Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Worst looking locomotive topic. Antidote to Best Looking Locomotive topic.

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, £1.38 said:

I have drawings if you want to give it a try ;)

Is this ugly?

84122.jpg.f0b65cac458aebb4c59a7b7c5aaa791a.jpg

Needs a bit of paint and a good going over with copious quantities of t-cut, but that aside, it's got a certain presence. 

• Agree 5

Cable haulage using rope grippers is actually quite different, technically. The actual prime mover isn’t on the moving carriage, for one thing. It provides positive support for changes of direction, and the radii are very large. The rope can be much stronger because it doesn’t need the flexibility. The forces in the rope can be much higher because the rope is stronger, and the place it DOES need to bend - at the driving and return drums - can be as large as required, and provided with positive, fixed alignment control. It’s an old technology which has worked well in its designed applications. 

Edited by rockershovel

15 hours ago, pH said:

.... which is actually, a good illustration of the practical application of the principle; it requires only that the endpoints be fixed, and there are plenty of tree stumps in the woods (even allowing for the ones occupied by incontinent pontiffs... ). The whole installation is highly portable and the overall length, whatever is required. 

• RMweb Gold
On 02/10/2020 at 12:13, rockershovel said:

Cable haulage using rope grippers is actually quite different, technically. The actual prime mover isn’t on the moving carriage, for one thing. It provides positive support for changes of direction, and the radii are very large. The rope can be much stronger because it doesn’t need the flexibility. The forces in the rope can be much higher because the rope is stronger, and the place it DOES need to bend - at the driving and return drums - can be as large as required, and provided with positive, fixed alignment control. It’s an old technology which has worked well in its designed applications. 

Only in lifts as far as I can see.

23 pages and no mention of the WHR's Russell as cut down for use on the Ffestiniog?

whr_cutdownrussell.jpg.9f6356473a0a497a4c4bec326e65ec68.jpg

Absolutely hideous (though this picture obscures the true horror of the dome), especially considering the attractiveness of the engine as originally built, and to top it off the mutilation was pointless as the clearances on the Ffestiniog were still too tight.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I know money was tight and under Col. Stephens a bit like rocking horse doodoo, but a restyled cab and capped chimney could have made this a sleek and powerful, modern looking locomotive; it's the brutality of the chopping down that jars!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I know it was a shocking mutilation but to me the cut-down Russell was an essential part of the Welsh Highland image and because there are so many more photos of it in this form than in its original state, the restored machine is to me not really "Russell".

I wonder if its custodians have ever considered manufacturing an alternative set of fittings so it could on occasions appear in 1930's guise.

And I can't help thinking that Russell's companion Moel Tryfan actually looked slightly better after being cut down; its original cab and chimney look to me disproportionately  tall for its long, low form.

https://www.welshhighlandheritage.co.uk/whrhg_gallery/locos/moel-tryfan/

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Russell looks fine to me. They should have got rid of the brass dome though as otherwise it looks quite modern.

Has a bit of an Avonside look.

spacer.png

Photo Ben Brooksbank Wiki.

Jason

Im inclined to agree - the dome is simply poor workmanship, but otherwise the same comments occur about the rebuilt Alco 2-6-2T which I actually quite liked. 

12 minutes ago, maico said:

Industrial fireless steam accumlator locomotives can look fugly. They were used where there was a steam source like power stations and in plants where there was a danger of fire and explosion.

9fa68e0e-9833-4769-802a-4daca2d7dc76.jpg

Ah well, that's a foreign one! Our home-grown Bagnalls, Barclays and even a Peckett looked quite nice (although the Peckett in particular looks a lot less nice in its current guise with no cladding - a fate which has sadly befallen many fireless locos).

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

Ah well, that's a foreign one! Our home-grown Bagnalls, Barclays and even a Peckett looked quite nice (although the Peckett in particular looks a lot less nice in its current guise with no cladding - a fate which has sadly befallen many fireless locos).

Is that because the cladding is asbestos?

Steam tram locomotives are generally boxy and ugly, but this one surely beats the lot when it comes to aesthetic horror

image.png.cd1751df287ebeb7b093d4363659a25e.png

Make a model of that and no-one will believe you actually finished it.

• Like 1