Exhibition cancellations (not much to do with that anymore!)

AY Mod

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

One of the problems they face is the arrangements to enter and pay.  Most have an entry lane system of some sort which acts as both a queuing system and security check.  Not many have wide multiple entrances.  Then there is the car parking which can be tightly packed.  

If one restricts entry to a smaller number of people in total then alternate car park bays could be coned / taped off to avoid adjacent parking.  But then the total number paying to enter may not be sufficient to ensure revenue covers the costs of staffing.  It may be more cost-effective to have staff remain on furlough and the site closed.  In addition to which catering often supports the total budget and operation; with little or no catering option and possibly no public toilets open then the locations have little choice but to await further easing of government conditions.  

I cannot speak for any specific location but I know this to be a main reason why certain open-air spaces are still closed such as Kew Gardens.  

There are two factors at play:

1) Has the Government told the venues they can open if they can do so in a safe manner?

2) Is it economically practical for them to do so?

As far as I am aware, the Government has not yet announced that open air museums can reopen.

(2) of course will vary from one museum to another. Some museums are volunteer-run and therefore there would be no cost incurred in doing so (assuming the volunteers aren't shielding and are happy to reopen). Others, like you say have staffing costs, although even there some staff have probably been retained to maintain the site. I suspect museums in the first category are probably keen for to Government to tell them they can open, those in the second category may want Government to keep them closed  for a bit longer!

Ideally the museums would only sell tickets online, which would save people travelling to the area and being turned away, and would reduce crowding in the car parks, as well as reducing queuing at the entrance.

19 hours ago, andyman7 said:

The definition of 'safe' can never be quantified. You might have an accident on the way to an exhibition but did that stop people going beforehand? In general no, because their own perception of the risk discounted that as a reason not to go.

We discount road risk from everyday activities because we believe we are in control (half true) but also because most of us haven't been involved in a serious road accident so we believe them to be things which happens to other people.

But we've all had flu, and indeed we expect to catch something every so often, but apart from feeling a bit ropey for a couple of days most of us get over it quite quickly and crack on, albeit whilst mainlining Lemsip. So faced wih something as easy to catch as flu, but with potentially fatal consequences for far more of us than normal, we dont dismiss the risk as easily because suddenly it isn't something which happens to other people. So people do crazy things like refusing to send their kids back to school next month because its too risky but take them for a far riskier 40 mile drive for 'exercise' instead. The general public does not perceive risk logically, its as simple as that. 

What I don't get is taping off every other parking space! Your car isn't going to catch anything and unless everybody tries to get in and out of their cars at the same time, surely it's overkill !

Guest Half-full
51 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

We discount road risk from everyday activities because we believe we are in control (half true) but also because most of us haven't been involved in a serious road accident so we believe them to be things which happens to other people.

But we've all had flu, and indeed we expect to catch something every so often, but apart from feeling a bit ropey for a couple of days most of us get over it quite quickly and crack on, albeit whilst mainlining Lemsip. So faced wih something as easy to catch as flu, but with potentially fatal consequences for far more of us than normal, we dont dismiss the risk as easily because suddenly it isn't something which happens to other people. So people do crazy things like refusing to send their kids back to school next month because its too risky but take them for a far riskier 40 mile drive for 'exercise' instead. The general public does not perceive risk logically, its as simple as that. 

What I don't get is taping off every other parking space! Your car isn't going to catch anything and unless everybody tries to get in and out of their cars at the same time, surely it's overkill !

I wouldnt go as far to say we've all had the flu, real flu is brutal and lasts weeks, we've all had bad colds though!

A local retail park to me has taped off every other space to try control the crowds, on the few times I've been since lockdown, I've seen either a BMW or Audi parked in the taped off spaces.  Not any other make!  Entitled?  Most probably yes.  Far to much of the general public think they are something special and that rules dont apply to them, these are the ones that will continue to spread the virus, unfortunately there is no vaccine for idiocy.

On that note, whilst queuing to get into B&M, an ******** of a person dumped his Audi across the disabled spaces, jumped out and tried to march straight in the door.  The shop assistant on the door stopped him, he blurted out that he'll get her sacked as "Im rich as ****"(!), to which she replied, "if you are, you wouldnt be shopping in here, now **** off"  cue a laughing crowd and retreating idiot!  That made queuing more pleasant!

• RMweb Gold

I wouldnt go as far to say we've all had the flu, real flu is brutal and lasts weeks, we've all had bad colds though!

Someone recently pointed out a great way to tell the difference between Flu and a cold to me.

If you have you have the flu/cold symptoms and you see a £50 note on the floor next to you - if you can physically manage to pick it up you have  a cold.

• Agree 3

Sorry to be a Miserable Manfred but could this somewhat elongated conversation be carried on on another page please Mods?

Whilst I'm sure that all the opinions forwarded are valid and  well-reasoned ( and I did like the story of the a**e in the Audi getting the bums rush at B&M!) and I respect those views to some degree, would it be possible to move these to another thread? 

I'm sure the original intention of this thread was to actually inform punters and exhibitors of postponed or cancelled shows  and, while common sense at this point in time would point to everything being off at the moment, it would be nice not to have to wade through pages of froth to discover whether a show is taking place at the moment.....

A case in point would be the Wycombe exhibition in November. I have heard rumours that its off on Facebook, but have yet to see anything in this thread regarding its status although it may have been mentioned in amongst all the froth.........

Just my opinion!

Disgusting of Market Harborough

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Bungus the Fogeyman said:

could this somewhat elongated conversation be carried on on another page please Mods?

There isn't anywhere else specifically for it to live and I don't really want an extra Coronaballs topic but I will look at it when I get time.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Bungus the Fogeyman said:

Sorry to be a Miserable Manfred but could this somewhat elongated conversation be carried on on another page please Mods?

Whilst I'm sure that all the opinions forwarded are valid and  well-reasoned ( and I did like the story of the a**e in the Audi getting the bums rush at B&M!) and I respect those views to some degree, would it be possible to move these to another thread? 

I'm sure the original intention of this thread was to actually inform punters and exhibitors of postponed or cancelled shows  and, while common sense at this point in time would point to everything being off at the moment, it would be nice not to have to wade through pages of froth to discover whether a show is taking place at the moment.....

A case in point would be the Wycombe exhibition in November. I have heard rumours that its off on Facebook, but have yet to see anything in this thread regarding its status although it may have been mentioned in amongst all the froth.........

Just my opinion!

Disgusting of Market Harborough

5 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

There isn't anywhere else specifically for it to live and I don't really want an extra Coronaballs topic but I will look at it when I get time.

Or shall we try a degree of self - isolating and isolate this topic to the original theme of the OP ? 

I for one have added my thoughts on the 'wider picture' but now feel there is little more to be debated regarding the future look of an exhibition. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
Idiot Sheep.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Bungus the Fogeyman said:

Yes, news of Wycrail's cancellation was posted in this thread on May 9th.

Spennymoor Show on October 30th and November 1st is now unfortunately cancelled. A real loss to our groups fundraising activities but in the interests of the safety of our exhibitors, trade support and the general public, it must be done. Planning will commence for 2021. Keep safe everyone!  

• Friendly/supportive 4

• Administrators
51 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Cancellations now stretching into November now.  That's not good!

A cancellation in November. But you're probably right. We're doomed. Doomed I tell you. There will be no model railway shows ever again... :rolleyes:

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13

I count 3 for November. Workington, high Wickham and spenymoor. 

The interesting messages we are getting are not helping. From July you can use a swimming pool but you can't use the changing rooms. 

I can see the growth of garden railways with open days. 

Marc

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Furness Wagon said:

I count 3 for November. Workington, high Wickham and spenymoor. 

The interesting messages we are getting are not helping. From July you can use a swimming pool but you can't use the changing rooms. 

I can see the growth of garden railways with open days. 

Marc

Quite possibly, but you would still have to restrict numbers. I must get round to inviting the gang.

In the meantime - Phil Parker - PM me if you would like to pop round one day. I can  let you into the garden without going through the house!

DSCN0848.JPG

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

A cancellation in November. But you're probably right. We're doomed. Doomed I tell you. There will be no model railway shows ever again... :rolleyes:

Unfortunately until club's can meet regularly, we won't have exhibitions.  I can hope that there will be a show this year, but I suspect that we may even be looking at exhibitions in the early part of next year being cancelled.

Colin

• Agree 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, ColinW said:

Unfortunately until club's can meet regularly, we won't have exhibitions.  I can hope that there will be a show this year, but I suspect that we may even be looking at exhibitions in the early part of next year being cancelled.

Colin

It's the 21st Century - you can organise a show without meeting in the same room. As I recall from my days running shows, we didn't meet up very often anyway. For many clubs, organisation is down to a single person so not meeting up won't be an issue.

My point is that every event and different - there's no need to should doom and gloom from the rooftops and doing so doesn't help anyone. Some shows will happen, some shows won't. The situation is fluid right now and things will change.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

. We're doomed. Doomed I tell you. There will be no model railway shows ever again... :rolleyes:

I wish you’d told me that before I built another RhB module this week ;) 

Still plenty of time to get on with all those layout ideas without going to shows and buying stuff that distracts you off on tangents from the project :diablo_mini:

• RMweb Premium

The key to it is the need for social distancing. Until or if that is relaxed I think it unlikely any large public events will take place . Football matches, concerts , exhibitions .    My own view is that 2020 is a write off , hopefully 2021 can be better .

There is also the personal responsibility aspect . Yes of course you follow govt guidelines , but just because they say I can nip out to out door markets etc (In England anyway, I'm in Scotland ) I'm still exercising my own judgement on this and until the prevalence of Covid is much reduced I'll be staying put

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Legend said:

The key to it is the need for social distancing. Until or if that is relaxed I think it unlikely any large public events will take place . Football matches, concerts , exhibitions .    My own view is that 2020 is a write off , hopefully 2021 can be better .

There is also the personal responsibility aspect . Yes of course you follow govt guidelines , but just because they say I can nip out to out door markets etc (In England anyway, I'm in Scotland ) I'm still exercising my own judgement on this and until the prevalence of Covid is much reduced I'll be staying put

Hits the nail on the head entirely. You cannot hold a model railway exhibition and maintain social distancing. And even if the government relaxes it to some extent, as I've said before, exhibitions are a bio hazard at the best of times and many people with a mind of their own will choose to exercise their own judgement and stay away, leaving organisers with a large shortfall.

Appologies to Phil Parker, I know you want to maintain a positive slant on things , but lets all just be realistic.

For everyones sake, in my humble opinion, the sensible thing to do would be to halt all model railway exhibitions until January 1st 2021, and then review the situation. At the very least everybody would know where they stand and we could just concentrate on the modelling!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Roger Sunderland said:

exhibitions are a bio hazard at the best of times

Oh for heavens sake. Are you by any chance a fan of rucksacks too?:P

Personally I hate rules, but that doesn't mean I don't follow them or understand why they are in place in the current situation.

But why the need to be dictated to or to dictate to others about everything? As others have observed, it is and will always will be about each of us making our own judgements in any situation.

If you decide to stay locked away then that is fine and no one should mock such a stance, but if someone else decides to go out (obviously not breaking any laws etc) then does the mob really have to scream blue murder?

Anyway, one day in the not too distant future it will have to get back to normal - otherwise we're all going to be utterly doomed.

Oh poo, I just spread some - soz Phil

Not Jeremy

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ColinW said:

Colin

That depends a little on who's organising the show and who's bringing the layouts. I know of at least one show which is organised by a private individual who exhibits mostly his own layouts, and the ones which are invited also belong to individuals. So in the respect of prepping layouts for shows, it wouldn't be impossible to put a show on.

However it's not unreasonable to assume that indoor gatherings of say 20 people (i.e. club meetings) would be reopened some time before indoor gatherings of say 200 (exhibitions).

9 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

My point is that every event and different - there's no need to should doom and gloom from the rooftops and doing so doesn't help anyone. Some shows will happen, some shows won't. The situation is fluid right now and things will change.

An increasing number of people have had this virus & antibody tests are becoming more readily available, so surely more people will be happy to put on a show? In 4-5 months time, many of us may be antibody positive & feel comfortable in such an environment.

Some may prefer to decline an invitation to exhibit, which is fine.

If enough people are happy to put the show on, it is up to visitors to decide whether or not they want to attend.

The real key is will organisers feel enough people will attend to make their show worthwhile? I expect a few smaller shows will be first & others will be interested to see how successful they are.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2