Exhibition cancellations (not much to do with that anymore!)

AY Mod

I've just seen a news report where it says that 'scientists' have said that social-distancing must last at least until the end of the year.

We have to face up to the fact that we are in a VERY serious situation - goodness only knows what the unemployment rate will be at the end of this.

• Agree 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

TBH I think it is safe to assume that every 'event' in the UK will be cancelled until the middle of June at the very earliest

I have left a note at the top of every calendar page advising people to check this topic and club websites before travelling.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/calendar/

Let's hope no-one is in a queue at Ally Pally in the morning, they could have a long wait.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

There are subtleties to cancelling as some venues only just started to fall in the categories to shut, some still don’t  so it’s at the venues discretion technically at the moment as it’s still recommendations, so if a club cancels they still have to pay the venue fee. 
I’ve got a cheap room and train booked for an event in April that will only be refundable if they cancel so I’ll just be watching the trains on the day. 

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I have left a note at the top of every calendar page advising people to check this topic and club websites before travelling.

Let's hope no-one is in a queue at Ally Pally in the morning, they could have a long wait.

They'll be at the front though :)

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

3 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

TBH I think it is safe to assume that every 'event' in the UK will be cancelled until the middle of June at the very earliest - and that is a very optimistic view in my opinion.

2 hours ago, MarkSG said:

I agree; I think we can now assume that every event before the end of June is cancelled whether or not we have been formally advised of that by the organisers.

I hear that a week or so ago that the authorities that run freemasonry in the UK effectively shut their operations down - at least at a local level - for a period of 4 months.  I suppose if you take the the Government's line of 3 months (12 weeks) that BoJo talks about, and then add a month for some sort of taking stock of the situation, that might be an indication of when life might start returning to normal - always assuming that we/they do indeed get it in some semblance of control in that timeframe.

But then I have seen one considered report that said if it isn't brought under some sort of control immediately we could still be in lockdown a year from now.  Not a pleasant thought.

58 minutes ago, DutyDruid said:

But then I have seen one considered report that said if it isn't brought under some sort of control immediately we could still be in lockdown a year from now.  Not a pleasant thought.

There has been nothing (NOTHING!) like this since the Spanish Flu that killed millions after WW1 and TBH until recently I, and I suspect many others, had no real appreciation of how serious this could become - it was something that happened in China or in the EU - we in the UK would (somehow) avoid all this fuss that was effecting 'Johnny foreigner' and anyway it was just a bad attack of the flu which would disappear as if by magic once Spring arrived.

Well we have finally woken up and reality has dawned

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

I'll bet you that certain members of HM Government are keen to try and get something sorted before the end of June, the thought of cancelling Wimbledon would probably be too much to bear for upper class society!!

And my Mum would be furious too, she is already cursing an awful lot more than she used to...

I accept it is completely out of exhibition managers control to see so many exhibitions cancelled or postponed in view of the Coroana Virus.  However, may I make a suggestion.

Some clubs  have said that they are trying to reschedule their cancelled  exhibitions, for example Ally Pally, to a later date in the year.  No one knows how long this emergency will go on for.  Wouldn't it be better for everybody if they forgot about the exhibitors to this years exhibitions & automatically invite them to their 2021 exhibition?  All large exhibitions like Ally Pally & the NEC give invites to layouts years in advance.  I was invited to the NEC for this year 4 years ago.  This would mean disappointment to this years exhibitors & all current invites should be moved one year to the right.  This would make planning easier for exhibition  organisers.

Peter

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Crewlisle said:

I accept it is completely out of exhibition managers control to see so many exhibitions cancelled or postponed in view of the Coroana Virus.  However, may I make a suggestion.

Some clubs  have said that they are trying to reschedule their cancelled  exhibitions, for example Ally Pally, to a later date in the year.  No one knows how long this emergency will go on for.  Wouldn't it be better for everybody if they forgot about the exhibitors to this years exhibitions & automatically invite them to their 2021 exhibition?  All large exhibitions like Ally Pally & the NEC give invites to layouts years in advance.  I was invited to the NEC for this year 4 years ago.  This would mean disappointment to this years exhibitors & all current invites should be moved one year to the right.  This would make planning easier for exhibition  organisers.

Peter

Exactly the system I using for York, assuming that we will be able to have a Show by Easter 2021.

Mal

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Well we have finally woken up and reality has dawned

Unfortunately for some people it hasn't..pubs were fairly full last night according to her indoors.

Baz

• Agree 1

I think 2020 is basically cancelled as far as shows, exhibitions, concerts and similar activities are concerned.  The average age at a model railway exhibition makes it a particular no-no.  If you can clearly remember steam trains in regular BR service, you're at elevated risk.  if you can remember the Big Four, you definitely need to batten down the hatches and avoid everyone else until there's a vaccine, or it miraculously disappears like SARS did.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Barry O said:

Unfortunately for some people it hasn't..pubs were fairly full last night according to her indoors.

Baz

I suspect a lot more crowded than they would have been had not HMG announced it would be last orders UFN.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, DutyDruid said:

I hear that a week or so ago that the authorities that run freemasonry in the UK effectively shut their operations down - at least at a local level - for a period of 4 months.  I suppose if you take the the Government's line of 3 months (12 weeks) that BoJo talks about, and then add a month for some sort of taking stock of the situation, that might be an indication of when life might start returning to normal - always assuming that we/they do indeed get it in some semblance of control in that timeframe.

I think if it were to continue for that long, the state would be unable to sustain the assistance currently on the table, lockdown would crumble and matters would resume their natural (and probably brutal) course.

And that's assuming enough of the population stick to it for the planned 12 weeks.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just sent out notifications that the Thorncombe show (in the badlands around the East Devon/West Dorset/South Somerset border), scheduled for Saturday 16th May, is postponed until at least Saturday 15th May 2021.

Hopefully, by then we'll be back to some kind of normality, with enough of us still alive to be able to put on and enjoy a family-friendly get-together.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/03/2020 at 13:54, TEAMYAKIMA said:

I've just seen a news report where it says that 'scientists' have said that social-distancing must last at least until the end of the year.

We have to face up to the fact that we are in a VERY serious situation - goodness only knows what the unemployment rate will be at the end of this.

As far as some people I know are concerned, I am making social distancing a permanent feature.  One person in particular (not railway connected) has this annoying habit of grabbing one by the lower arm and talking right in ones face.  He will not be doing that to me again.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
On 20/03/2020 at 14:30, AY Mod said:

At least they will be on their own and therefore safe!

Mike.

4 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

As far as some people I know are concerned, I am making social distancing a permanent feature.  One person in particular (not railway connected) has this annoying habit of grabbing one by the lower arm and talking right in ones face.  He will not be doing that to me again.

A sideways punch to his nose (if there is room) whilst raising the knee swiftly to the groin may prevent further occurrences!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Guest Half-full
8 hours ago, rogerzilla said:

I think 2020 is basically cancelled as far as shows, exhibitions, concerts and similar activities are concerned.  The average age at a model railway exhibition makes it a particular no-no.  If you can clearly remember steam trains in regular BR service, you're at elevated risk.  if you can remember the Big Four, you definitely need to batten down the hatches and avoid everyone else until there's a vaccine, or it miraculously disappears like SARS did.

Not quite, I know a good few folk who can remember the big 4 who are in better shape than me (in my forties with no health conditions).

SARS hasn't disappeared.

I wouldn't say the whole of 2020 is wiped out, certainly the 1st half of the year is, but there is good hope that the winter season of exhibitions will run.

Edited by Half-full

9 hours ago, Half-full said:

Not quite, I know a good few folk who can remember the big 4 who are in better shape than me (in my forties with no health conditions).

SARS hasn't disappeared.

I wouldn't say the whole of 2020 is wiped out, certainly the 1st half of the year is, but there is good hope that the winter season of exhibitions will run.

Hope, not certainty!

• Agree 1