Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Worst looking locomotive topic. Antidote to Best Looking Locomotive topic.

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

Criticising the G*R....

More dangerous than  Covid-19

Yep. They can sometimes be quite funny those that worship at Swindon....  ;) 

I'm surprised there hasn't been much criticism of some of the LNER experimental monstrosities.

How about the B12 Hiker?

Not the normal B12 as they are fine, but the ones with the feedwater heater on the top of the boiler. Half way down this page.

https://www.lner.info/locos/B/b12.php

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

There's a "film" of the Camden and Aboy loco here

https://youtu.be/qcgd0OQUTBc?t=136

I have now found three photograph of this beast and must apologise to the shade of the 19th Century artist who drew it. It really did look like that (and in fact was obviously coped from this photograph

1784404171_No50crampton.jpg.ecc864430573c3f558c2305b076e2286.jpg

Thie above is claimed to be the oldest photograph of an American locomotive though another image, a daguerreotype perhaps?, actually looks older

2127754978_CamdenAboy6-2-0vearlyphoto.jpg.5b5c218cd0ea116f3d7a945f8b07e47d.jpg

Clearly te driver and fireman didn't have to be on speaking terms as they occupied totally separate places of work.

1786941518_CamdenAboy6-2-0sideelevation.jpg.bf59c57c885882dd0b5c9a76aac88987.jpg

1982885719_CamdenAboy6-2-0sideview.jpg.382da91b287e11cfbc52b762da1e33da.jpg

Note in this third photo the brakeman's hutch in the back of what looks like a combined tender and caboose. The wooden infilling between the spokes of the driver was apparently common practice for the flywheels of mill engines in Britain at that time though never adopted here for locomotives.

It's curious that these locos are so odd looking because the Norris brothers buit other Cramptons that don't look like they were designed by W. Heath Robinson after a heavy night in the pub .  The 6-2-0s didn't fare well on the C&A

https://www.steamlocomotive.com/locobase.php?country=USA&wheel=6-2-0&railroad=ca

Apparently the track wasn't up to the speeds they were capable of so all eight of them were converted to 4-4-0 "Americans" and in the form  survived into the 1860s.

The top photo, it looks as if the cab is half a Stanier brake van!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, kevinlms said:

The top photo, it looks as if the cab is half a Stanier brake van!

OH BL00DY DEAR!!!!!!!!!!! and yes I am shouting.

Mike

23 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

It looks like they just couldn't help themselves and modelled it on a US Stagecoach? With one big wheel at the back, and the driver sitting high up.

stagecoach.jpg.196b86fea9df65edea414a790980842b.jpg

Ref/ (C) https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/332210909987210259/

Hi Keith

The first "Concord" coach- the type we associate with the classic Western- was built in 1827 by the Abbot-Downing Co. (of Condord New Hampshire. However, the Butterfield Overland Mail line - that later became the Wells Fargo stage line - opened in 1858, some nine years after the Camden and Aboy took delivery of their first 6-2-0. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 16/03/2020 at 14:05, EddieB said:

I must confess to a soft spot for many of the nominees, from the Q1 to the Gölsdorf 2-6-4.

Here’s my bête noir (or its Spanish equivalent), a Crosti conversion of a Norte 2-8-0.  (Not my photo).

image.jpeg.f83ec0a48949193901ea7f9bb20eba6b.jpeg

I understand this to be the only locomotive designed by Edvard Munch...

• Funny 12

25 minutes ago, eldomtom2 said:

Taste differ - to my eyes the "hiker" B12s are fine, while the B12/3s are an abombination.

One of the few decent things that Gresley did was smoothing out the B12s. Pity they weren't very good though. I think that was down to the original being pretty poor. They only just squeeze into being a 4P.

Anyone who thinks the GER version is better looking than this needs to go to Specsavers. :blind:

spacer.png

Photo Tony Hisgett from Wiki

Jason

• Like 1

This is by far the most unpleasant ignorant thread on rmweb. No one has begun to try to define beauty or ugliness. 

Many posts have starred as the designer’s muse for creations on “lmaginary locomotives”.

We live in isolationist times. My favourite book “Russian Steam Locomotives” has been withdrawn from Blaydon Library.

dh

PS

I bet you lot would even be rude about my steam horse personal identifier!

43 minutes ago, Niels said:

Whale  removed the outside cylinders from  the Webb 4-6-0 scheme and made Experiments/Prince of Wales that according to Riddles was very good locomotives.

Where did that story come from?  The Experiments had larger wheels, longer wheelbase and a bigger boiler, a totally different locomotive even if they incorporated some parts (shades of rebuilding Claughtons into Patriots).  They also looked heaps better!

Years ago I remember some video footage in a Railscene vid featuring some incredibly ugly outside framed 0-6-4 tank locos. I think the feature was around Liverpool Docks, but I could be wrong about that. A quick Google suggests they originated on the Mersey Railway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mersey_Railway#/media/File:Mersey_Railway_No._5_Cecil_Raikes.jpg

• RMweb Gold
On 17/03/2020 at 00:30, DavidB-AU said:

I'm going to offend a few people and say the NBL Type 2. It looks like the nose fell off and reminds me of an aircraft in the boneyard with the radome missing.

I'll see your NBL Type 2, and raise you the Metro-Vick Type 2. Unequal bogies, flat front seemingly designed to look sad, definitely driven at some speed* into an ugly wall. I am surprised not mentioned earlier!

*Said for effect, not actually capable...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

36 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

SNCB AM96 EMU no. 461, Lille Flandres

We've had the EMU mated with Bender from Futurama; these look like Kenny from South Park!

On 16/03/2020 at 23:08, DavidB-AU said:

If an EMU mated with Bender from Futurama...

640px-Am86_-_train_-_belgium.jpg

180F8E50-44AE-4633-861C-6C4D9052BDB2.jpeg

Looks like it’s time for a South Park- Kenny lookalike competition!!!!

Edited by 43110andyb
Edit caption.
  • Funny 2

12 minutes ago, 43110andyb said:

180F8E50-44AE-4633-861C-6C4D9052BDB2.jpeg

Looks like it’s time for a South Park- Kenny lookalike competition!!!!

2 minutes ago, DavidB-AU said:

The SNCB AM96 is basically an IR4, but uglier.

Ir4.jpg

One more candidate for a 3 horse race!

• Agree 1