Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Worst looking locomotive topic. Antidote to Best Looking Locomotive topic.

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, russ p said:

Why does this have a space invaders game on the nose end?

It does look like that.

For some bizarre reason it has a rolling full colour display giving info about the train service.

Apart from when it pulls into a staion you aren't likely to see it and even then anything more than the destination would be difficult to read.

• Informative/Useful 2

7 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Another Japanese EMU with a very Japanese face:)

E655%E3%81%8A%E5%8F%AC%E3%81%97%E5%88%97

That's the Imperial Royal Train. It's usually a 5 car luxury charter train but one extra car can be added when required for the Emperor.

Cheers

David

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

image.png.fac2fda8fbe20b9c5f6e589065f495d5.png

Came across this one by accident while looking for pictures of the 2-6-0 Crosti's that I copped back in 1975 at Cremona.

Is this ugly or just plain weird? Has anyone ever build a cab forward steam loco that looks "right"?

PS: It's a Fleury postcard and apparently OK to post if source acknowledged.

Edit: Postcard text says that the fuel was carried on the loco. Not sure where but perhaps in a compartment/bunker to the right of the driving position? And they could surely have made a bit more of an effort with the tender.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DavidB-AU said:

That's the Imperial Royal Train. It's usually a 5 car luxury charter train but one extra car can be added when required for the Emperor.

Cheers

David

That has not got a Japanese face. The eyes are wrong. (That's a joke, folks)

Seriously, why is this on the ugly thread. I think it is superb. And what a good idea to have a Royal Train that has the versatility to be used for luxury charter work as well. I'm sure that would go well here.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Came across this one by accident while looking for pictures of the 2-6-0 Crosti's that I copped back in 1975 at Cremona.

Is this ugly or just plain weird? Has anyone ever build a cab forward steam loco that looks "right"?

I suppose this poses the question of how to describe its wheel arrangement, Is it a 4-6-0 or an 0-6-4?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Andy Kirkham said:

I suppose this poses the question of how to describe its wheel arrangement, Is it a 4-6-0 or an 0-6-4?

The text on the post says that it is designed to run in reverse. So your question is apposite.

44 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Seriously, why is this on the ugly thread. I think it is superb. And what a good idea to have a Royal Train that has the versatility to be used for luxury charter work as well. I'm sure that would go well here.

This is a dual voltage EMU. I suspect some sort of bi-mode would be an ideal replacement for the British Royal Train.

Cheers

David

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, DavidB-AU said:

This is a dual voltage EMU. I suspect some sort of bi-mode would be an ideal replacement for the British Royal Train.

Cheers

David

Yes, royal train/charter train here has to be diesel or bi-mode because we have so much non-electrified track mileage.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

Cheers

David

I'm sure we could cobble something together with withdrawn Pacer or "D" stock.:D

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

The text on the post says that it is designed to run in reverse. So your question is apposite.

Is the Peckett W4 (and most small 0-4-0Ts) a "cab forward" when going backwards?

Yes, I know. Coat.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tiptonian said:

Is the Peckett W4 (and most small 0-4-0Ts) a "cab forward" when going backwards?

Yes, I know. Coat.

The locomotives on the Glyn Valley Tramway were supposed to always run cab-forward, as shown in all but one of these pictures https://www.chirk.org.uk/tramway.html and had a turntable at each end of the line to facilitate this.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Edit: Postcard text says that the fuel was carried on the loco. Not sure where but perhaps in a compartment/bunker to the right of the driving position? And they could surely have made a bit more of an effort with the tender.

There's more info here (including the version with a Crosti boiler). For extra comedy value, note that the 2 high pressure cyclinder on one one side, and the low pressure ones on the other....

http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/italy/460.htm

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Another beastie

CBf90RT4-vFVwQQZdY-_XxaI2tnfZVGzJOiw7wTg

The Thulie cab forward.

The driver and fireman are obviously not on speaking terms:jester:

In a similar vein:

GXEwEdGMndHKegpSOl6CvJbjGXYKF6WNA6eZxyNQ

Those are both seriously weird. The forward cab seems to be an afterthought.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Some of the experiments on the LMS Royal Scots, to prevent drifting smoke obscuring drivers vision were plain bizarre.

Some can be seen here.

https://www.national-preservation.com/threads/fowler-royal-scot-class-lms-era-6161-6169-built-1930.1296474/

The airflow arrangement is similar to the Bulleid spamcans, though I agree that the Madonna-style smokebox door is a little unusual (did it really need to be that exact shape?).

4 hours ago, melmerby said:

What about this abomination:

iSajDIe7NHjkxBsDdbT7W_73oif4pPWaLdMS04Mh

Is this a Trethivic thing from Egypt?

An interesting way of extracting last heat from smoke like in a Franco-Crosti,where it did not really work either