Exhibition cancellations (not much to do with that anymore!)

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I was not being a doom monger

No you weren’t Chris :) I’ve modified that post to hopefully clear that up. 

- I simply said we could not predict what would happen.

However if the quote is being used to justify the label actually the information it contained could well be correct.

The 12 months quoted does not look unreasonable as best case using your dates.

Chris

, I was using your post because it gave the realistic timescale back in March that was widely quoted in the media. 
I was using your post as an example of facts we should bear in mind instead of doom laden speculation :) 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

No you weren’t Chris, I was using your post because it gave the realistic timescale back in March that was widely quoted in the media. 
I was using your post as an example of facts we should bear in mind instead of doom laden speculation :) 

12 months would be good Paul....

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

The solution is of course simple - and already being practised by some visitors.

No washing or changing your clothes for 2 weeks before a show. That way, no-one will want to be within 2 metres of anyone else...

As an added precaution, big rucksacks will become compulsory. :rolleyes:

Now, Now Phil

Don't give the grate(!) unwashed ideas :fie:

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 13:31, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Yes, but to a pessimist 'half empty' is great because it's 50% more than he feared.

Whereas, to an optimist 'half full' is very disappointing because it's 50% less than he was hoping for.

Or, as my old history teacher used to put it.

Pessimists mainly get nice surprises because almost everything turns out better than they expect, and almost nothing turns out worse. Optimists suffer the opposite.

Sounds like it should have come from 1066 And all That (of which he was a great fan) but I don't think it did.:jester:

John

• RMweb Gold

With regret the South Hants Model Railway Club has cancelled its show in Portsmouth on 21st November 2020.  All layouts  and  traders have been informed. We will hopefully be back in 2021, the layouts and traders for it are already in place. Keep safe let's hope we can all get back on the road in the new year.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

18 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Bother.  We're fixing to move house and having a clear out.  I looked at my Bergen* and decided I wouldn't need it again so I sent it to the local charity shop just before lockdown happened.  Looks like I'll need to go and buy it back...

*military name for a very large tardis like rucksack capable of concealing a 1/2 ton land rover

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

19 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

The solution is of course simple - and already being practised by some visitors.

No washing or changing your clothes for 2 weeks before a show. 

You under-estimate, I'm sure. Many of the festering stink-heaps who turn up at some of the shows must spend all year brewing up their revolting aromas, never mind two weeks.....

• Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
On 25/07/2020 at 14:39, Phil Parker said:

No washing or changing your clothes for 2 weeks before a show. That way, no-one will want to be within 2 metres of anyone else...

On 25/07/2020 at 18:44, BigMal said:

Now, Now Phil

Don't give the grate(!) unwashed ideas :fie:

10 hours ago, gr.king said:

You under-estimate, I'm sure. Many of the festering stink-heaps who turn up at some of the shows must spend all year brewing up their revolting aromas, never mind two weeks.....

For some reason, this stuff reminds me of a Punch cartoon - entitled "Good Advertisement" - which was later used to advertise Pears soap.

I believe this cartoon had a caption along the lines of: "Two years ago, I used your soap. Since then, I have used no other."

Hmmm ... .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 25/07/2020 at 07:38, PaulRhB said:

As Chris accurately posted on 17th March and a BBC story from 23rd both saying 12-18 months. 

Vaccines - at least 12-18 months away

A vaccine should give someone immunity so they do not become sick if they are exposed.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51963486

and this week reports of 90 and 100 million doses ordered of the two main vaccines under development. 
The predicted timetable is looking realistic ;)  They’ve also said we will have it for years to come but it like flu that’s controllable as we learn more about treatments. 

So amidst the doom and gloom it appears we are on track after five months and later next year should be ok for shows if not a bit earlier if we are lucky. The cancellations for jan and feb are realistic on the timescale as they are now 6 months away and it just requires patience as realistically once a vaccine is in use it’s going to take around 6 months to spread that to all the population  :) 

Equally there is no proof at this point that a vaccine will work and if immunity will last (long enough to cover enough people to have full herd immunity) either. If countries can get organised to keep Ro less than one for several months, we'll drive the virus out. However I observed immediately after deconfinement, 90% of people followed the rules. Several weeks later and its like 30% only follow the rules with many cases of "why should i?" resulting in R0 going back above 1 again.

Hospitals in my region are reporting an increase in Covid cases again only this time it is mostly young people!

Disapline, disapline and yet more disapline are required if we are to beat it. A show I was supposed to attend in April has been postponed to April next year and I'm not confident we will be able to go ahead even then.

That said one 62 year old I know and see regulary, who had the virus in April and did an antibody test in June had 6 times the required number of antibodies to fight off the decease. Doctors want her to have another test in a few months to see how it wanes over time.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

You could also make everyone buy a box of Peco streamline track as they enter, to be swung around your head as you walk around.this will ensure distancing along with the stink and bags and also help a British supplier in these difficult times

P S give us some warning though as I had a shower today and need time to build up a odour

Edited by Graham456
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Equally there is no proof at this point that a vaccine will work and if immunity will last (long enough to cover enough people to have full herd immunity) either. If countries can get organised to keep Ro less than one for several months, we'll drive the virus out. However I observed immediately after deconfinement, 90% of people followed the rules. Several weeks later and its like 30% only follow the rules with many cases of "why should i?" resulting in R0 going back above 1 again.

Hospitals in my region are reporting an increase in Covid cases again only this time it is mostly young people!

Disapline, disapline and yet more disapline are required if we are to beat it. A show I was supposed to attend in April has been postponed to April next year and I'm not confident we will be able to go ahead even then.

That said one 62 year old I know and see regulary, who had the virus in April and did an antibody test in June had 6 times the required number of antibodies to fight off the decease. Doctors want her to have another test in a few months to see how it wanes over time.

The harder we fight & longer we can maintain it, the sooner we can get back to normal.

Easing discipline now the infection rate has eased is the best way to prolong the semi-restriction we are working with now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Graham456 said:

You could also make everyone buy a box of Peco streamline track as they enter, to be swung around your head as you walk around.this will ensure distancing along with the stink and bags and also help a British supplier in these difficult times

I get the impression Peco will do just fine....rumour has it they are using every available space at Beer to meet the demand for their projects

17 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I get the impression Peco will do just fine....rumour has it they are using every available space at Beer to meet the demand for their projects

Yes, they've said so themselves on their Facebook feed - that's why Pecorama won't be opening this year.

It would be interesting to see some photos of the staff at work in their new workplaces - assembling track in a Pullman Coach must be a novel experience!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Huw Griffiths said:

For some reason, this stuff reminds me of a Punch cartoon - entitled "Good Advertisement" - which was later used to advertise Pears soap.

I believe this cartoon had a caption along the lines of: "Two years ago, I used your soap. Since then, I have used no other."

Hmmm ... .

This one...

images.jpeg.b2e0ef87116d86df615f7f5b47db41f8.jpeg

:lol: :good:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

And no sharing of cake.....:jester:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Gilbert said:

This is more to do with having to give the factory staff space to work while maintaining social distancing though.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Sorry, when was sharing of cake ever a thing?

You make it look like you’re generous but you actually just get more cake, which they refuse because they’re now full ;) 

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Too easy.....I knew that'd get your attention....:lol:

(Does any mention of the word "cake" on RMWeb set off a flashing light and sirens on your pc by any chance?)

• Agree 1
  • Funny 7

On 26/07/2020 at 10:17, gr.king said:

Know sweat: scientists solve mystery behind body odour

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jul/27/know-sweat-scientists-solve-mystery-behind-body-odour?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

• Round of applause 1

5 hours ago, Not Captain Kernow said:

This is more to do with having to give the factory staff space to work while maintaining social distancing though.

However, if there wasn't demand for their products, they wouldn't have so many staff in, and wouldn't need to spread out as much.

A lot of shops sold out of Peco products whilst the factory was closed, which suggests people have been using lockdown to build more layouts....

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

9 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

8 hours ago, polybear said:

Too easy.....I knew that'd get your attention....:lol:

(Does any mention of the word "cake" on RMWeb set off a flashing light and sirens on your pc by any chance?)

Please ... don't give him ideas!

Family issues meant I haven't been to any shows since "Warley" 2018 - a show that was rendered even more enjoyable due to a whole pack of Lidl stollen bites, in my backpack.

Nobody would have wanted this to be shared - well I certainly would not. Let's face it, 2 metres in front of a certain magazine stand sounds like an amazing place to eat lunch ... or perhaps not.

Joking aside, I wouldn't dream of carrying on like that - such a waste of good stollen ... .

Huw.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I thought ALL shows were cancelled for the time being, yet I have just seen a post on Facebook from someone who claims to have been at this show today. 

https://www.tinkerspark.com/home/model-railways-plus/

https://www.southdownnational.com/

"We have established that we have sufficient railway layouts, inside stalls and outside stalls, and buses on the Sunday for the event to take place under the new regime - although there will be fewer than usual in all these categories - and that the layouts and internal stalls will be accommodated in the exhibition hall, where  entrance and exit will be separate and a one-way system in place. There will be ample space for visitors between the various items, and all aspects of the show will be subject to a further review, to ensure that we are compliant in all areas.  Hand wash sanitation units will be in position around the site."

Edited by cessna152towser