Exhibition cancellations (not much to do with that anymore!)

AY Mod

I don't think it's a 'requirement' that all shows are cancelled. If a show's organisers are happy that they can comply with all the relevant government requirements then they are completely entitled to go ahead.

As to if they get enough visitors though the doors to justify it is a different matter.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

I don't think it's a 'requirement' that all shows are cancelled. If a show's organisers are happy that they can comply with all the relevant government requirements then they are completely entitled to go ahead.

As to if they get enough visitors though the doors to justify it is a different matter.

Tinker's Park own/lease their own site (including the hall the exhibits go in) so the only expenses involved would have been insurance and travel expenses. As they reduced the number of layouts on display to allow for social distancing, both these costs would have been reduced.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

Tinker's Park own/lease their own site (including the hall the exhibits go in) so the only expenses involved would have been insurance and travel expenses. As they reduced the number of layouts on display to allow for social distancing, both these costs would have been reduced.

Also I believe that admission was free according to a friend who attended yesterday. Presumably trade stand rents (if any) offset any layout expenses (if any).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cancellation of 2020 Aberdeen Model Railway Exhibition

It is with deep regret that Aberdeen Model Railway Club has decided that we have to cancel the Aberdeen Model Railway Exhibition for 2020, which was scheduled to take place over the weekend of 17th and 18th October.

Our understanding is that the current government guidelines on social gatherings do not allow people from many different households to mix in the manner we would need for the event to be successful; and the most optimistic view is that easing of the current restrictions is unlikely before October.

At the beginning of “lockdown”, the committee agreed that we would defer a decision on the exhibition to as late as reasonably possible. In our view, bearing in mind advertising lead times and the need to give reasonable notice to the venue, exhibitors and traders, this meant the beginning of August i.e. at least 10 weeks prior to the event.

We hope to see everyone at the next Aberdeen Model Railway Exhibition on 30th and 31st October 2021.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

I think that is a major issue.

Since most organisations are looking to generate revenue to help with something (usually layout/club funds but could also be a charity donation), is it really worth putting on a show if you believe you will end up paying for it?

There may well be people who are prepared to pay to put on a show, but these are in a minority.

There are more stringent requirements for gatherings than usual. Many will feel that the extra effort is not really worth it.

It is not worth getting upset about. Many seem to be whinging about past recommendations now being made mandatory. The more we whinge & try to find excuses to break distancing, the longer this saga will continue.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It is becoming quite clear that local lockdowns could become quite common, even if in relatively small areas, yet no one can predict where these will be.

High risks for any exhibitions still going ahead this year i feel. 

Sadly, may continue until the spring next year.... 

• Agree 4

• Administrators
14 hours ago, John M Upton said:

When is the go or no go decision point for the Peterborough show please?

I am still hoping for the best but assuming the worst....

Exhibitors and traders will be kept up to date by e-mail rather than posting on RMweb. When there is anything to say, I'm sure there will be a posting here as well, but possibly after discussions with those directly affected - no different from any other show.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

N Gauge SouthEast - 2021

I'm sorry to have to announce that we have decided to abandon the 2021 NGSE show, originally planned for April 2021.

This is a long way ahead, and it was not a happy decision, but it actually turned out to be quite an easy one to make.  Our new venue of Reigate College were still unsure whether they could host us in April 2021.  They will not be renting the college out this autumn, as it will be forming its own 'bubble'.  It is possible that this will extend into 2021.  They were also planning building works next spring.

And of course we have no idea what Covid will be doing by then.  The last couple of weeks seems to indicate that 'normal by Christmas' is a little optimistic.  It still seems unlikely that all of the UK will have received a vaccination by April, and from the discussions on various forums including this one, running a show with distancing, masks and the like will be difficult - and of course expensive.  It is also debatable whether enough people will turn up to break even. 

Finally, having cancelled this years’ show at very short notice, I, for one, couldn’t face the possibility of having to do it again next April. 

So, we look to 2022 – Reigate College have been very helpful and they said they hope to see us then!

What we will do next year is to hold one or two open days / mini-exhibitions at our usual meeting place in Redhill.  Perhaps one in May, a little later than normal, and one in October.  We hope that these will work as a day to play trains, and a social opportunity for ESNG members and local enthusiasts.  These will be easy to set up - we hope to send out a few invites to exhibit - and cancel if things get bad again.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, snitchthebudgie said:

N Gauge SouthEast - 2021

What we will do next year is to hold one or two open days / mini-exhibitions at our usual meeting place in Redhill.  Perhaps one in May, a little later than normal, and one in October.  We hope that these will work as a day to play trains, and a social opportunity for ESNG members and local enthusiasts.  These will be easy to set up - we hope to send out a few invites to exhibit - and cancel if things get bad again.

Very sensible approach.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, snitchthebudgie said:

Our new venue of Reigate College were still unsure whether they could host us in April 2021.  They will not be renting the college out this autumn, as it will be forming its own 'bubble'.  It is possible that this will extend into 2021.  

We had a similar situation in Derby - Derby College told us a couple of weeks ago that they were no longer prepared to use The Roundhouse for commercial bookings and in future it would be used more for the benefit of the college and its students. During the week, it is the main student social space and catering area and they have probably decided the work needed to clear the space and put it all back again isn't worth the costs involved. A friend who works at the University of Derby has been told that a large open plan office is being reconfigured into teaching space and so he will be working from home for the foreseeable future. I'm sorry to say that I think other shows in schools and colleges could face cancellations well into next year.

• Like 1

• Administrators

2020 Midlands Model Engineering Exhibition Cancelled

Meridienne Exhibitions, organisers of the Midlands Model Engineering Exhibition, have announced that the 2020 exhibition has been cancelled as a result of the impact of Covid-19.

The decision to cancel the event until October 2021 ensures safety and will enable the team to deliver the highly popular event without compromise next year.

Chris Deith, Exhibition Director of Meridienne Exhibitions explained:

“Like many other organisers we have been watching the criteria for events unfold.  Venues are only currently planned to reopen from 1st October subject to successful outcomes of the mass gathering pilot studies.   There are also ongoing government restrictions in place for the continuing management of this pandemic which are subject to change at any time.

We are positive that considerable social distancing measures will need to be in place regardless.  We feel these would have a significant impact on our ability to present the event to the normal size and format for everyone’s enjoyment. Therefore, we have come to the sensible and responsible decision to cancel the event until October 2021.

We are aware that our loyal supporters will be disappointed with this decision but it would not be right to organise an event that does not meet the high expectations that have been set over the last 42 years”.

The 2021 show dates are confirmed as the 14th – 17th October again at the Warwickshire Event Centre.

Any visitors who have purchased an advance ticket already will be refunded directly.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, snitchthebudgie said:

Our new venue of Reigate College were still unsure whether they could host us in April 2021.  They will not be renting the college out this autumn, as it will be forming its own 'bubble'.  It is possible that this will extend into 2021.

One of the shows where I regularly demonstrate have already told me that they think the school where they hold their exhibition will not be allowing them in during 2021 for similar reasons.  

• Like 1

On 03/08/2020 at 13:15, snitchthebudgie said:

N Gauge SouthEast - 2021

I'm sorry to have to announce that we have decided to abandon the 2021 NGSE show, originally planned for April 2021.

I don't want sound like Mr Doom'n'gloom but I have a feeling the knock-on effect with regard to cancelled model railway exhibitions will drag further into 2021 than first envisaged. I sincerely hope not but personally I'm not confident. Equally, on a personal note, I wouldn't want to spend a full weekend operating a model railway in a relatively confined space wearing a mask and having to social distance (which, lets be fair wouldn't happen anyway). On top of that I can't see the general populus heading back to events like exhibitions anytime soon - modellers and die-hards, yes but folks who just want an afternoon out...no.

• Agree 7

The way I see it and this may influence a few decision, is a local or regional lockdown can be introduced over night. The trials of fans at sporting events last weekend was cancelled at very short notice and the change of rules for the north west and surrounding areas was announced at 21:15 for midnight start less than 3 hours notice. Could you imagine spending Friday setting up and then at 21:15 local lockdown closes the event, you may not even be technically allowed to break down on Saturday or would have to do it in a managed staggered time slots over whole weekend.

• Agree 11

• RMweb Premium

Hornby Magazine Milton Keynes Exhibition October 2020 

In the content of the magazine it is announced that the above exhibition has now cancelled 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

1 hour ago, ELTEL said:

Hornby Magazine Milton Keynes Exhibition October 2020 

In the content of the magazine it is announced that the above exhibition has now cancelled 

No actual mention of it being cancelled on the website - just the new Manchester event in March and Milton Keynes in Oct 2021

https://www.keymodelworld.com/greatelectrictrainshow

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, newbryford said:

No actual mention of it being cancelled on the website - just the new Manchester event in March and Milton Keynes in Oct 2021

This page confirms the cancellation - https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/hornby-magazine-prepares-two-great-electric-train-shows-2021?fbclid=IwAR0Mi76xzZC9KW5ixW33YtOgHBqS5k8KcgDnk3SWwfUcX-k-kR9prcJEEKM

The news comes as we confirm that the October 2020 show in Milton Keynes will not be taking place due to Covid-19 restrictions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, newbryford said:

https://www.keymodelworld.com/greatelectrictrainshow

Hi Mick

It was in my opinion not made very clear to its readership and was almost hidden in the announcement of a new extra Manchester Exhibition in 2021 

“The news comes as we confirm that the October 2020 show in Milton Keynes will not be taking place due to Covid-19 restrictions”

We were notified as a  MK exhibitor a couple of days back and asked not forward on the information as a full announcement would be made public in the Hornby Magazine on Thursday 8th August 

Terry 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, ELTEL said:

Hi Mick

It was in my opinion not made very clear to its readership and was almost hidden in the announcement of a new extra Manchester Exhibition in 2021 

“The news comes as we confirm that the October 2020 show in Milton Keynes will not be taking place due to Covid-19 restrictions”

We were notified as a  MK exhibitor a couple of days back and asked not forward on the information as a full announcement would be made public in the Hornby Magazine on Thursday 8th August 

Terry 

I was the same and its was nice to see nobody let the news out before the date requested.

Whilst its a shame that the show has been cancelled, which I'm sure we would agree is for the best. It does now mean that I can now alter and confirm all the bookings that I have for the next few years for layouts, demos and what ever else I've got down to do including get the new layout built and ready for next years show.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Mr.S.corn78 said:

I was the same and its was nice to see nobody let the news out before the date requested.

Whilst its a shame that the show has been cancelled, which I'm sure we would agree is for the best. It does now mean that I can now alter and confirm all the bookings that I have for the next few years for layouts, demos and what ever else I've got down to do including get the new layout built and ready for next years show.

I get the idea about not letting out news regarding model releases etc, but holding back such information as an exhibition cancellation is odd at the current time - IMO of course.

For it (the new show) to be in the mag, the cancellation and new dates/venue would have been known about at least 2-3 weeks ago.

Something along the lines of "We're sorry to say it's cancelled, but look out for exciting news coming soon in the forthcoming mag" on the website would surely have been more appropriate?

Anyway - it's done now and we can move on.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

If a show has a magazine as a sponsor, then I think I can see why you might want to give your sponsor the opportunity to make the cancellation public.  

I think this was done the right way - Traders & exhibitors first because they have arrangements to make/cancel, then let the sponsor notify people through their own publication before going public with the news.

I doubt many visitors will have booked a train this far in advance, not in the current climate.

I hope their new Manchester show is a success in March.

• Agree 3