Exhibition cancellations (not much to do with that anymore!)

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

GUILDEX at Telford is CANCELLED

Information posted on Guild site this morning. Appears decision was made by Guild Committee even though TIC wanted to continue with their 'wait and see' policy. seems there could possibly be a loss of £23,000 for hall hire paid in advance but negotiations continue regarding the terms of the contract.

Details here (not sure if you need to be a Guild member to view this page)

https://www.gaugeoguild.com/news/files/5e255ff1-d492-404a-a11d-70ba09d9aec6.pdf

This is a direct link to the members' only forum for those who don't normally go there . . . . . . . 

https://www.gaugeoguild.com/xenforo/index.php?threads/guildex-2020-announcement.5971/

Now we need to find out the plans for the AGM as there are several committee posts that will become vacant.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

I got an email from Jackie this morning. 

The TIC are looking like a lot of ostrichs with their heads in sand waiting to be bitten on the backside by a lion. They would be in breach of Covid-19 regulations and subsequently the Health and Safety at work act, if the show went  ahead as they would be failing in their duty of care.

You have to wonder if the TIC are not capable of returning deposits

Marc

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, Furness Wagon said:

You have to wonder if the TIC are not capable of returning deposits

Speculation but very valid.

Venues like this must be expensive to maintain & need to be in constant use to pay for themselves. They surely need to do everything possible to minimise their losses?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I think I saw something about the owners of the centre going bust for a VERY large amount. That could have a lot to do with a lack of refunds. I just hope it all gets sorted. 

• Moderators

I'm not sure if the TIC carpark is still being used for a drive-through test centre anyway still; it certainly was a month or so ago.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

I'm not sure if the TIC carpark is still being used for a drive-through test centre anyway still; it certainly was a month or so ago.

No it was a short lived event.

The local Scouts were approached to provide tables and chairs to help out.

They were assured that these would be decontaminated after use.

They weren't, just left in piles covered in dirt and bird crap.

Back on topic about Guildex 2020:

Speculation about the TIC going bust and the amount of money the Guild might or might no have lost is not really appropriate for this thread.

• Informative/Useful 1

The important point is that the Guild have, to their credit, made the correct decision. We may never know the reasons the TIC were dragging their heels in face of the facts. Fingers crossed on the guild getting their money back. 

Lets be positive: it gives me an extra year to finish my small layout,; built some extra stock and for the first time in 20 years I can have a summer holiday with out the worry of getting ready for GuildEx. Not sure what I'm going to do with my time but i'm sure the LSW can add a few more jobs to the list!

Marc

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Chris116 said:

I think I saw something about the owners of the centre going bust for a VERY large amount. That could have a lot to do with a lack of refunds. I just hope it all gets sorted. 

Where did you get this information from and when?

I ask because on 03 Jun 20 this appeared in the Shropshire Star:

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/local-hubs/telford/2020/06/03/exhibition-centre-plans-major-expansion/

• RMweb Premium

I have been looking very carefully to find the information and I think I have got it totally wrong. I read "Trafford Centre" as "Telford Centre". Sorry to have mislead everyone. 

It is INTU who run Trafford Centre and Lakeside amongst others who are having problems. 

Edited by Chris116
Hit send before finishing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

I have been looking very carefully to find the information and I think I have got it totally wrong.

Been there, seen it done it and got the Tee shirt! (More than once)

Thanks for checking and confirming

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Chris116 said:

I have been looking very carefully to find the information and I think I have got it totally wrong. I read "Trafford Centre" as "Telford Centre". Sorry to have mislead everyone. 

It is INTU who run Trafford Centre and Lakeside amongst others who are having problems. 

Off topic, really, but here's the confirmation....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53195980 

• Informative/Useful 2

event-4088-0-47242400-1375821731.jpg

Dear all,

After a thorough deliberation, given the current situation regarding the COVID-19 (Corona) virus, we had to make the painful decision to postpone Eurospoor2020, which was scheduled for 30, 31 October and 1 November.

Gathering large groups of people (approx. 5000 per day) at an international public event is at present not allowed. There is also no vaccine or medicine at the moment. We also expect that during the autumn months, the 1.5 metre society will have to be respected. However, for an event like Eurospoor this is not a feasible situation, because visitors are normally inclined to group together in their enthusiasm for the beautiful model railways and (unconsciously) will not pay attention to the 1.5 metre distance.

Eurospoor is always a feast for model railways. We spare no expense or effort in this regard. It is a hobby event with a fantastic and unique atmosphere that has taken place for 26 years in succession. We do our utmost to ensure that everyone feels relaxed and good at our event and that visitors and participants get an unforgettable model railway experience.

Normally, Eurospoor is a day-long event, but with all the intended measures of the ‘new normal’ it will not be possible for the visitor to see all the exhibits in one day. Visitors will have to wait for each other in many places and will also have to constantly observe the distances between them, which will cause the event not to be experienced in a relaxed way. On top of that, it is unacceptable that the holding of this event would present health risks to all attendees.

Although at this moment it is already allowed to travel between countries, there is fear and uncertainty as to whether all participants will actually be present. Of course, this is understandable, but this uncertainty makes it impossible for us to complete the thorough organisation of Eurospoor.

It is painful, very painful that we have to skip Eurospoor this year because of the Corona pandemic, especially since Eurospoor did not take place last year either. From an organisational point of view, Eurospoor2020 is already at an advanced stage with an impressive line-up which we were proud to show you. Now that we will not be able to take centre stage in 2020, we will unfortunately have to postpone the deadline to 2021.

We would like to thank everyone for their trust in Eurospoor and ask for your understanding and patience. Next year, just like the previous 26 editions, we will present a fantastic event and hope to welcome you all in good health:

29, 30 and 31 October 2021 at Event & Exhibition Centre Jaarbeurs in Utrecht, the Netherlands.

EUROSPOOR

Leo and Chitra Hendriksen

http://www.eurospoor.nl/en/

info@eurospoor.nl

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

Spalding Model Railway Exhibition - Cancellatiom

After much consideration, we have decided that it is in the best interest of the club & it's members, our exhibitors, traders & the general public to cancel this year's Spalding Model Railway Exhibition which was to be held across the weekend of October 31st & November 1st, 2020.

A large number of the people involved in our hobby are likely to have been shielding to protect their most important health & any kind of distancing required would make exhibition's very different to what we have become accustomed to & would present a fresh set of challenges.

We would have had to shortly commit a large amount of money towards the holding of the exhibition for hotel rooms & other expenses which we, unfortunately, could not guarantee to recoup under the present circumstances.

We will however bring you the 2020 Exhibition virtually where we will have a selection of layouts, demonstrations & a showcase of our trader's product ranges on our website across the weekend of October 30th - November 1st, 2020.

Please stay safe & well. We look forward to welcoming you in person to our 2021 exhibition which is to be held on November 6th and 7th 2021 at Springfields Events Centre.

Spalding Model Railway Club

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

On 26/06/2020 at 23:04, Leo_H said:

event-4088-0-47242400-1375821731.jpg

Dear all,

After a thorough deliberation, given the current situation regarding the COVID-19 (Corona) virus, we had to make the painful decision to postpone Eurospoor2020, which was scheduled for 30, 31 October and 1 November.

Gathering large groups of people (approx. 5000 per day) at an international public event is at present not allowed. There is also no vaccine or medicine at the moment. We also expect that during the autumn months, the 1.5 metre society will have to be respected. However, for an event like Eurospoor this is not a feasible situation, because visitors are normally inclined to group together in their enthusiasm for the beautiful model railways and (unconsciously) will not pay attention to the 1.5 metre distance.

Eurospoor is always a feast for model railways. We spare no expense or effort in this regard. It is a hobby event with a fantastic and unique atmosphere that has taken place for 26 years in succession. We do our utmost to ensure that everyone feels relaxed and good at our event and that visitors and participants get an unforgettable model railway experience.

Normally, Eurospoor is a day-long event, but with all the intended measures of the ‘new normal’ it will not be possible for the visitor to see all the exhibits in one day. Visitors will have to wait for each other in many places and will also have to constantly observe the distances between them, which will cause the event not to be experienced in a relaxed way. On top of that, it is unacceptable that the holding of this event would present health risks to all attendees.

Although at this moment it is already allowed to travel between countries, there is fear and uncertainty as to whether all participants will actually be present. Of course, this is understandable, but this uncertainty makes it impossible for us to complete the thorough organisation of Eurospoor.

It is painful, very painful that we have to skip Eurospoor this year because of the Corona pandemic, especially since Eurospoor did not take place last year either. From an organisational point of view, Eurospoor2020 is already at an advanced stage with an impressive line-up which we were proud to show you. Now that we will not be able to take centre stage in 2020, we will unfortunately have to postpone the deadline to 2021.

We would like to thank everyone for their trust in Eurospoor and ask for your understanding and patience. Next year, just like the previous 26 editions, we will present a fantastic event and hope to welcome you all in good health:

29, 30 and 31 October 2021 at Event & Exhibition Centre Jaarbeurs in Utrecht, the Netherlands.

EUROSPOOR

Leo and Chitra Hendriksen

http://www.eurospoor.nl/en/

info@eurospoor.nl

Thank you for the information.
I have been to Eurospoor many times. Always a great show. I love the Market place you have down the back.
I had been hoping to go. Was waiting till the last min before making any travel plans. I hope 2021 will be Great and look foward to it.
John

I'm not hopeful that we are going see any show before the end of the year.

But on the positive we can all get some modelling done so next year's shows should be filled we alot of great layouts. 

Marc

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Furness Wagon said:

I'm not hopeful that we are going see any show before the end of the year.

But on the positive we can all get some modelling done so next year's shows should be filled with a lot of great layouts. 

Marc

The great thing about this hobby is that there are a wide range of ways to enjoy it.

The absence of shows for a short while is not such a great deal.

We can use the time to get on with modelling or researching the prototype.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'm wondering if it's insurance issues which are now causing cancellations. WHO advice is that if masks are worn and people try to maintain 1M distancing then ok. This is what's caused HMG to open up public transport with mandatory use of masks even though it's all but impossible to be sure of  1M distancing on buses in particular.

I'm thinking that if shows had mandatory use of masks and hand sanitizer on entry then it would be ok, but whether the insurer would agree is another matter.

Cheers

The time has come...

It is with some regret that the Fareham & District MRC announces that we have decided to pull the plug on the 2020 Fareham RailEx that was due to have taken place over the weekend of the 3rd and 4th October 2020.

If you read the details that I have shared as personal views in this thread you will realise the complexity that exhibition organisers have to grapple with and in the end, faced with having to commit a chunk of money to the advertising budget for display ads, we reluctantly concluded that we couldn't balance the uncertainty against the financial risk involved with going ahead.  All exhibitors, traders and demonstrators have now been informed so we are able to go public with this announcement. 

We intend to be back on Saturday 2nd and Sunday 3rd October 2021.

Regulars will know that we had another commemorative wagon in the pipeline for 2020, a 5 plank open wagon branded to Fontley Brickworks.  We are currently considering if we should produce this in 2020 or put it back to 2021, if you keep an eye on the Club's website an announcement will be made there once we finished our considerations.

Elliott Cowton

Vice Chairman

Fareham & District MRC

• Friendly/supportive 9