Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Worst looking locomotive topic. Antidote to Best Looking Locomotive topic.

14 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

I will give you the Turbomotive. It has a certain grace to it. 

These German things, on the other hand: http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/germturb/germturb.htm

(Although some of the weirdness is from the condensing gear, rather than the turbine drive)

That’s actually quite an interesting picture, because it highlights a common feature of offenders against locomotive aesthetics - the wildly undersized boiler

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rockershovel said:

That’s actually quite an interesting picture, because it highlights a common feature of offenders against locomotive aesthetics - the wildly undersized boiler

The NCC W class are a good example of that. The extra 6" width of Irish classes often makes the boiler look way too small. 

https://www.railwaymagazine.co.uk/1515/rpsi-contemplates-ncc-mogul-new-build/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

The NCC W class are a good example of that. The extra 6" width of Irish classes often makes the boiler look way too small. 

True, but I tend to feel that it gives them a pre-Grouping appearance. That German thing appears to have a TT scale boiler on a OO chassis. 

1 hour ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

The moguls did have small boilers, in fact they were more or less the same as the ones used on LMS 2Ps. Still they didn't look as bad as the wippets which looked as if Roland Emmet had a hand in their design. 

On 20/07/2020 at 05:36, pH said:

I came across (fell over) this thing while looking for something else. No caption, or any information (where, when, why?) in the post in which it was included:

http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/file.php?1,file=22522,filename=rand203.jpg

There's also this conversion of a steam Climax loco to diesel power. You can see where the transverse shaft fitted, to the rear of the first truck.

http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/file.php?1,file=22542,filename=WesternLumber.Climax.Diesel.1959.MEH.small.jpg 

and this 'thing', called a 'Walking Dudley'. Basically a stationary engine mounted on a flat car which, by means of a wire rope wrapped round a rotating drum, hauled itself up and down steep inclines on a logging railway:

http://digital.westvanlibrary.ca/2838522/image/2135673

That last link is strange. On a phone, when you try to zoom in, the photo also rotates!

2 hours ago, Talltim said:

That last link is strange. On a phone, when you try to zoom in, the photo also rotates!

I’m using an I-phone. You can use two fingers to zoom the picture. Two fingers also rotate the picture. I use two fingers to zoom as far as possible, then use two fingers to rotate the picture to where I want it.

10 hours ago, pH said:

I’m using an I-phone. You can use two fingers to zoom the picture. Two fingers also rotate the picture. I use two fingers to zoom as far as possible, then use two fingers to rotate the picture to where I want it.

Me too. Just not sure why I’d want to rotate the pic. Never come across a photo gallery with that functionality before.

3 hours ago, Talltim said:

Me too. Just not sure why I’d want to rotate the pic. Never come across a photo gallery with that functionality before.

If the picture is a different shape to the screen... it’s in Photo Editor, for one. 

Edited by rockershovel

More than relatives, they are the same locomotive.

BBÖ 80 4911 was built in 1922, and was equipped with the ugly experimental heat exchanger apparatus in 1933.  It was given the nicknames “Lautsprecher" or “Bauernschreck”.  Apparently it was something of a success, but clearly not perpetuated.  The apparatus was removed in 1937.  After the anschluß the locomotive was renumbered in sequence with its “normal” classmates as DRB 57 305, but the depiction with this number in model form is inaccurate.

Post-war it was in Hungary and taken into MAV stock, before going to the Soviet Union in 1949.

From a first glance, there seems to be limited documentation, and even Douglas Self makes only scant reference.

Edited by EddieB
Better information.
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 06/08/2020 at 15:12, rockershovel said:

If the picture is a different shape to the screen... it’s in Photo Editor, for one. 

But how many people have their screen at a 47.5 degree angle? 

if you are using a monitor then it’s pretty much fixed and if you rotate the picture it’s wonky compared to horizontal. If you are using a phone or tablet you can just rotate the device to get portrait or landscape.

D43A989C-66BE-42D7-81BE-7298B7022E72.png

Edited by Talltim

On 10/08/2020 at 22:50, SHMD said:

..its for the driver to shout ahead "Steigen Sie aus der Linie - es kommt ein Zug"!

Kev.

I have a vision of a huge gramophone underneath, with a moustachioe’d operator (possibly with pickelhaube) playing selections from Lehar and the minor Strauss’s? 

That, or the Blue Danube as it enters stations? 

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I have a vision of a huge gramophone underneath, with a moustachioe’d operator (possibly with pickelhaube) playing selections from Lehar and the minor Strauss’s? 

That, or the Blue Danube as it enters stations? 

I rather fancy that this is more attuned to the machine's character

• Like 1

Apologies if somebody has already nailed this earlier (I'm a bit late to this particular party) but can I nominate a part of a locomotive? At the risk of upsetting Hoover fans.....

The Class 50 headcode/warning horn box. 

What WERE they thinking? I acknowledge that the front MU connections made a roof box inevitable but surely it didn't have to resemble a huge slab threatening to crush the cab. Why not a combination of Class 31 box shape and Class 25 horn positioning, maybe in styled nacelles? The lack of finesse suggests an afterthought which caught EE's designers by surprise and they just gave up. Horrible thing.

• Agree 2

Well I thought I might be kicking a hornet's nest! No doubting their popularity and we just accept the way they look after 53 years.

I'd agree with the Class 56 comment, but as I said, the requirement for a roof-mounted box isn't disputed, the BR-stipulated headcode display had to go somewhere and the cab front was a bit congested. It's just a shame it looked so.......functional. Installing the h/c display and two horns in one flat forward-facing panel wasn't a great solution, aesthetically speaking.

5 hours ago, Neil Phillips said:

Apologies if somebody has already nailed this earlier (I'm a bit late to this particular party) but can I nominate a part of a locomotive? At the risk of upsetting Hoover fans.....

The Class 50 headcode/warning horn box. 

What WERE they thinking? I acknowledge that the front MU connections made a roof box inevitable but surely it didn't have to resemble a huge slab threatening to crush the cab. Why not a combination of Class 31 box shape and Class 25 horn positioning, maybe in styled nacelles? The lack of finesse suggests an afterthought which caught EE's designers by surprise and they just gave up. Horrible thing.

Hi Neil,

What was wrong with DP2 is the question you should be asking, that locomotive had proper EECo. styling.

Gibbo.

• Agree 1