Jump to content

Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Worst looking locomotive topic. Antidote to Best Looking Locomotive topic.


Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, russ p said:

Don't think I've ever seen a 2-6-4 tender engine before.  Tender looks like  one of those door closers 

They are Austrian, and being Compounds feature in John van Riemsdyk's 'Compound Locomotives' book. I've just finished reading this, and it's a must for anyone who wants to look at photos of ugly locomotives. Just because the Midland managed to make some beautiful looking compounds didn't stop the rest of the World producing weird and ugly ones. 

 

Speaking of the Midland, how about the NCC's 3 foot gauge Atlantic tanks for ugliness? 

https://www.ballycastlehistory.com/meccano-magazine-1937.html 

 

 

 

  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

GWR 15xx (Wiki commons image)

1200px-GWR_Class_15xx_0-6-0_No_1501_(758

 

And their possible 'inspirations' the USA tanks ( Wikipedia image)

 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USATC_S100_Class#/media/File%3AKESR_22_Maunsell_(Southern_62).JPG

 

 

Both functional admittedly but well away from the Victorian elegance of, say, the Midland Spinners or Compounds.

 

More up to date, Duck-face Shinkansen (Japan-guide.com image)

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2018_tokaido.html

Edited by Ramblin Rich
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jonny777 said:

For EMUs I would have to say these things. 

 

1280215047_458022claphamjunc902.jpg.c948fd8031fb53287bfccadf4f9ea524.jpg

 

 

I mean, they already had the cab design of the 442s. To cut costs they could have ditched the curved cab windows; but who in heavens name thought this was a decent front end design for a 21st century train?

 

I’d say the cold dead hand of Oliver Bulleid has a part to play, by way of the SUBs, EPBs, CEP/CIG etc, PEP and derivates, 313s, eyc
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, number6 said:

Is there an aesthetically pleasing Irish loco? 

 

Most of them.

 

A fair few were virtually exact copies of Midland Railway locomotives.

 

Dunluce Castle is very similar to a 2P.

 

spacer.png

 

How about Maeve? Looks a bit like a Royal Scot.

 

spacer.png

 

Fowler 2-6-4T

 

spacer.png

 

Then there was all the Caledonian influenced 4-4-0 and 0-6-0s.

 

 

 

 

Jason

 

  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, jonny777 said:

For EMUs I would have to say these things. 

 

1280215047_458022claphamjunc902.jpg.c948fd8031fb53287bfccadf4f9ea524.jpg

 

 

I mean, they already had the cab design of the 442s. To cut costs they could have ditched the curved cab windows; but who in heavens name thought this was a decent front end design for a 21st century train?

 

Reminds me of those breeds of dog that look like they've run in to a wall at speed.

  • Like 1
  • Funny 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

The original DMU's for the Glasgow - Edinburgh service - the Class 126, has to be considered as one of the worst looking.

 

That batch had a reasonable cab front, but the intermediate cars for joining 2 x 3 car sets had an a gangway connection instead and looked simply awful. They later had the corridor connectors removed, but did this improve the front end at all - not in the slightest! The later batches for the Ayr services had split 4 character either side of the gangway.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

The original DMU's for the Glasgow - Edinburgh service - the Class 126, has to be considered as one of the worst looking.

 

That batch had a reasonable cab front, but the intermediate cars for joining 2 x 3 car sets had an a gangway connection instead and looked simply awful. They later had the corridor connectors removed, but did this improve the front end at all - not in the slightest! The later batches for the Ayr services had split 4 character either side of the gangway.

 

Thanks Kevin, I had forgotten about those. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

 

Most of them.

 

A fair few were virtually exact copies of Midland Railway locomotives.

 

Dunluce Castle is very similar to a 2P.

 

spacer.png

 

How about Maeve? Looks a bit like a Royal Scot.

 

spacer.png

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jason

 

 

That is a pretty-looking locomotive. Looks like it has a touch of a Jubilee about it. Stanier gets everywhere!

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jonny777 said:

 

Thanks Kevin, I had forgotten about those. 

I used to go to school at Bishopbriggs for a few years and these monstrosities went past all day. One day, one broke down opposite the school grounds, it took at least an hour to shift it. There was a huge bank up of other trains behind it.

 

I did see some of the trials for the Push-Pull services, some with Class 37's or 25's.

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, jonny777 said:

For EMUs I would have to say these things. 

 

1280215047_458022claphamjunc902.jpg.c948fd8031fb53287bfccadf4f9ea524.jpg

 

 

I mean, they already had the cab design of the 442s. To cut costs they could have ditched the curved cab windows; but who in heavens name thought this was a decent front end design for a 21st century train?

 

A Class 126 with fairings?

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

I'll offer up the South African S class. But, once again, it does what it says on the tin (well, sort of) 

 

There is also an Australian (or Tasmanian) Garrat that is a real horror. The chief engineer resigned, rather than be associated with it (allegedly).   

Link to post
Share on other sites

I must confess to a soft spot for many of the nominees, from the Q1 to the Gölsdorf 2-6-4.

 

Here’s my bête noir (or its Spanish equivalent), a Crosti conversion of a Norte 2-8-0.  (Not my photo).

 

image.jpeg.f83ec0a48949193901ea7f9bb20eba6b.jpeg

  • Like 6
  • Agree 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, EddieB said:

I must confess to a soft spot for many of the nominees, from the Q1 to the Gölsdorf 2-6-4.

 

Here’s my bête noir (or its Spanish equivalent), a Crosti conversion of a Norte 2-8-0.  (Not my photo).

 

image.jpeg.f83ec0a48949193901ea7f9bb20eba6b.jpeg

 

The Ford Edsel of the locomotive world!

(Google edsel and see...)

  • Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

 

That is a pretty-looking locomotive. Looks like it has a touch of a Jubilee about it. Stanier gets everywhere!

 

Not bad but they do look a bit like a knock-off version of the real thing! Or a sketch done without looking at the subject. I’m very keen on funny proportioned old fashioned tinplate models and lots of Irish prototypes have that air about them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tomparryharry said:

I'll offer up the South African S class. But, once again, it does what it says on the tin (well, sort of) 

 

There is also an Australian (or Tasmanian) Garrat that is a real horror. The chief engineer resigned, rather than be associated with it (allegedly).   

You mean the Australian Standard Garratt?

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Standard_Garratt

 

Some were built in the Victorian railways workshop, where apparently they were considered so bad that they refused to attach their builders plates!

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...