Exhibition cancellations (not much to do with that anymore!)

AY Mod

3 hours ago, MartinWales said:

Maybe a more detailed examination may have revealed the information?

I just got pulled in by the variance in date and location between the EMGS site and UK Modelshops.

Personally I wasn't and am not expecting to be seeing any exhibitions this side of October

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, melmerby said:

Is there a definive list of cancelled shows on RMWeb?

The original post hasn't been updated with the later cancellations.

I believe this thread was supposed to be for that but, like most threads on here, it became a discussion.

A forum is not very useful for information which gets updated, because the relevant information becomes lost in a thread & becomes extremely difficult to find.

Somebody could create a thread then they or an admin can update the 1st post with any updates in the thread, but usually the poster does no know this, which lands the burden on Andy & Phil.

I am sure they spend enough time on here without having to do that to the many threads that they would become responsible for.

A wiki is much more suitable.

This is great if used properly because anyone can update it just by clicking the edit button, making the changes, then pressing save.

What actually happens is that the majority of people do nothing more than tell somebody else & expect them to do it. :banghead:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

In Leeds we are awaiting information from the School if we can or can't hold our show at the end of October. Thanks to AndyY we have some data which pushes us down one route. 

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I just got pulled in by the variance in date and location between the EMGS site and UK Modelshops.

Personally I wasn't and am not expecting to be seeing any exhibitions this side of October

I think in most cases, now with the cancellation of Manchester show, we'll be lucky to see some this side of Christmas! 

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, MartinWales said:

now with the cancellation of Manchester show

Where has that been confirmed? The website still states...

Because of the uncertainty caused the present Covid-19 pandemic, the final decision on whether or not to proceed with the exhibition will be taken on September 8th.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Where has that been confirmed? The website still states...

For what it's worth as "heresay evidence", a friend of mine who is a member of Manchester MRS has told me that this year's show has been cancelled.  I will no doubt have mentioned that to Mr Wales.

• Thanks 1

I think that Phatbob and MartinWales need to check their facts with a reliable source before posting - perhaps they got us mixed up with the Manchester Museum of Transport exhibition which would have been held in mid May and was cancelled.  The decision on the format (if any) of the Manchester MRS show this year will be taken in a  scheduled committee meeting on July 16.  Of course it is true that the prospects for staging our exhibition are bleak, bur remember that this is Manchester - we do things differently here.

If anyone wishes to be kept informed about our exhibitions, simply sign up to our mailing list.  You can do this by going to the MMRS website, or emailing  exhibition@mmrs.co.uk  ,or dropping me a PM, or even just replying to this thread.  Anything to show that we are complying with GDPR.

Philip1812 aka Exhibition Coordinator, Manchester Model Railway Society.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, melmerby said:

Is there a definive list of cancelled shows on RMWeb?

The original post hasn't been updated with the later cancellations.

I think at the moment we can all agree that ALL  shows are suspended as they are not yet allowed to go ahead ? Some organisers have had to make the decision to cancel to mitigate losses, Some have moved this year's event to next year, providing conditions allow them to safely put on a viable show. Some are still to make that decision based on mitigating losses, viability, venue availability, and probably some who hope that if they CAN put on SOME sort of show they bloomin well will !  I'm sure the moment a decision is made to go ahead the message will come through load and clear to us.

@Andy Y.  Might it be worth adding a big red message to your first post stating that due to shear volume of cancellations you have suspended updating the list, for members to still keep posting CONFIRMED cancellations, and that to be sure as soon as ANY show is flagged as going ahead THAT Information will be promulgated.  Then go take a well earned break. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Philip1812 said:

I think that Phatbob and MartinWales need to check their facts with a reliable source before posting - perhaps they got us mixed up with the Manchester Museum of Transport exhibition which would have been held in mid May and was cancelled.  The decision on the format (if any) of the Manchester MRS show this year will be taken in a  scheduled committee meeting on July 16.  Of course it is true that the prospects for staging our exhibition are bleak, bur remember that this is Manchester - we do things differently here.

Philip1812 aka Exhibition Coordinator, Manchester Model Railway Society.

Exactly the same as was faced by the EMGS with the decision to postpone Expo EM Autumn in September, but as stated the info was supplied by a MMRS member, see Phatbob's comment above.

No one would be more pleased than I if it were to go ahead, as I haven't been to a show in approximately 8 months! 

The gist I got from today's press conference was that after the relaxations announced today, there are unlikely to be any further major relaxations potentially for up to 12 months (Chris Whitty) and future 'progress' is more likely to be in terms of working with various sectors (sports, theatres, etc) to find ways of enabling those sectors to resume within current guidelines. I suspect model railway exhibitions will come quite a long way down that list... :-(

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

I suspect model railway exhibitions will come quite a long way down that list..

No, but there is an indoor events industry that is going to make a lot of noise. Model railway shows aren't special, or big budget compared to these.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Having just read the government statement it could be another year before any indoor exhibition spaces are available. It didn't get the impression that there wouldn't be any more changes for some time.

Not sure about small shows in the likes of a church hall.

Marc

• RMweb Premium

Rather than filling this thread even further with (sometimes) poorly informed suggestions/ statements/ nuggets of wisdom.. try putting all of the comments on Exhibition Cancellations and Concerns on  its own thread please?  You all seem to be afraid of putting any comments in there.. the ones on the thread at the moment have been helpful to some members...

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/155948-exhibitions-a-place-to-add-your-ideas-on-the-current-situation/

that way when someone has cancelled a show everyone can see it.. please......

Baz

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Rather than filling this thread even further with (sometimes) poorly informed suggestions/ statements/ nuggets of wisdom.. try putting all of the comments on Exhibition Cancellations and Concerns on  its own thread please?  You all seem to be afraid of putting any comments in there.. the ones on the thread at the moment have been helpful to some members...

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/155948-exhibitions-a-place-to-add-your-ideas-on-the-current-situation/

that way when someone has cancelled a show everyone can see it.. please......

Baz

I'd agree with you if this thread wasn't 30 pages long. With respect the discussion has been  here for some time  and I can't see the value fragmenting it.

I think it's safe to assume shows are off for the foreseeable.... Rest assured that when a show does run.... it will be newsworthy and we shall hear about it. 

Just my opinion.

Griff

• Agree 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, griffgriff said:

I'd agree with you if this thread wasn't 30 pages long. With respect the discussion has been  here for some time  and I can't see the value fragmenting it.

I think it's safe to assume shows are off for the foreseeable.... Rest assured that when a show does run.... it will be newsworthy and we shall hear about it. 

Just my opinion.

Griff

It has also spilled into other threads .with the same people having "their Opinions" .... so it would be nice to be able to items like that posted by Chris on here..

@Andy Y could .. if he was really bored move all the bits on this and other threads which are not really relevant to this thread as in "Real news about Cancellations" elsewhere so we can see the changes/updates more easily...

But that is only my opinion as well...

Baz

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

The squadron of low flying pigs are just taxiing out to the end of runway 27

Would that be the same squadron of pigs that the Telford International Centre are watching as GuildEx2020 is still on for the end of August. They are still holding out against telling the Gauge O Guild that the show is off even though the government have stated in black and white that all exhibition spaces are off limits for the next few month at least. This is unless I have missed something?

Marc   

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Furness Wagon said:

Would that be the same squadron of pigs that the Telford International Centre are watching as GuildEx2020 is still on for the end of August. They are still holding out against telling the Gauge O Guild that the show is off even though the government have stated in black and white that all exhibition spaces are off limits for the next few month at least. This is unless I have missed something?

Marc   

Well according to the Guild website, a decision is going to be made next week (although that was posted last week, so they mean this week). 

I presume everyone will be put out of their misery tomorrow.

The pigs are all parked up over at Shawbury this evening.

• Like 1