Exhibition cancellations (not much to do with that anymore!)

AY Mod

I'm really surprised at how little I miss shows, but I do miss the weekly gathering of the club. Zoom and WhatsApp video meetings have their virtues but lack the spontaneity of face to face conversation.

Lockdown for me isn't such a problem there is the garden and I do share the house with another human and the cat but I do miss the club.

:unsure:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Half-full said:

My next door neighbour is ...... on a zero hours contract so is not eligible for furlough payments.  

Sorry to take things off-topic but https://www.gov.uk/guidance/check-which-employees-you-can-put-on-furlough-to-use-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme (end of first sentence of first paragraph under bullet point 6) says zero hours contract workers are eligible. I appreciate it's entirely possible there's something else we're not aware of which makes her ineligible, and I don't want to pry into her circumstances, but at face value that doesn't ring true. I know there's been a lot of controversy over the scheme (and I really don't want to discuss that here) but if someone's eligible and an employer's not claimed for them, that raises some nasty issues. More constructively, have they checked themselves whether they are eligible or just taken someone else's word for it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Sorry to take things off-topic but https://www.gov.uk/guidance/check-which-employees-you-can-put-on-furlough-to-use-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme (end of first sentence of first paragraph under bullet point 6) says zero hours contract workers are eligible. I appreciate it's entirely possible there's something else we're not aware of which makes her ineligible, and I don't want to pry into her circumstances, but at face value that doesn't ring true. I know there's been a lot of controversy over the scheme (and I really don't want to discuss that here) but if someone's eligible and an employer's not claimed for them, that raises some nasty issues. More constructively, have they checked themselves whether they are eligible or just taken someone else's word for it?

Not wanting to take the thread further off topic but my son is a self employed driving instructor. He only set up last year but can't get anything, despite being told initially he was eligible for assistance. To say he's p*****d off is something of an understatement

• Friendly/supportive 2

14 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I'm really surprised at how little I miss shows, but I do miss the weekly gathering of the club. Zoom and WhatsApp video meetings have their virtues but lack the spontaneity of face to face conversation.

Lockdown for me isn't such a problem there is the garden and I do share the house with another human and the cat but I do miss the club.

:unsure:

I'm the other way round, I miss exhibitions more than I miss the club.

Just read this on FB from the Medway Model Railway Show:

Hi all. I have aupdate on the Medway Model Railway show from the exhibition organiser. The Medway Model Show 2020 has been cancelled and below are the reasons for that decision:

Taking into account feedback from some exhibitors and traders, the prevailing situation and potential difficulties in setting up and running the Medway Model Show, it is with regret and heavy heart that the group has taken the decision to cancel the event at Fort Pitt Grammar School on 5 & 6 September 2020.

While some people explained that they fall into the vulnerable category and would be unable to attend, I know some people were eager for the exhibition to go ahead. However, having spoken with the school on Friday (12 June), the following would have had to apply:

*   All traders and exhibitors would have to wear face coverings in public areas, with traders and others selling items likely to have to wear gloves
  *   All visitors would be strongly encouraged to wear a face covering, accepting that some may not be able to do so for health or other valid reasons
  *   Items picked up from trade stands but not purchased (by a visitor) would need to be wiped with an anti-bacterial liquid/cloth very quickly afterwards
  *   Purchases would ideally be made using a contactless card. If cash has to be accepted, any change would need to be wiped with an anti-bacterial liquid/cloth
  *   It is likely only the two single toilets - the accessible and male teacher - would be available to use across the weekend
  *   There would be no hot food and only limited 'cold' food available on paper plates; with tea/coffee/juice available in paper cups
  *   Walkways would have to be much wider, with a one-way system in operation (which would reduce the number of stands) and a limit to the number of visitors allowed into the school at one time
  *   There would be excessive additional work incurred by the group to make the event work and a likely heavy financial loss.

I am sure you will agree that, in view of the above, it is the right decision to forego the Medway Model Show in 2020 and meet again in 2021. I hope you will be able to join us again on 4 & 5 September 2021 and I will be in touch in due course.

The points made highlight the practical difficulties that we all face as we plan for shows in the future.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, mevaman1 said:

The points made highlight the practical difficulties that we all face as we plan for shows in the future.

‘shows in the *near* future’

It’s this that means patience is the best investment rather than lots of protective equipment. We are still only three months in to the Herculean effort of actually treating this and already some major breakthroughs so that’s a sensible response for today. It might even change by the intended date, that’s an unknown risk presently. No doubt if we do have more significant progress by September or November certain people will be saying why was it cancelled and couldn’t you have rung round everyone last week, popped on your Boudicca’s helmet, has a street party, blitz spirit and all that, and held the show? ;)

I’ve been asked if our show is going ahead next March and all I can say is wait as we can’t make a decision until about 6 months out at the earliest. If things are looking positive on vaccines or similar it might be possible to reduce that decision to three months, if there’s no progress from today then it’ll probably be decided to defer it then. 
I find it slightly ironic that the press and people who are first to evoke images of the Blitz spirit getting us through are those most against simply dealing with the restrictions. I’d say the true spirit of defiance of it are the online shows and zoom meetings that don’t risk a spike, however likely, and save the already massive psychological stress we are hearing about on the frontline emergency services. 
I know someone working on the reception in A&E and they are just grateful that the surge of fresh cases has stopped because the majority are being careful, that’s reduced the risk of catching it to the staff and helped improve the supply of PPE so they can focus on their normal hard work. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

Guest Half-full
17 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Well she's a smart girl and I dont doubt she has looked into everything, she has a mortgage and bills to pay for.  Employers can claim, but its no guarantee they will receive anything for their staff, no matter what contract they are on  

25 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

‘shows in the *near* future’

It’s this that means patience is the best investment rather than lots of protective equipment. We are still only three months in to the Herculean effort of actually treating this and already some major breakthroughs so that’s a sensible response for today. It might even change by the intended date, that’s an unknown risk presently. No doubt if we do have more significant progress by September or November certain people will be saying why was it cancelled and couldn’t you have rung round everyone last week, popped on your Boudicca’s helmet, has a street party, blitz spirit and all that, and held the show? ;)

I’ve been asked if our show is going ahead next March and all I can say is wait as we can’t make a decision until about 6 months out at the earliest. If things are looking positive on vaccines or similar it might be possible to reduce that decision to three months, if there’s no progress from today then it’ll probably be decided to defer it then. 
I find it slightly ironic that the press and people who are first to evoke images of the Blitz spirit getting us through are those most against simply dealing with the restrictions. I’d say the true spirit of defiance of it are the online shows and zoom meetings that don’t risk a spike, however likely, and save the already massive psychological stress we are hearing about on the frontline emergency services. 
I know someone working on the reception in A&E and they are just grateful that the surge of fresh cases has stopped because the majority are being careful, that’s reduced the risk of catching it to the staff and helped improve the supply of PPE so they can focus on their normal hard work. 

I think that the virus will be the determinate of whether this is the ‘near’ future.

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, mevaman1 said:

I think that the virus will be the determinate of whether this is the ‘near’ future.

Agreed, but the point is it’s early days as the scientists have repeatedly told us it takes 12-18 months to get a vaccine normally. The world is throwing huge resources at it but then there’s a huge amount of people going to need treating so we may get faster results but still take the time to distribute it effectively. 
Wildly optimistic and pessimistic views I’ll leave to the media, personally as far as the hobby is concerned I’ll sit it out and follow guidelines for the 12-18 months before making major commitments to a new way of life. Changes in attitude will be needed in case similar happens again but the world ain’t doomed just yet ;) 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

On 22/05/2020 at 21:17, Leander said:

Although there isn't a separate thread (was it worth starting one?), expoEM Autumn in September 2020  has been cancelled. A statement explaining the rationale for this decision is on the 'Exhibition Cancellations' thread, as if one is needed!

1 hour ago, PenrithBeacon said:

The EMGS website still has Expo North as TBA, is it going ahead?

https://www.emgs.org/events/exhibitions/

Cheers

27 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

TBA suggests to me that a final decision is yet to be made.

John

8 minutes ago, mike morley said:

According to the UKModelshops website its not only still going ahead, its going ahead at a different venue!

1 hour ago, PenrithBeacon said:

The EMGS website still has Expo North as TBA, is it going ahead?

https://www.emgs.org/events/exhibitions/

Cheers

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mike morley said:

According to the UKModelshops website its not only still going ahead, its going ahead at a different venue!

And on a different weekend!!

On the EMGS site it is 5/6 Sept in Pontefract, on UKModelshops it is 12/13 Sept in Wakefield.

Well there is a couple of months and a bit of distancing to ease before September so there is still time.

13 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

On the EMGS site it is 5/6 Sept in Pontefract, on UKModelshops it is 12/13 Sept in Wakefield.

Well there is a couple of months and a bit of distancing to ease before September so there is still time.

See the top quote in my reply above. It was cancelled a month ago.

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, durham light infantry said:

Mike

Unfortunately the EM Gauge Society website seems to be experiencing problems at this moment in time having lost all it's formatting.

However expoEM Autumn this September is definitely canceled - confirmed by a facebook post on the 22nd May 

https://www.facebook.com/emgauge/

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 minutes ago, durham light infantry said:

Mike

Ta, you should have just left it at Leander's comment as although at the top it didn't stand out with all the other comments below.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, mozzer models said:

As a trader at this show we have been told it is no longer on in 2020

Due to the Covid 19 situation and as some of the age demographic would fall into a potentially 'vunerable' category, the EMGS Board has made the decision of postponing Expo Autumn until 2021.

It is hoped that the lineup for 2020 will be reflected in 2021, possibly with a few tweaks.

We are hoping to have a 'virtual' show online on the weekend concerned, still a work in progress as we speak. This may feature the ever popular 'Members Sales'.

Martin Jones

Exhibition Manager

Expo EM Autumn 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 21/06/2020 at 12:37, woodenhead said:

It's not happening, end of story. The proposed dates and venue were correct on the EMGS site, The UK Model Shops entry? Well, who knows? All I can say is that I never gave Adrian that information. It appears to be the case that he's just used the information from last year to update the entry for September 2020.

Hopefully we'll be reconvening in September 2021. We'll let you know when and where in due course.

Don't underestimate either this virus's capacity to wreak havoc or the public health implications of presenting an exhibition in the current climate. Also, be aware of the age group of both the participants and attendees at such events.

I'll leave it at that for now.

• Agree 5

On 21/06/2020 at 13:07, woodenhead said:

Ta, you should have just left it at Leander's comment as although at the top it didn't stand out with all the other comments below.

Maybe a more detailed examination may have revealed the information?

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, melmerby said:

Is there a definive list of cancelled shows on RMWeb?

The original post hasn't been updated with the later cancellations.

Here's a comprehensive list of all the exhibitions that are confirmed to be on:-

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 9