Exhibition cancellations (not much to do with that anymore!)

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, 2mmMark said:

Thinking laterally, might this help with social distancing at exhibitions?

meters.jpg.20c0a071f928a5d615b2121584737940.jpg

39 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Not in the current climate, there'd be immeasurable resistance.

36 minutes ago, 2mmMark said:

A lot of people will indeed stay at ohm.

I can only imagine that, before certain events are conducted, some people might be looking for extra capacity in certain venues.

(Coat ... hat ... gone ... .)

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

Exhibitions in the future - I'll get my Crystal Oscillator out.

Perhaps this is Watt is required.

Walk or go by Cycle, or hire a van from Hertz. Don't blow your Fuse if the queue is long. Respect the need to reduce Capacitance in the hall. I'll be Reluctant  to go myself, being Insulated and a self Isolator. But, like everything else it all depends on the door Charge

I used to attend exhibitions with my Transistor and her boyfriend Henry. they're like Magnets, He likes model trains but is AC / DC (A Markin fan !), - I'm sure he's trying to Transformer. I get Anode with him at times., they act sometimes like a Twisted Pair. I do miss her old boyfriend Eddy Current, I thought they were a Thermocouple.

I doubt exhibitions will Hum in the Mains hall again soon. perhaps they will all go Out of Phase. I hope the situation is Rectified soon, or we will all be in a Vacuum Tube.

Brit15

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, 43110andyb said:

Im staying as Faraday as possible from exhibitions at the moment! :lol:

Let's guess - with a number of exhibition halls being metal framed buildings, they might also function as cages.

Also, with lots of people in confined spaces, there's little chance of social distancing.

Edited by Huw Griffiths
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, nick_bastable said:

this thread cry's  out for a groan button

Nick B

Especially when the source is an Admin!

Perhaps this might spark some kind of response!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, nick_bastable said:

this thread cry's  out for a groan button

15 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

Especially when the source is an Admin!

Perhaps this might spark some kind of response!

I suspect you might encounter some reluctance on the part of some contributors to this thread (or might there be some impedance?).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/05/2020 at 15:17, Furness Wagon said:

We are both an exhibiting a layout and have a trade stand at GuildEx at the end of August. My dad, who is a guild member, renewed his membership yesterday and asked what the status of the show was. What came from the conversation was that no-one knows. This is probably the same as every show, this year. It would be great to be told what is going on but no-one knows so we can speculate but that is it. As a trader I'm planning that it's going to go ahead and keeping my fingers crossed.

Marc

I am also exhibiting and  have also asked the Management Committee via the GOG Forum the Guild forum a few days back

The reply I got was as follows:

'As yet the Management Committee does not have a date for a decision and is still in discussions with the TIC who are themselves taking advice from their national exhibition body. They are communicating to us on a regular basis but as yet there is no clear cut answer to the issue of when the decision has to be made.
What I can say is that when any decision is made it will be put on the home web site and linked to the forum so members can see where to go to read it. We will try and ensure that the widest circulation possible is made as this effects both members and non members who wish to attend.
'

When you consider that the  G0G have paid a deposit for the use of the Telford International Centre, and should they cancel then they will forfeit the deposit.  The sum involved is several thousand pounds.

If the Government permits large gatherings in indoor arenas but the end of August, then TIC will be keen to allow Guildex to go ahead. 

However, if the Government says no, then TIC will  have no option to cancel the booking and the Guild will get a refund.

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

I am also exhibiting and  have also asked the Management Committee via the GOG Forum the Guild forum a few days back

The reply I got was as follows:

'As yet the Management Committee does not have a date for a decision and is still in discussions with the TIC who are themselves taking advice from their national exhibition body. They are communicating to us on a regular basis but as yet there is no clear cut answer to the issue of when the decision has to be made.
What I can say is that when any decision is made it will be put on the home web site and linked to the forum so members can see where to go to read it. We will try and ensure that the widest circulation possible is made as this effects both members and non members who wish to attend.
'

When you consider that the  G0G have paid a deposit for the use of the Telford International Centre, and should they cancel then they will forfeit the deposit.  The sum involved is several thousand pounds.

If the Government permits large gatherings in indoor arenas but the end of August, then TIC will be keen to allow Guildex to go ahead. 

However, if the Government says no, then TIC will  have no option to cancel the booking and the Guild will get a refund.

It looks like the TIC are sat there with a gun to the Guild's head. It's no real surprise that this will be the last time GuildEx will be in at the TIC.

Marc

• Agree 2

Can't see TIC are doing anything wrong. All they (and other venue owners) can do is hope the problem goes away sooner rather than later. It is possible that exhibitions might get the green light in August but it looks rather unlikely. 

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

I, like all of us,  hope that things are resolved completely  by then..........but I can't see it. My comments are somewhat generic but I hope, observational.

There will still be changes required either through Government direction or personal choice. The issue that will arise, using GOG as an example is that potentially both the GOG and TIC will be very much victims of  as yet inknown circumstance at that time. Hence no one is seemingly rushing into a decision. 

Let's say the event can proceed due to a relaxing of current restrictions. 

The event will, in all likleyhood still be subject to a number of revised restrictions in some shape or form. I see this revolving around numbers influenced by the need to ensure social distancing. This could of course change dramatically but it may not, so.........

This will undoubttably have an effect on the conduct of patrons inside the venue as well as those waiting to enter. Numbers allowed in could be reduced by a significant number to ensure social distancing as currently in place at some retail outlets. Just as at these retail outlets there may well need to be a one way system. Entry could be pre-paid ticket only to prevent people having to handle cash on the day. The same for traders and any cafe and bar on site. 

Then we have areas  like a cafe area where there will be less tables and chairs, again due to the need to social distance. Same for any bar. 

Toilets will be the same with reduced  facilities and numbers allowed in at any one time. 

It's not going to be easy for anyone.

In general terms and no inference should be drawn regarding this particular event, as I have no specific knowledge, where an event is held at at a premises, their main income comes from the deposit and perhaps bar sales and cafe purchases.  Ticket sales will go to the event organisers. 

Therefore reduced numbers will have an effect on all of this. Coupled to which, the  profit margins  of the venue may well be cut with the need to comply with as yet unknown measures simply to facilitate the event. 

So to say that TIC are holding a gun to the head of GOG is a little unfair. That's, if I may say so, an emotive response. This is a matter of simple commerce.

TIC is an event space and TIC are an event led venue. Take away the events from such a venue and you are left with a big empty space which is still costing money to be there. 

No doubt they and their staff will have had a pretty torrid time over the last few months with more to come so it is understandable that they are not quick to cancel events themselves. The future is uncertain and no doubt some  staff will be on furlough with the future of their jobs uncertain. Any event is therefore a lifeline. The GOG exhibition  is simply one such event and a way of getting some money back into the coffers. 

Let's not be quick to decry the venue, irrespective of  any perceived issues surrounding the suspected relationship between the venue and this particular event. That's irrelevant. 

Dare I say it, we need to steer clear of comment and not place pressure on organisers to confirm events or otherwise. People are understanably concerned but the organisers will be dealing with enough issues and therefore be under enough pressure behind the scenes, without speculation and enquiries. 

Rob. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Bonafide said:

You have commented at great length and then advised that we need to steer clear of comment.  How strange!

Thanks for the insight offered but you missed the point I was making. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• Administrators
13 hours ago, Furness Wagon said:

It looks like the TIC are sat there with a gun to the Guild's head. It's no real surprise that this will be the last time GuildEx will be in at the TIC.

Marc

Look at it from the TIC's point of view. They have a large and expensive venue that is going to generate no income whatsoever for the forceable future. At the moment, they are sticking to the terms of the contract signed by the GOG. How is that unreasonable? A deposit is to protect them from organisations booking the site and then deciding they don't want it so late, the site can't be re-let. If that kept happening, the venue becomes uneconomic and closes down.

Ultimately, all these cancellations are going to cost someone something. Venues don't maintain themselves for free. Even if they claim on their insurance, that loss will be loaded on to future premiums. It's possible that some many decide that selling the site as brownfield would be more profitable.

• Agree 17

13 hours ago, Chris M said:

Can't see TIC are doing anything wrong. All they (and other venue owners) can do is hope the problem goes away sooner rather than later. It is possible that exhibitions might get the green light in August but it looks rather unlikely. 

Given that thr Government has extended furlough until October, I suspect that anything before then is likely to be non-existant.

The worst case scenario for a show that has already booked a venue and paid a deposit, is if the government lifts the ban on indoor events but maintains the recommendation that people in a vulnerable demographic should avoid crowds. Because, let's face it, a lot of the potential show-going customer base falls into that category. So a club could find itself in the invidious position of having to choose between cancelling the show and forfeiting the deposit, or going ahead in the knowledge that attendance figures will be low and may well not reach the break-even level. Either way, the club loses, but it has to decide which loss is likely to be the biggest.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

As lockdown started we were due to hold NGSouth, we couldn’t cancel early or we forfeited the hire and until the venue had government instructions they couldn’t cancel or they couldn’t claim lost revenue. Neither side was being awkward on the late cancellation but had a duty to the organisation to not throw money away. Until it becomes clear what the restrictions are in August a business must assume it might be ok. If social distancing restrictions allow them to open but limit the numbers, as most of us expect, then the hirer can cancel because the venues capacity has changed and the venue should be able to claim on its insurance.

No doubt some examples of disagreement on refunds may surface but ultimately if the expected capacity is limited by the venue they will be liable as they will have to notify the hirer of the change and therefore break the original contract. 
Things are going to be like this for some time while they search for a way towards ‘normal’ and as all the experts are saying a vaccine will probably take at least 12 months I reckon these uncertainties will last that long. 
If the virus IS the new normal then we need to be sure of that before any politician or business is going to spend vast sums adapting to it when so much money has already been lost. 

We have worked through this so far and the only changes are single manning and sanitiser. The first cannot continue if the train service reverts to full purely on safety grounds and the second doesn’t cover the close working environment. We can’t use the existing phones freely, 8 on our desk, as they bypass any ppe so all that would need to be addressed in some way too. When you spread those simple changes across our industry it gets very expensive and that’s without the major changes that may be required for big public venues. That’s why business is in such a quandary as to what they spend on that may be redundant soon. 

Everyone is trying to keep their business afloat but when it’s necessary for daily updates from the govt as the situation is so fluid how on earth can they plan months ahead? ;) 

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, JohnDMJ said:

Given that thr Government has extended furlough until October, I suspect that anything before then is likely to be non-existant.

That may be true, but your "suspicion" isn't the same as a definite ban by the government. The venue hire isn't going to hand back cash on anything other than a definite ban. That's how contracts work.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

That may be true, but your "suspicion" isn't the same as a definite ban by the government. The venue hire isn't going to hand back cash on anything other than a definite ban. That's how contracts work.

Absolutely correct and it’s is the basically the same for any local model club, organisation or company.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1