Exhibition cancellations (not much to do with that anymore!)

AY Mod

12 minutes ago, Mattc6911 said:

Yes I must agree, your response to a business  training  staff and putting in measures so they can at least TRY and re open was.  Absolutely Ludicrous

I'ii try again - I know things don't seem to travel very well sometimes over the World Wide Web.

".....Absolute ludicrous that we have to enforce such procedures makes it not worth the bother......."

Like I said  - sack it all off  - 2022 anyone?

Edited by Crisis Rail
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Furness Wagon said:

We live in the lake District and I was just told that one of our local campsites has closed again. People couldn't follow the site's rules let alone those set out by the government. And the amount of litter left behind was unbelievable. Tents cookers chairs just left behind.

we have also had people just wandering around the local supermarket not wearing masks.

People are just idiots so until the idiots start abaying the rules then we will not get out of the hole that we are currently living in.

That's Borrowdale?

Cumbria has had it's fair share of sorting out all this mess.

No doubt the Benidorm set once again? 

• Agree 1

Coniston but it looks like they were people who would have gone abroad on an all inclusive booze up where they expect to be cleaned up after and that they are above the rules of society.

Marc

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 16/08/2020 at 18:33, Furness Wagon said:

I was told that people who are optimistic are often disappointed as thing rarely go as planned where as a pessimist expect things to go wrong so when they go right it's a bonus. 

So expect all shows to be off and if they are you are not going to be disappointed if they are cancelled but if they on then it's a bonus.

Marc

Well, call me an optimist if you like but, as an exhibitor, we've recently been contacted by the show organisers to be advised that the Great British Model Railway Show, to be held at the British Motor Museum at Gaydon over the weekend of 7th/8th November, IS planned to go ahead - you can read the caveat / disclaimer here: https://gbmrs.com/

Given that it'll be within the jurisdiction of the museum, then I would fully expect the Covid precautions to be as per the museum, which can be read here:

https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/news/welcome-back

Not too dissimilar to those controls outlined above but if you can put up with them then you know where to head.

Unless the situation does in fact worsen (as per the disclaimer) and it gets called off anyway ... 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 16/08/2020 at 16:41, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Visitor numbers cut by 75%

That's the main problem, if you have to cut visitor numbers by 75%, then most shows won't make a profit unless they can similarly cut costs and if I was a trader, I'd be reluctant to pay the usual attendance charge if I thought that footfall was going to be just 25% of last year's exhibition.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

I'm also an optimist, I've also been contacted by a show organiser to say that a layout booking for late 2020 has been confirmed for 2021. They are very optimistic that the show will go ahead in 2021 given all information at their disposal.

Fingers crossed for at least some of next year's shows going ahead.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I can't see how Gaydon can be suitable for a socially distanced exhibition. It has always been one of the most cramped and claustrophobic venues on the circuit. As much as I would love to go to an exhibition I think I will give that a miss.

• Agree 5

21 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Well, call me an optimist if you like but, as an exhibitor, we've recently been contacted by the show organisers to be advised that the Great British Model Railway Show, to be held at the British Motor Museum at Gaydon over the weekend of 7th/8th November, IS planned to go ahead - you can read the caveat / disclaimer here: https://gbmrs.com/

Given that it'll be within the jurisdiction of the museum, then I would fully expect the Covid precautions to be as per the museum, which can be read here:

https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/news/welcome-back

Not too dissimilar to those controls outlined above but if you can put up with them then you know where to head.

Unless the situation does in fact worsen (as per the disclaimer) and it gets called off anyway ... 

giphy.gif.9191809f73ed8aab2d9ef98fc3ee3b76.gif

Edited by Crisis Rail

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

I'm also an optimist, I've also been contacted by a show organiser to say that a layout booking for late 2020 has been confirmed for 2021. They are very optimistic that the show will go ahead in 2021 given all information at their disposal.

Fingers crossed for at least some of next year's shows going ahead.

So have I, for November!

At least it will give me time to finish weathering new bits on Arcadia Pennsylvania :-).

• Like 1

Statement from the NMRA(British Region) Board of Directors:

2020 Grand Junction Convention

All roads lead to Derby

Due to the current situation, the BOD have decided to cancel this year's event and we have re-booked for October 2021.

The 2021 75th+1 Grand Junction Convention will be at Derby on October 22nd to 24th. 

Public opening would have been on the Saturday.

Edited by 298
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 12/07/2020 at 11:39, Mike Bellamy said:

DERBY ROUNDHOUSE

Derby Model Railway Exhibition cancellation

It is with huge regret that we announce the cancellation of the 2021 Derby Model Railway Exhibition which was due to take place on 8th & 9th May next year. For the last five years, the event has taken place in The Roundhouse which is part of Derby College. The college has recently informed Mickleover Model Railway Group (MMRG) that it is cancelling all future events already booked at the Roundhouse and will no longer be offering the venue for events in the future. This is due to the uncertainties around COVID-19, the restrictions on mass gatherings and a decision to focus on its core function as a college.

The information above has now been made public by the local newspaper and they have published further information from the College as shown here

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/no-more-events-held-historic-4439434

A Derby College Group spokesman said: "We are an education provider, funded by government for this purpose. The impact of Covid-19 is widespread and the negative effects of this are anticipated for many more months, if not years.

"The disruption to education has been well publicised as academic and personal development of so many young people has suffered as a result of not being able to attend school or college.

"Whilst the college has adapted well to moving to remote learning for the majority of existing students, planning and preparation is underway for a new 'normal', including a concerted effort to support existing students and new students who join in September to rapidly recover lost learning, disrupted education and personal development.

"For this reason, the college will not continue activities that detract from this and that may take resources away from core education and skills training.

"Furthermore, considering Government guidance making the holding of events and mass gatherings impossible, the college has taken the decision to stop offering the Roundhouse as a venue of such events in the future."

It is understood that the Roundhouse is likely to be used as additional flexible work space and a teaching area, where students can be socially distanced.

It is also interesting that the newspaper has picked up on the article that went into the Railway Modeller !

One of the events which will now not take place at the Roundhouse is the Derby Model Railway Exhibition which was due to be held on May 8 and 9, 2021.

Railway Modeller magazine carries an article about it and mentions that it was notified of the change by Mickleover Model Railway Group.

The exhibition has taken place there for the past five years and the the Mickleover Group has decided it is not feasible to find an alternative venue in time but hopes that the exhibition "will return at some point in the future".

I fear that other exhibitions that use University, College or School premises could be faced with a similar situation.

Mike

Edited by Mike Bellamy
  • Like 2
  • Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Doubtless, many schools and like institutions will have enough on their plate to manage students and education delivery, without the need to release and then "clinically" deep clean/recover a large hall, that might have been occupied by a potentially large, weekend gathering, in time for Monday am assembly.

Whilst show organisers will want to take all precautions, if and when they were to get access to an education venue, they will have little ability to vet show visitors - in a way that schools could possibly do with their pupils/students.  Mind you, given the examples being frequently reported about irresponsible mass gatherings, illegal raves, and the conduct of idiots blatantly defying social-distancing guidelines - organisers can be forgiven for not relishing taking a gamble running a show? 

All those issues are clearly major hurdles for the hobby - quite apart from satisfying govt requirements for safe-distancing.  However, what other options might there be, for a large covered space, with parking, and [maybe] some toilet accommodation?

I don't know if this has already been discussed but, has anyone considered empty industrial units?  Could there be some available, that are awaiting tenancy and might be receptive to gaining some rental income?  No doubt insurance, use permission, and setup would be challenges.  But I do recall when Tyne & Blythe used part of an unused business/industrial centre unit in early December, a few years ago.  Although, I seem to recall that it was not without challenges.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm still not convinced that schools, colleges etc would necessarily be off limits - permanently - and at all times.

Personally, i suspect that there might also be an element of choosing the right time - how would the start (or even middle) of summer vacations sound (or even the start of another break between terms / school years)?

Of course, another issue right now is that "Corona" hasn't yet been beaten - so a number of people are, understandably, very wary.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the long run.

Huw.

11 minutes ago, 70000 Britannia said:

I don't know if this has already been discussed but, has anyone considered empty industrial units?  Could there be some available, that are awaiting tenancy and might be receptive to gaining some rental income?  No doubt insurance, use permission, and setup would be challenges.  But I do recall when Tyne & Blythe used part of an unused business/industrial centre unit in early December, a few years ago.  Although, I seem to recall that it was not without challenges.

Strangely I have done, along with the possibility of using an empty M&S unit in a shopping centre when it looked like our usual venue might not be available a year or so back.  All failed because eventually we ran up against a jobs-worth bean counter who couldn't see beyond the box s/he lived in.

To be fair though, there are some good people out there who look kindly on the 3rd Sector and want us to succeed, Fareham Club once did a deal (late 90s/early noughties) where in the month before our exhibition we ran a mini exhibition in an empty shopping centre unit in Fareham Shopping Centre every weekend for free using layouts that weren't going to be at the main show.  The idea came from the Centre Manager herself, we brought a bit of extra footfall into the centre and demonstrated that they were prepared to engage with the community, and we got free publicity in return; our gate shot up by over 50%.  Then the Centre Manager changed and the new one not only said "no" but wanted to charge us back rent for the 3 years we had already had "free".

The interesting thing is that I'm detecting a definite shift in the attitudes of "the system", the concept of office workers "working from home" to the extent that we now see would have been unthinkable a year ago and yet now...  What I'm seeing and hearing is that a fundamental shift in attitude could happen and it may well favour people like ourselves who want to put on events for community good.  Here's hoping...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Huw Griffiths said:

I'm still not convinced that schools, colleges etc would necessarily be off limits - permanently - and at all times.

Personally, i suspect that there might also be an element of choosing the right time - how would the start (or even middle) of summer vacations sound (or even the start of another break between terms / school years)?

Of course, another issue right now is that "Corona" hasn't yet been beaten - so a number of people are, understandably, very wary.

Huw.

Being married to a techer who is also a teacher governer and a director of an Academy Trust, they have cancelled all external hires until further notice due to the procedures that they have to follow as set/suggested by the Goverment which include the following,

Year group bubbles

No educational visits

Lunch meals to be eaten at desks

Staff to leave as soon as all kids have gone to enable cleaning to start straight away.

Any term breaks will be used to deep clean and steralise the building so I wouldn't expect them to be too happy to have a bunch of visitors walking in for a couple of days.

There is a lot more to the list and I apprecate that all schools will be different but most will be following a similar pattern. I can see it being a long time before schools will accept external bookings

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, Huw Griffiths said:

Huw.

I suspect that in the long run, most educational settings will end up hiring out their premises again when they believe it is safe to do so.

Educational budgets are stretched enough already and hire fees are an important source of additional income.

What we may well find though is that initially hires are only offered outside term time to allow sufficient time for cleaning (which of course the hirer will have to pay for).

• Agree 1

On 17/08/2020 at 20:34, Chris M said:

I can't see how Gaydon can be suitable for a socially distanced exhibition. It has always been one of the most cramped and claustrophobic venues on the circuit. As much as I would love to go to an exhibition I think I will give that a miss.

You seem to be judging Gaydon by the last show you saw there, not by the venue itself.

Gaydon is quite a large venue. It has been cramped because of the way exhibits have been laid out & because a lot of people have been let inside together.

Any shows held in the near future would require visitor numbers to be controlled & exhibits to be spaced out further. We cannot be expecting to see the same number of exhibits crammed into the same venues.

This is where the problem lies. Organising shows with current distancing guidelines may be possible, but would they be viable. Any data from previous shows are difficult to use because they were held under different conditions.

Some of the social distancing issues can be resolved by having the same number of layouts, but smaller.

A lot of the big 'roundy roundy' layouts take up a considerable amount of width - replacing them with 'long and thin' end-to-end layouts (or even N-gauge layouts which are small enough to fit a continuous run on a 2' baseboard) frees up extra aisle/circulating space with no loss in layout count.

19 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

Some of the social distancing issues can be resolved by having the same number of layouts, but smaller.

Are exhibitions all about the layouts?

I go for the social aspect, traders & layouts in that order. Smaller layouts would help a little, but the most significant way to increase distancing is to limit the number of visitors.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

A lot of the big 'roundy roundy' layouts take up a considerable amount of width - replacing them with 'long and thin' end-to-end layouts (or even N-gauge layouts which are small enough to fit a continuous run on a 2' baseboard) frees up extra aisle/circulating space with no loss in layout count.

Unfortunately, most venues already need 'long and thin' - or short and thin - layouts to use the available space.  Unless you are somewhere like the NEC with one big space, the rooms available don't have the space for very wide aisles - at least at every exhibition venue that I've organised.