British Sugar - J79 Cantley No. 2

josh993

Good Afternoon,

Im currently in the process of finishing a 7mm kit for a J79 and looking at the livery I might finish the model in.

On the basis that I normally model the Eastern Region Early BR period, it would make sense for me to finish the J79 in an industrial Livery as finishing it in LNER would put it out of place with the rest of my collection. It would also perhaps give an excuse for an industrial line on any future layout.

Having done some research during the build, it was evident 1 of the 3 J79s was sold off to British Sugar at Cantley, however I haven't been able to find any pictures of it or little information about it while it was in their ownership.

Jim McGeown finished his model in this livery of which there are photos on his website and in the instructions. After a recent chat with him, he advised at the time of finishing the model he didn't have any pictures to hand, but had since seen some and advised that the Logo/Numbering/Naming was somewhat different to how he had finished his model but couldn't recall where he had seen/came accross them.

Does anyone have any pictures of know of any books that perhaps contain any information and/or photos of this particular engine?

Thanks in Advance

Kind Regards

Josh

See LNER Encyclopedia online for class details and variations.

No. 1662 was purchased by the British Sugar Beet Corporation who used it at their Cantley factory near Norwich. It was withdrawn in 1955 and scrapped by 1957.

Interesting idea for a layout!

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, josh993 said:

Good Afternoon,

Im currently in the process of finishing a 7mm kit for a J79 and looking at the livery I might finish the model in.

On the basis that I normally model the Eastern Region Early BR period, it would make sense for me to finish the J79 in an industrial Livery as finishing it in LNER would put it out of place with the rest of my collection. It would also perhaps give an excuse for an industrial line on any future layout.

Having done some research during the build, it was evident 1 of the 3 J79s was sold off to British Sugar at Cantley, however I haven't been able to find any pictures of it or little information about it while it was in their ownership.

Jim McGeown finished his model in this livery of which there are photos on his website and in the instructions. After a recent chat with him, he advised at the time of finishing the model he didn't have any pictures to hand, but had since seen some and advised that the Logo/Numbering/Naming was somewhat different to how he had finished his model but couldn't recall where he had seen/came accross them.

Does anyone have any pictures of know of any books that perhaps contain any information and/or photos of this particular engine?

Thanks in Advance

Kind Regards

Josh

I'm currently building a 4mm version *loosely* based on the same kit. I can't add anything to what you already have I'm afraid, other than to say that you are right, and that I haven't come across any photos. Presumably you have photos of the loco in its pre-Cantley condition? 

The incorrect livery is the least of this kit's worries...

I don’t have the relevant volume of Yeadon (43B), but can confirm that there are no photos in the RCTS “green book”. There are single b&w illustrations in the Industrial Railway Society’s handbook for East Anglia (although not very clear), Gordon Edgar’s “Industrial Locomotives & Railways of Eastern England” (rather better) and Frank Jones’ “From Mainline to Industry” (good).

1 hour ago, Wickham Green said:

If your layout is early BR period, a very care-worn LNER livery would be perfectly plausible.

Not considering that all three were sold in the 1930s.

All three J79s were marked for withdrawal in 1935 but they were not actually withdrawn until sales could be finalised. No. 1787 was given to the Bowes Railway in August 1936 as compensation for a locomotive that was run-down and destroyed by an LNER train near Jarrow. This became Bowes No. 5 and was scrapped in 1946.

No. 407 was sold to Whitwood Chemical Co. of Castleford in June 1937. Renamed Jean, No. 407 worked at a number of locations. It finally made its way to NCB Middleton Broom Colliery (Leeds) in 1947. It was dismantled in 1949 and was eventually scrapped by 1954. No. 1662 was purchased by the British Sugar Beet Corporation who used it at their Cantley factory near Norwich. It was withdrawn in 1955 and scrapped by 1957.

From. https://www.lner.info/locos/J/j79.php

Jason

10 minutes ago, Wickham Green said:

Don't forget lots of things didn't get painted in the forties - unless it was in camouflage green - so a loco scrapped in the early fifties could have still carried the livery it left main line service in the late thirties - I think one of the Brighton E1s did.

Except the photos show the J79 was deliveries with a company monogram.