Exhibition cancellations (not much to do with that anymore!)

AY Mod

Hull MRS Summer show

Please note that our summer show, due to have taken place on the 13th  June is for obvious reasons now cancelled.

We hope to return in 2021

Please note, we are still, fates willing, going ahead with our main show in November,

Updates for the latter will as ever be on our website : www.hullmrs.org

Ken Gibbons

Hon. Chmn.

Hull MRS 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Wakefield RMS 2020 Show.

in light of the present situation the club has decided that there will be no Wakefield RMS Exhibition in 2020. 

when things become clearer the Club will arrange a smaller scale event, date venue etc will be published through the normal Channels.

a date and venue has been secured for 2021. 

all traders and exhibitors should have received an email informing them of the cancellation and plans for 2021

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 21/03/2020 at 16:05, Colin_McLeod said:

As far as some people I know are concerned, I am making social distancing a permanent feature.  One person in particular (not railway connected) has this annoying habit of grabbing one by the lower arm and talking right in ones face.  He will not be doing that to me again.

Yes, but that stands a chance of being successful in Co Kerry!

• Like 1

Cupar Model Rail 2020 - July 18th & 19th 2020 (Cancelled)

We had hoped to be able to avoid this, following a meeting of the club we have taken the tough decision to cancel our 2020 Exhibition in July. 

This has not been taken lightly, but given the uncertainty surrounding the timescales of the virus it is unlikely we will be able to put on the show this year.

Cupar Model Rail will return in 2021, and details will be posted on our social media pages and our website in due course. 

We want to apologise for any disappointment that this may cause, but I’m sure you will all understand the reasoning behind our decision.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Posting the below on behalf of the Railway Enthusiasts Club, Farnborough.

CANCELLATION OF THE 2020 REC MODEL RAILWAY EXHIBITION

Following much deliberation over the past few weeks, it is with great regret that we have now concluded we have no alternative other than to cancel the 2020 REC Exhibition that was planned to be held at the Woking Leisure Centre over the weekend of 12 & 13 September this year.

The health and wellbeing of our Members, Exhibitors and Visitors must be our key priority, and you will no doubt appreciate that given the present uncertainty, particularly concerning the extension of social isolation well into the Autumn (if not the end of the year), that it would have been somewhat unwise to have continued with our planning for this event, only to have been forced into the same conclusion nearer the time.   Rather than delay the decision further, we therefore believe it to be in everyone’s best interests to act now.

In line with a number of other organisations who have found themselves in a similar situation to ourselves and having cancelled events later this year, we are assuming that everything will have returned to some degree of normality by next year.  As such, we are provisionally planning for holding our next Model Railway Exhibition over the weekend of September 11/12, 2021, once again at the Woking Leisure Centre, and will distribute publicity regarding this in due course.

We wish to thank you for your continued support for the REC Exhibition, particularly at this difficult time and trust that you, your families and colleagues, remain safe and well over the coming months.

Kevin Fry

REC Secretary & Exhibition Manager

Details of future exhibitions and club activities can be found on the Club's main website www.rec-farnborough.org.uk or the Club's exhibition website www.recexhibition.org.uk

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

CANCELLATION OF EXMOOR RAIL

After much consideration The Exmoor Coast Railway Modellers have reluctantly decided to cancel their show this year which would have taken place on Saturday 1st August.

Naturally the priority must be the health and wellbeing of the exhibitors, traders, demonstrators,  societies, our club members and of course members of the public. We have been in touch with the venue and we have booked the venue for 2021, which will be on Saturday 7th August - assuming the situation is back to normal by then.  This will be our rescheduled 10th anniversary show instead!

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Railex Poynton 5/6th Sept 2020.

We have concluded not to have our 35 layout show at the leisure centre this year for obvious reasons.

If the world is open for business on this weekend?  For 2020 we will be staging a smaller show at the Bulls Head pub SK12 1AG on the same weekend including our core contributing groups and a few smaller quality local layouts and traders. Our main show will return in 2021.

All exhibitors and traders are being contacted by phone as of yesterday and details of the smaller 2020 and our 2021 events will be published and noted on our website railexpoynton.co.uk once we know ourselves, so pls bear with us for further information.

Mark Henshaw

Exhibition Manager

Railex Poynton

Edited by Long Line
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Croydon Model Railway Society have decided to cancel their 2020 exhibition, scheduled for 11th and 12th October.
Even if germageddon is well and truly over by then, apparently the school may well need to use the halls for late exams.
Keep safe all.

We'll be back in 2021.

Edited by Phatbob
Typo
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

As a member of Hawick and District Railway Society I learned today that the committee took a decision yesterday evening to cancel the Border Rail 2020 exhibition which would normally have been held at the August Bank Holiday Weekend.   With so much still to organise, and the extension made to the government lockdown, it was felt that time was against us, and particularly when our age group is likely to be the last to be 'released' from the gradual easing of the restrictions.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
2 minutes ago, steve1 said:

I’m really missing exhibitions as both an exhibitor and a punter...

There's a lot of things that a lot of people miss Steve, some far, far more important than visiting an exhibition so it's a small thing to have to suck up; probably for the rest of the year.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

That is certainly true for most of us but for some (a few, perhaps) people going to model railway exhibitions (or similar activities) form an important part of their day-to-day lives, their patterns of living and their overall mental health.

Andrew

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Paul A Biro said:

but for some (a few, perhaps) people going to model railway exhibitions (or similar activities) form an important part of their day-to-day lives,

Sorry, that isn't 'day-to-day' life, it's a 'nice-to-have'. Seeing close family and being able to return to work will hopefully come a bit higher up the list than recreational activities in enclosed spaces. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

25 minutes ago, Paul A Biro said:

That is certainly true for most of us but for some (a few, perhaps) people going to model railway exhibitions (or similar activities) form an important part of their day-to-day lives, their patterns of living and their overall mental health.

Andrew

Whilst model trains are clearly not “essential”, I think you make a good point about the impact of lock down, particularly those who live alone and may not work, on their mental health.  Hopefully, forums like this can provide an element of that  camaraderie and the ability to admire some fantastic modelling.

David

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Sorry, that isn't 'day-to-day' life, it's a 'nice-to-have'. Seeing close family and being able to return to work will hopefully come a bit higher up the list than recreational activities in enclosed spaces. 

Sorry but I think your reaction is a little harsh towards someone, who may not work, may not have close family, who sees the model railway world as their family. This time has made us all isolated and belittling anyone’s struggles, ever how minor we may see  them does not help. I know I have meet people in the modelling community who live alone, live very much for their hobby, their world revolves around routine and their hobby. This routine has been developed over decades to deal with anxiety and depression and it is very hard to see the big picture when the routine is taken away. 

I would agree with a lot of your sentiment about wanting to get back to normal, but in reality, that could be as far as 12 months away. I would also agree no exhibitions this year, my gut feeling is that there will be no mass gatherings before April next year or we are all vaccinated.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Tricky-CRS said:

belittling anyone’s struggles, ever how minor we may see  them does not help. I know I have meet people in the modelling community who live alone, live very much for their hobby, their world revolves around routine and their hobby.

I'm not belittling anyone and I do know what the hobby means to anyone in that position but it doesn't have to involve exhibitions which will be a high risk environment.

It is not in anyone's interest to have a show until they can have viable attendances with safety, irrespective of any wellbeing issues.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Sadly, we have taken the now inevitable decision that the 2020 Swansea Bay Model Railway Exhibition, due to be held at the Margam Orangery in late mid-September, has had to be cancelled. Our largest exhibiting layout had already pulled out a few weeks back for understandable reasons at their end, the venue is closed and we do not know when it will reopen, hotel accommodation for distant visiting exhibitors could not be booked and, even if the current restrictions are significantly relaxed by the Autumn, large events and mass gatherings may still not be permitted. Consequently, the decision not to go ahead had in many ways been taken for us by other circumstances.

All exhibitors and traders have been contacted already [although some may have yet to see the e-mail].

Tony

Edited by Prometheus
Doltish grammar
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

It is difficult to know when the next exhibition will be.

I have never organised one but understand that we don't know how long it will take for things to get back to normal.

When will things be considered safe?

You can't just organise an exhibition for tomorrow. It takes time & notice to advertise & organise shows.

Will visitors be keen to get out immediately after the government decides that the economy is worth the risk of people gathering?

These are all unknowns. We must be patient.

Exhibitions bring money into the hobby, usually to support clubs. I am sure nobody wants the hobby to lose money by risking a show which could get cancelled at short notice.

Cancellations of shows a few months away, such as Swansea's in September, is surely a sensible decision at this time.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

It is difficult to know when the next exhibition will be.

I have never organised one but understand that we don't know how long it will take for things to get back to normal.

Whatever will constitute the 'new' normal!

• Agree 5