Exhibition cancellations (not much to do with that anymore!)

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Postponed?

Since this is an annual event, surely the "postponed" 2020 show will clash with the 2021 event?

:blink:

It’s ok like F1 going back to back it’s a reverse grid on the Sunday . . . 

• Funny 5

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Postponed?

Since this is an annual event, surely the "postponed" 2020 show will clash with the 2021 event?

Since the 2020 tickets can be used in 2021, there may be a technical reason it's postponed not cancelled. If you cancel, I'd guess that tickets would have to be refunded.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Since the 2020 tickets can be used in 2021, there may be a technical reason it's postponed not cancelled. If you cancel, I'd guess that tickets would have to be refunded.

To be fair they have offered refunds as well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A real shame about warley but not unexpected

regarding the layouts (and traders) that were booked for this year show attending next year, could the NEC maybe open up the extra space behind the usual hoardings in the hall and have both this years and next years layouts attend together or is that a logistical and planning nightmare from the warley guys point of view (thinking of extra accommodation and parking etc) 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Jolly good, hopefully JimFin can too and I’ll be a happy punter next year :)

Hopefully - if we are spared........

Can empathise with how It is an absolute nightmare for anyone involved with organising any public events, small or large....'we' have charitable garden open days and these are impossible under current guidance and rules....just have to sit tight and wait in hope for better days......the old adage of 'hope for the best and plan for the worst' holds firm these days!

Regards always and keep safe guys...

Bob

• Agree 1

It's probably safe to say there won't be any shows this year and probably most of next. If the trade can survive without them,  will any want the hassle of going back in the future? I doubt it. But without trade you can't run a show so I don't think shows will ever come back.

2 hours ago, Wheres_Wally said:

It's probably safe to say there won't be any shows this year and probably most of next. If the trade can survive without them,  will any want the hassle of going back in the future? I doubt it. But without trade you can't run a show so I don't think shows will ever come back.

Wow!  And I thought I was pessimistic!!

You have , in effect, pushed me over into the optimistic camp, because I do think that (at some point) there will be shows, but things will change and I am not brave enough to speculate (here) how that might manifest itself.

However, I do think that many optimists do ignore the trade aspect. Now I am not going to say that I know anything about how 'the trade' will feel about attending shows in the future and I am not  going to speculate on that, but I think that getting the punters in the door is only half the battle getting the trade to commit to attending is equally important.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Wheres_Wally said:

Blimey your glass is so half empty. I can't see how an exhibition can take place while there is a need for social distancing but that won't last forever. When social distancing goes exhibitions will return. I think a lot of the trade are surviving ok. Nobody is saying much but the few snippets I have picked up suggest online sales have been going reasonably well. Anyone without an online presence or with a poor online shop will be struggling. 

I agree that trade exhibitors are essential to model railway exhibitions. They provide essential income for the show and also attract visitors, I always check the list of trade stands before deciding to go to a show. Many of the trade exhibitors are great characters who really enjoy being at exhibitions and they like to meet folk who they may deal with online.  If you see a trader at an exhibition you may well have more confidence to buy from them online in the future and exhibitions are a great place for potential punters to see the quality of the products they make. For instance would anyone know the great range of N Brass Loco etchings if the owner didn't take his stand to exhibitions all over the country? An online presence is fine but you need to know these items are available in the first place. These small traders also provide inspiration for all those important little details. I'm quite optimistic that most trade exhibitors will be keen to be "back in the saddle".

• Agree 5

13 hours ago, big jim said:

A real shame about warley but not unexpected

regarding the layouts (and traders) that were booked for this year show attending next year, could the NEC maybe open up the extra space behind the usual hoardings in the hall and have both this years and next years layouts attend together or is that a logistical and planning nightmare from the warley guys point of view (thinking of extra accommodation and parking etc) 

The NEC charge by the square meter. So there'd be a big price rise if they took that extra space, it is only used on the build up/break down as a means to speed that up, and I expect they get charged for that use too. There are already enormous costs with hosting the show at the NEC as it is. I don't think many would like a further price hike on what are already premium ticket prices for a model railway show (but rather low comparatively for the NEC in general!)

13 hours ago, big jim said:

WARLEY ......

Another issue is that that would greatly extend the time needed to see everything - not all of us want to take the 'two day' ticket!

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Chris M said:

exhibitions are a great place for potential punters to see the quality of the products they make. For instance would anyone know the great range of N Brass Loco etchings if the owner didn't take his stand to exhibitions all over the country? An online presence is fine but you need to know these items are available in the first place.

Spot on! I know several traders who’ve said shows are still important to catch the significant section of the market not obsessed with the internet and forums. It’s only 20 years since the millennium bug was going to drop us back to the Stone Age and it’s still possible an electronic virus could cause more chaos than the organic one ;) Best to have fingers in as many markets as you can to sustain you through crisis.

We’ve seen many small discoveries already and now one major medical breakthrough yesterday in treating the serious cases so the time won by lockdown is saving lives. That’s what it was intended for, not to be the future. Imagine if all our medical researchers gave in so easily as some here! ;) 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

At the rate the Goverment are rushing/blundering/shambling* to get the economy going again now that they have discovered the kitty is empty I would expect the social distancing to be dropped an awful lot faster than anyone expects.

* Delete as appropriate 

Edited by John M Upton
  • Agree 3

Guest Half-full
4 hours ago, Wheres_Wally said:

For gods sake, I think you need to find Wally and ask him to give you a good shake

1 hour ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Another issue is that that would greatly extend the time needed to see everything - not all of us want to take the 'two day' ticket!

I already feel 2 days is not enough to see everything properly! 

I tend to find myself missing a number of layouts and or traders each year. 

Admittedly some of this is down to doing the demu stand most years recently,  but most of the years I have been doing it I tend to do the one day and then have Sunday to look around (did both days last year so saw less as a result,  but that is the trade off for 'working' at the show).

It is already the biggest show in the country,  and I can't see it currently working to grow in size. If anything I suspect some shows will start to shrink over the coming years, for a number of reasons. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

So Blackburn's gone then has it  Michael?

Hi Ian,

I have no idea. We are awaiting an announcement from the Chairman/Secretary/committee.

(I'm just an ordinary club member now)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John M Upton said:

At the rate the Goverment are rushing/blundering/shambling* to get the economy going again now that they have discovered the kitty is empty I would expect the social distancing to be dropped an awful lot faster than anyone expects.

* Delete as appropriate 

Of course, using your immense insight and wisdom you would have ensured that the country was not in this position to start with. All of your decisions and policies would have the unanimous enthusiastic support of parliament and the electorate. Your attempts to run the country in accordance with the decision of the electorate would not have been been subject to several years of time-wasting guerilla action in parliament and the courts. You would have found endless amounts of time to plan for possible new pandemics with unknown characteristics, and you'd have conjured up an enormous contingency fund and a stock of supplies that never go out of date, in readiness.

I don't think so. 

Money is not inexhaustible, even when borrowed on terms that will cripple future generations. Hindsight does not provide the wisdom that so many people seem to think that it does.

• Like 1
  • Agree 10
  • Funny 2