Exhibition cancellations (not much to do with that anymore!)

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if this the correct place to post this*, our SLS Meetings page updated today for the beginning of what would normally be the Autumn season resumption during September.

The latest position is that all our summer days out events have been cancelled and nothing is likely to be held until October at the earliest. Even where Centres usually begin in September, those meetings are already off or almost certainly off.  Some dates have been tentatively listed for early October, the next update on those is expected from Centres in mid-August for a website update plus release to members via the printed September/October Newsletter

* if the wrong place happy for the Mods to move it.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Half-full said:

Another issue that could be faced is would layout owners travel any distance for a 1 day show?  The guys in my group have currently have a limit of 300 miles for a weekend show, but 50 miles for a 1 day show.

Even with a relatively short drive, loading the car up at silly o'clock in the morning (layout not insured in an unattended vehicle), drive to venue, unload with everyone else who arrives at the time the halls open for set up, set up in a couple of hours, operate all day, then pack up and drive home to unload and return the hire van. That's a long day for me, possibly even longer for the team. It's OK split over two days as you only have the set up or breakdown each day, and Friday set ups are even better as Saturday is just fun. 

Time will tell, and I'm sure we'll adjust to whatever the new norm is.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

I do agree that the first shows to get going again will be the local one day shows that are exactly that (or with minimal extra setup on the evening before.

But:

From an exhibitor standpoint, with anything other than a layout/stand taking less than 30 mins to set up, true one-day shows become difficult, unless it is within less than one hour travelling to/from.

And any layout that requires a hired vehicle will most likely result in a 2-day hire charge. 3-day "weekend" rates are often very comparable to 2-day rates, so there's no real saving to be had from a one day show on that front.

My current layout takes approximately two hours to set up as a minimum (we generally take a bit longer because we can) and having the Friday afternoon/evening to do so makes it quite relaxed. Any issues that are discovered on the Friday test session can usually be resolved simply by arriving a bit earlier on the Saturday morning with a plan already in place. 

Having to "setup and go" gives no room for error - as much as we try to make sure that everything is OK in the few weeks before we get there anyway.

Something else to consider when shows restart -  my team and myself, will have to re-learn how to setup and operate next time out! Although I'm hoping that a refresher session may happen in the not too distant future.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

11 hours ago, newbryford said:

Something else to consider when shows restart -  my team and myself, will have to re-learn how to setup and operate next time out! Although I'm hoping that a refresher session may happen in the not too distant future.

Its something we are considering with the Rochdale Club layouts. Glaisden for example hasn't been out for a couple of years now (we were due at Warley with it this year) but it takes a good few hours to assemble and stock up, as well as being a head scratching puzzle sometimes when assembling it. Assuming Southampton goes ahead next January it will be a year since I put up North Ballachulish. Consideration is being made of taking a short term let out on some suitable industrial premises certainly to put Glaisden up, and the possibility of having an controlled "open/running day" will seriously be considered.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if a way forward, certainly for smaller shows is a few big layouts in a large outdoor venue like a big marquee (I am sure the marquee hire companies will be very glad of the business) with plenty of circulation space all around.

Keep it simple, then each successive show builds it up based on the experience of the previous one.

Even without the virus, I feel that the days of shows shoehorned into cramped school corridors is coming to an end with the needs for disability access etc.

Edited by John M Upton

• Moderators
1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

a few big layouts in a large outdoor venue like a big marquee

They cost more than hall hire when delivery/erection/dismantling is taken into account.

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

They cost more than hall hire when delivery/erection/dismantling is taken into account.

And the floors are a tad uneven and I’ve even seen one where a cow had used it for shelter and left a few surprises for the unwary ;) 

• Funny 6

14 hours ago, tc said:

Even with a relatively short drive, loading the car up at silly o'clock in the morning (layout not insured in an unattended vehicle), drive to venue, unload with everyone else who arrives at the time the halls open for set up, set up in a couple of hours, operate all day, then pack up and drive home to unload and return the hire van. That's a long day for me, possibly even longer for the team. It's OK split over two days as you only have the set up or breakdown each day, and Friday set ups are even better as Saturday is just fun. 

Time will tell, and I'm sure we'll adjust to whatever the new norm is.

I suspect Friday night set up for a one day show would become the norm (Shenfield, for example, has operated that way)

But I suspect that this all means that when shows resume they will tend to be small one-day affairs with layouts from within 90 minutes drive

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Ravenser said:

I suspect Friday night set up for a one day show would become the norm (Shenfield, for example, has operated that way)

But I suspect that this all means that when shows resume they will tend to be small one-day affairs with layouts from within 90 minutes dri

I am not in any way disagreeing with you, but that is a very depressing thought for someone like me.

I am a member of two layout 'teams' - my layout and Al Turner's Remagen - we basically share the same team for both layouts

Both layouts are too big to be set up at home and so only ever get operated at shows. Both layouts requires an XLB transit van, my layout needs accommodation for 6 operators, Al's needs 4.

We plan to do 4 shows each per year.

So in the scenario you paint there is very little hope of either of us getting invites in the short term when shows re-open.

As I have said before in this thread, I am resigned to hiring a church hall and a van and putting on a one layout show for my friends and family just to get some use of a layout that has taken 9 years of my life to build - I need to get some emotional return on that investment even if it costs me financially.

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Ravenser said:

But I suspect that this all means that when shows resume they will tend to be small one-day affairs with layouts from within 90 minutes drive

The Aylsham show also allows Friday late afternoon / early evening set up, in fact it's easier for us stewarding the show.. Though the club members themselves, do help both traders and exhibitors unload / load vhicles on both the Friday and Saturday.  Our " Big Guest layout" has  come from up to 2.5 hours away..

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AY Mod said:

From experience, marquees can be windy and have uneven ground.  Also the greater risk of theft/vandalism from a marquee is worth considering.  We (Redruth MRC) have done marquees before and wouldn’t do them again.

1 hour ago, mevaman1 said:

From experience, marquees can be windy and have uneven ground.  Also the greater risk of theft/vandalism from a marquee is worth considering.  We (Redruth MRC) have done marquees before and wouldn’t do them again.

I've done a show in a marquee - the Gaugemaster event at Ford - and would agree, plus Gaugemaster paid an absolute arm and leg in order to have active security in each of their marquees overnight each day.

23 hours ago, TheQ said:

The Aylsham show also allows Friday late afternoon / early evening set up, in fact it's easier for us stewarding the show.. Though the club members themselves, do help both traders and exhibitors unload / load vhicles on both the Friday and Saturday.  Our " Big Guest layout" has  come from up to 2.5 hours away..

Which is entirely the point.

Friday setup for a layout a bit further away usually involves an overnight stay, usually in a hotel. This is an extra cost for the host.

If attendances are going to be a little lower for the first few shows then these shows will want to cut back on costs a little more than what has been happening.

It may take a while longer* before organisers are more confident that attendances are 'back to normal' before arranging bigger shows again.

*however long it takes to organise a show after the first one 'back to normal' takes place.

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Which is entirely the point.

Friday setup for a layout a bit further away usually involves an overnight stay, usually in a hotel. This is an extra cost for the host.

If attendances are going to be a little lower for the first few shows then these shows will want to cut back on costs a little more than what has been happening.

It may take a while longer* before organisers are more confident that attendances are 'back to normal' before arranging bigger shows again.

*however long it takes to organise a show after the first one 'back to normal' takes place.

Most shows from what I've seen are almost already organised for 2021, they've just asked those booked for 2020 to come next year, and many have accepted..

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

DERBY ROUNDHOUSE

The following letter has been distributed to all of our exhibitors and traders.

Derby Model Railway Exhibition cancellation

It is with huge regret that we announce the cancellation of the 2021 Derby Model Railway Exhibition which was due to take place on 8th & 9th May next year. For the last five years, the event has taken place in The Roundhouse which is part of Derby College. The college has recently informed Mickleover Model Railway Group (MMRG) that it is cancelling all future events already booked at the Roundhouse and will no longer be offering the venue for events in the future. This is due to the uncertainties around COVID-19, the restrictions on mass gatherings and a decision to focus on its core function as a college.

Obviously, this is hugely disappointing for myself and everyone else at MMRG as we have been particularly proud of the quality exhibition we have worked so hard to build.

The combination of the time between now and when the event was due to take place, and the ongoing COVID-19 uncertainties, mean that it is just not feasible to find a suitable alternative venue in which to hold the exhibition at this point. So, whilst difficult, the only sensible decision is to cancel the event, giving everyone involved as much notice as possible.

MMRG and myself would like to thank all visitors, traders and exhibitors who have supported the Derby Model Railway Exhibition over its 39 events and, particularly, during its recent period at The Roundhouse.

Hopefully the Derby Model Railway Exhibition will be able to return at some point in the future.

Alex Hall

Exhibition Manager – Derby

Mickleover Model Railway Group

In a newsletter sent to MMRG members, Chairman Glenn Daniel added

Clearly, this is disappointing, but probably not that surprising really, given the need for the college to prioritise the safety and needs of its students and staff, including but not limited to reducing the risks of imported infections, social distancing and catch-up education.
My personal view is that thinking we could run a show next year was always going to be a long shot, given the unprecedented times in which we now find ourselves. We will however consider what possibilities there may be for a limited show of some kind, always taking account of the fact that the new certainty is uncertainty!

On a personal note, I have been involved in almost all of those 39 shows, starting at the Assembly Rooms with shows organised by Stewart Ward which enabled us to buy our clubrooms, and more recently working with Alex at Moorways Sports Centre and then the Roundhouse. However I never really got to see the exhibitions as I spent most of my time locked in the office counting the cash !!

Those who live locally and recall the previous shows will know that the Assembly Rooms closed after a severe fire destroyed the 'plant room' and is now to be demolished, and Moorways has also been knocked down and is being replaced by a swimming pool. 

Many thanks to all of our exhibitors, traders and visitors over the years.  'We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when' !!

Mike

on behalf of Mickleover Model Railway Group

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

A real shame as derby is always one of the highlights of the exhibition season for me, hopefully when you are in a position to do so a new Venue can be found 

I’m sure you can hire rooms at the RTC complex? 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 09/07/2020 at 12:03, John M Upton said:

I wonder if a way forward, certainly for smaller shows is a few big layouts in a large outdoor venue like a big marquee

Does a large marquee not just become an indoor space, with aload of added issues. You are moving from 1 secure indoor environment to 1 difficult to secure indoor environment. I do not from a Covid point of view see the difference between a hall and marquee.

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
On 10/07/2020 at 14:13, TheQ said:

Most shows from what I've seen are almost already organised for 2021, they've just asked those booked for 2020 to come next year, and many have accepted..

That’s not really the case. The large shows can book up to 3 years in advance- so those shows cancelled in 2020!cannot just assume that the planned layouts will simply turn up one year later as this will clash with bookings for 2021. Unless everyone moves everything back by a year! Then again shows weren’t cancelled till March this year so some did go ahead such as Doncaster. Tricky.

• Agree 2

I can't just move the Trainwest 2020 layouts to 2021 because that show was already full. I also had ten layouts already booked for 2022. I have therefore had to start again by asking everyone what their availability is for 2021 and 2022. Next year's show will not be the show that was planned for 2020, nor will it be the original 2021 show. It will be a compromise.

Geoff Endacott

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Confirmed with this on their Facebook page:

Rail Ex Taunton 2020 - CANCELLED.

We are sorry to announce that due to the ongoing uncertainty regarding the pandemic it has been decided to cancel the 2020 show. We hope to return as normal in October 2021.

Geoff Endacott

• Informative/Useful 2