Exhibition cancellations (not much to do with that anymore!)

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great central said:

All I will say is Model Rail at Newark a few years ago:angry:

Yup, I’d forgotten that show, I attended too. That comes under the full commercial style though, organised by a specific media/exhibition department of the parent company. Because of the T&C’s of that specific show, I wouldn’t do another without changes. Absolutely no reflection on, and nothing to do with the magazine staff and on site show team, they were excellent.

So, three shows definitely, one of which (MRL), no longer operates and one ‘it might have done’. Not exactly evidence so far of a trend.

3 minutes ago, PMP said:

Yup, I’d forgotten that show, I attended too. That comes under the full commercial style though, organised by a specific media/exhibition department of the parent company. Because of the T&C’s of that specific show, I wouldn’t do another without changes. Absolutely no reflection on, and nothing to do with the magazine staff and on site show team, they were excellent.

So, three shows definitely, one of which (MRL), no longer operates and one ‘it might have done’. Not exactly evidence so far of a trend.

Not sure I'd agree with that but we may have different perspectives on it?

46 minutes ago, DutyDruid said:

The "advice" we got from people who understood "marketing" was that if you place a well produced display ad with appropriate superlatives sprinkled on it it says that you have confidence in the quality of your event, sufficient confidence to warrant paying to advertise it in that way; that in turn means that it might be worth visiting.  The first year it will not produce much uplift but if it was a good show then word will get around and if you take the care to create a "recognisable brand" then in year 3 or 4 and beyond you will start to reap the benefit of your investment.

A lot of marketing is about repetition. The more often people see something advertised, and the more different places they see it advertised, the more likely they are to buy it/visit it/use it/subscribe to it/whatever. So, while the various free listings are good (and you should try to be in as many as possible), it still helps to augment that with paid-for advertising if there are appropriate and affordable means of doing so.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, great central said:

Not sure I'd agree with that but we may have different perspectives on it?

I had no problems with any of the magazine staff or the Bauer on site team. What was clear, was that they weren’t allowed to deviate from company policy at all. Newark showground and it’s staff have a hard earned local reputation for being inflexible, that they rarely dilute by being flexible.

1 minute ago, PMP said:

The ‘Railex’ brand for model railway exhibitions is firmly associated with RDMRC  http://www.rdmrc.org.uk

who have been using it since 2005, with their consistent high quality Railex show at Stoke Mandeville. http://www.railex.org.uk

Sorry, thought I had made it clear, we did Wickham RailEx and now do Fareham RailEx.  We never went with just "Railex" which does indeed belong to the guys at Stoke Mandeville - and note that we use different capitalisation in the word.  AND: there are several other groups using that word as well.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, MarkSG said:

Ah, but Railex and RailEx are subtly different :)

Very much doubt there’s any confusion over what exhibition ‘Railex’ is. 

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, PMP said:

I had no problems with any of the magazine staff or the Bauer on site team. What was clear, was that they weren’t allowed to deviate from company policy at all. Newark showground and it’s staff have a hard earned local reputation for being inflexible, that they rarely dilute by being flexible.

I've been to a couple of the shows organised by Lincoln club at the showground as an exhibitor, let's just say that the hospitality couldn't be  more different from that shown by the Model Rail team.

I know a good few others, both layout and trade who won't go near anything to do with Model Rail now, no wonder they haven't done any more.

Sorry for taking the thread :offtopic:

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, PMP said:

The ‘Railex’ brand for model railway exhibitions is firmly associated with RDMRC  http://www.rdmrc.org.uk

who have been using it since 2005, with their consistent high quality Railex show at Stoke Mandeville. http://www.railex.org.uk

Railex goes way back before 2005 we used that name branding from the mid 1970s when we were just a one day show in the Civic Centre in Aylesbury town centre.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, DutyDruid said:

- and note that we use different capitalisation in the word.  AND: there are several other groups using that word as well.

I did note that DD, I doubt that the capitalisation has any impact whatsoever. People will tell you they travel on Easyjet. They don’t, they travel on easyJet.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

While this topic seems to have drifted well away from the title, I thought I would bring it back!

Faversham MRC has announced it has reluctantly had to cancel its 2020 exhibition due to have been held on Saturday 12th and Sunday 13th September 2020.   

We cannot under current government guidance/regulations host a show that allows for social distancing, food and drink to be consumed in a seated area by our visitors, arrange one way system or keep toilets etc free of possible virus infection.

We hope to see all our visitors, exhibitors and traders in September 2021.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

I'm afraid to be the bringer of more negative news I got an email from the Furness Model Railway Club exhibition manager. Due to the school where exhibition was due be held becoming unable they have had to cancel. So that iis Barrow show on the 11-12th of October.

On a slightly better note 2021 should be going ahead.

Marc 

• Friendly/supportive 2

18 minutes ago, kitmasterbloke said:

Official announcement at 3pm 17th June -Warley show postponed until 2021

At the risk of asking a possibly dim question, in what meaningful sense is it being "postponed", when the next show will be in November 2021? Isn't that just a cancellation of the 2020 show?

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

At the risk of asking a possibly dim question, in what meaningful sense is it being "postponed", when the next show will be in November 2021? Isn't that just a cancellation of the 2020 show?

I was asked if my layout would still be available for 2021 - I have said yes - so that's a postponement for me.

But: In reality, does it really matter if it's called a cancellation or postponement? There are more important things to worry about than trivia such as that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I guess postponed fits because, like many shows, all of the layouts invited for 2020 will be invited to 2021. Obviously some won't be able to attend so it won't be exactly the show but it will be close. As the floor plan will have been worked out a few months ago it will save a lot of work if all the layouts can come. 

Edited by Chris M
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, newbryford said:

I was asked if my layout would still be available for 2021 - I have said yes -

Jolly good, hopefully JimFin can too and I’ll be a happy punter next year :) 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, kitmasterbloke said:

Official announcement at 3pm 17th June -Warley show postponed until 2021

Postponed?

Since this is an annual event, surely the "postponed" 2020 show will clash with the 2021 event?

:blink:

A show of that size, particularly at the NEC, must cost a fortune to put on.

Local shows may be less of a risk.

• Agree 1