Exhibition cancellations (not much to do with that anymore!)

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Geoff Endacott said:

... the best course of action is to cancel the 2021 show....

Andy Y has given us an applauding response.

Can we now have a weeping one too?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

The SEC is currently the NHS Louisa Jordan Hospital. AMRSS have this correct on their Facebook page, but their website  refers to a Nightingale hospital, which doesn't exist in Scotland.  Same result, nothing to lighten the winter gloom in February, so now hoping all is OK in time for Perth 2021.

• Agree 1

Yes, it's disappointing that Model Rail Scotland 2021 has been cancelled, but it's not entirely surprising.  In previous years, the first payment of the hall hire charge was normally due about seven months in advance of the show (ie the end of July), so the decision as to whether or not to commit to the 2021 show needed to be made now.  In this instance the venue informed the show organisers that they couldn't commit to the booking on the planned dates, which has effectively forced the cancellation of the show.

As the Nominated Member for my club, I voted in agreement with the proposal to cancel and hope that AMRSS Ltd can put on a great show in 2022 instead.

Edited by Dungrange
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Well, now that Government's relying on local Councils to keep things under control we can be confident of getting back to normal soon

Ahem, no so quick

Well this week, first of all we received a letter from the Council notifying that the road will be closed Wednesday to Friday next week for resurfacing work..

So on Wednesday, I asked the Council employed refuse collectors what would be happening about the bin collection next week..

Not only did they not know, that was the first they knew of it!!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Ken.W said:

Well, now that Government's relying on local Councils to keep things under control we can be confident of getting back to normal soon

In other words, surprise, surprise, the Government has passed the buck.....

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

In other words, surprise, surprise, the Government has passed the buck.....

I think in the current situation, the Councils have wanted to take control - they, after all, should know their boroughs better than the Government do. Leicester seem to have said that they could have managed their lockdown better had they done it themselves rather than having Government impose it.

• Agree 2

I think in the current situation with different areas having different amounts of cases local control is a good thing. It allows more targeted solutions to help keep those case numbers down and finally defeat the virus.

Local areas have been wanting more control for years.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Dungrange said:

Yes, it's disappointing that Model Rail Scotland 2021 has been cancelled, but it's not entirely surprising.  In previous years, the first payment of the hall hire charge was normally due about seven months in advance of the show (ie the end of July), so the decision as to whether or not to commit to the 2021 show needed to be made now.  In this instance the venue informed the show organisers that they couldn't commit to the booking on the planned dates, which has effectively forced the cancellation of the show.

As the Nominated Member for my club, I voted in agreement with the proposal to cancel and hope that AMRSS Ltd can put on a great show in 2022 instead.

Yes it’s such a shame but completely understandable .  Having attended every year since 1973 it will seem odd not having a Model Rail Scotland but we have to keep it in context . Maybe we could have a virtual one instead with all the usual AMRSS members . And we should be happy that the 2020 show really was the last big show to happen before lockdown and cancellations kicked in , it probably was the only big show of 2020 to take  place . 

Might I suggest that someone from AMRSS makes a separate posting on this in the Exhibitions section as not everyone looks in this thread .  

Edited by Legend
  • Agree 1

• Administrators

Not our hobby, but interesting:

*NEWS ANNOUNCEMENT*

0?e=1598486400&v=beta&t=jjMz80FP3F4fjQwM

The UK's government has given The Baby Show the green light to open its doors for both of its 2020 events - London's Olympia, 23 – 25 October and NEC Birmingham on 27 – 29 November 2020. The Baby Show is working hard with Olympia London and The NEC, Birmingham to make sure the necessary arrangements are being facilitated to bring visitors and loyal exhibitors to the UK's leading and most respected parenting event.

Which would suggest that ways are being found to get trade events back on track at large exhibition centres.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

*NEWS ANNOUNCEMENT*

The UK's government has given The Baby Show the green light to open its doors for both of its 2020 events - London's Olympia, 23 – 25 October and NEC Birmingham on 27 – 29 November 2020. The Baby Show is working hard with Olympia London and The NEC, Birmingham to make sure the necessary arrangements are being facilitated to bring visitors and loyal exhibitors to the UK's leading and most respected parenting event.

Which would suggest that ways are being found to get trade events back on track at large exhibition centres.

I think they are expecting a bit of a boom from November onwards  :mosking:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

*NEWS ANNOUNCEMENT*

I really wonder how many will attend this? Possibly the same people who were wandering around in two stores I visited this morning. I did note that the latest information is that pregnant women can't pass CoVid 19 onto their

babies...

Baz

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, Barry O said:

I really wonder how many will attend this? Possibly the same people who were wandering around in two stores I visited this morning. I did note that the latest information is that pregnant women can't pass CoVid 19 onto their

babies...

Baz

As previously discussed, trade shows are quieter then a busy toy train show. They will also be used to pre-booking and following the rules.

It's a start though, unless people prefer doom.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Irrespective of what's announced, someone's glass will be half empty. 

Rob. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Irrespective of what's announced, someone's glass will be half empty. 

Rob. 

Yes, but to a pessimist 'half empty' is great because it's 50% more than he feared.

Whereas, to an optimist 'half full' is very disappointing because it's 50% less than he was hoping for.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

As previously discussed, trade shows are quieter then a busy toy train show. They will also be used to pre-booking and following the rules.

It's a start though, unless people prefer doom.

And even though model train shows may still be some way down the line, many of the venues that model shows are held in are used for other events throughout the year, getting some of those events up and running again will hopefully mean the venues are still financially solvent when it's our turn to use them.

• Agree 2

I've just come off a video conference with a government minister. One of the topics of discussion, unsurprisingly, was restarting indoor events such as exhibitions and trade shows. The gist of it is that they're looking to start with events where it's possible to be effective on relatively limited numbers compared to maximum capacity - he talked about setting a kind of "population density" limit whereby there has to be so much square footage of floor space per person - and then gradually easing restrictions if that seems to work OK.

That would fit in with Phil's post about trade shows - these tend to have fewer visitors than a public show, so it will be easier to maintain spacing. And then we'll move on to public events that don't generate too much of a crush.

Where that leaves model railway exhibitions will, I think, depend a lot on local circumstances. A smaller show that can manage to wangle a bigger venue than normal - possibly because the venue operator is prepared to offer a discount to get business again - could fall beneath the population density threshold, although they'd still need some mechanism to limit numbers if necessary. But it's going to be harder for shows that can't spread themselves out more. The only way it would work there is to restrict attendance, which may well make it unprofitable. And, of course, even if you can space the layouts and traders out more, that doesn't help if the star layouts and the popular box shifters are still three deep at the barrier.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

5 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Yes, but to a pessimist 'half empty' is great because it's 50% more than he feared.

Whereas, to an optimist 'half full' is very disappointing because it's 50% less than he was hoping for.

Whereas to a realist:

image.png

Edited by BokStein
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

"....this will depend on the infection and death rates staying as they are."

Would this be the infection rate and death rate that are starting to climb again?  I play Badminton and the club can't put 4 people on a court because its to higher density of people and we would have clean the court before anyone else played.

Marc 

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Mattc6911 said:

I think they are expecting a bit of a boom from November onwards  :mosking:

They will be the generation known as "Covennials"

• RMweb Gold
On 17/03/2020 at 17:49, Gilbert said:

Given the development of a vaccine could take anything up to 18 months who knows what will happen in October....

As Chris accurately posted on 17th March and a BBC story from 23rd both saying 12-18 months. 

Vaccines - at least 12-18 months away

A vaccine should give someone immunity so they do not become sick if they are exposed.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51963486

and this week reports of 90 and 100 million doses ordered of the two main vaccines under development. 
The predicted timetable is looking realistic ;)  They’ve also said we will have it for years to come but it like flu that’s controllable as we learn more about treatments. 

So amidst the doom and gloom it appears we are on track after five months and later next year should be ok for shows if not a bit earlier if we are lucky. The cancellations for jan and feb are realistic on the timescale as they are now 6 months away and it just requires patience as realistically once a vaccine is in use it’s going to take around 6 months to spread that to all the population  :) 

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

so 17th March and a BBC story from 23rd both saying 12-18 months. 

Vaccines - at least 12-18 months away

A vaccine should give someone immunity so they do not become sick if they are exposed.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51963486

and this week reports of 90 and 100 million doses ordered of the two main vaccines under development. 
The predicted timetable is looking realistic ;)  They’ve also said we will have it for years to come but it like flu that’s controllable as we learn more about treatments. 

So amidst the doom and gloom it appears we are on track after five months and later next year should be ok for shows if not a bit earlier if we are lucky. The cancellations for jan and feb are realistic on the timescale as they are now 6 months away and it just requires patience as realistically once a vaccine is in use it’s going to take around 6 months to spread that to all the population  :) 

I was not being a doom monger - I simply said we could not predict what would happen.

However if the quote is being used to justify the label actually the information it contained could well be correct.

The 12 months quoted does not look unreasonable as best case using your dates.

Chris

• Friendly/supportive 1