Exhibition cancellations (not much to do with that anymore!)

AY Mod

Boris has announced a pause in reopening conference centres (and crowds at sporting events) - I guess that puts paid any physical exhibitions in the next 6 months, there was to be a GETS in Manchester in March which was only announced last month.

Of course nothing is concrete until the exhibitors confirm such cancellations and of course six months is a long time away.

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Mr.S.corn78 said:

he did say possibly for up to 6 months.

As you mention things my change as 6 months time is a while away.

6 months does only really cover the autumn and winter the expected worst period, through to 12 months from start of original lockdown in March. April could be an awkward month to open backup, depending on weather, how bad its been and vaccine success / delivery.

So Boris mentions closing of establishments at 10pm and a request to work from home - the selfish brigade look at that and cause a return to panic buying - with loo rolls again being bought in bulk.

Don't people learn, they didn't all get the sh*ts last time round, its the same virus so they won't get the sh*ts this time.

Shops did not shut first time around, no-one has placed any restriction on going to the shops or in fact of going anywhere (except parts of Wales) - you just shouldn't be out and about without good reason after 10pm at night.  It's hardly a massive restriction that will affect anyone going to the shops.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

you just shouldn't be out and about without good reason after 10pm at night

Not even that, I think.

Despite all the use of the word ‘curfew’, I don’t believe he announced one, did he?

I think a group of six, suitably distanced, could go all-night fishing together, for instance, although as a non-angler that doesn’t sound like a ‘good reason’ to miss a nights sleep to me.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Not even that, I think.

Despite all the use of the word ‘curfew’, I don’t believe he announced one, did he?

I think a group of six, suitably distanced, could go all-night fishing together, for instance, although as a non-angler that doesn’t sound like a ‘good reason’ to miss a nights sleep to me.

You're correct, though it depends where you live - here in Manchester it is enhanced restrictions and in parts of Wales you cannot travel without good reason.

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

the selfish brigade look at that and cause a return to panic buying - with loo rolls again being bought in bulk.

I'm alright.

If I run out of loo rolls I've got plenty of flour and dried pasta left off last time that I can use.

• Funny 6

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

So Boris mentions closing of establishments at 10pm and a request to work from home - the selfish brigade look at that and cause a return to panic buying - with loo rolls again being bought in bulk.

Don't people learn, they didn't all get the sh*ts last time round, its the same virus so they won't get the sh*ts this time.

Shops did not shut first time around, no-one has placed any restriction on going to the shops or in fact of going anywhere (except parts of Wales) - you just shouldn't be out and about without good reason after 10pm at night.  It's hardly a massive restriction that will affect anyone going to the shops.

No they don't.

Diarrhoea has never been one of the known symptoms. 

The reaction to the virus has proven that the majority of people cannot be bothered to think for themselves.:

When guidelines were recommended, many ignored them so they were made mandatory.

Once these became mandatory directives, the same people complained their freedom was being abused.

Another example of people not thinking is summer time.

It was introduced in 1916. Many preferred summer, so winter time was abolished in 1968.

It was re-introduced in 1970 so there was obviously something wrong with having 1 time zone all year round in the UK.

You would think we could learn this & accept it, yet many still whinge about winter time each October. I feel they just blame it for the shortened daylight hours & cold weather!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

No they don't.

Diarrhoea has never been one of the known symptoms. 

The reaction to the virus has proven that the majority of people cannot be bothered to think for themselves.:

When guidelines were recommended, many ignored them so they were made mandatory.

Once these became mandatory directives, the same people complained their freedom was being abused.

It was introduced in 1916. Many preferred summer, so winter time was abolished in 1968.

It was re-introduced in 1970 so there was obviously something wrong with having 1 time zone all year round in the UK.

You would think we could learn this & accept it, yet many still whinge about winter time each October. I feel they just blame it for the shortened daylight hours & cold weather!

Same is true of these new licensing hours. It is not that long since we had relaxed hours. Although some areas were 11pm closing many areas were 10:30 when I started going to the pub, therefore for many of us there is not that much change from what we were used to other than having to sit down to drink.

I can see the logic of go in with your mask on - sit down - mask off - stand to go for a pee so mask back on - back at table mask off -stand up to leave the pub so its's mask back on. In my regular local it is small so ordering will be no problem but how to do so in the much bigger ex-B Legion social club at the end of the street is anyone's guess as most of the tables will be out of line of site to the bar.

33 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I think with regards to 'summer time', some parts of the country got some benefit from the 1968/69 experiment, others got a great disbenefit.

Namely - in the south of England, where days are slightly longer in winter than they are in the North, people got slightly more useable daylight.

On the other hand, in the North of England (i.e. north of about Wolverhampton), the morning rush hour was plunged into darkness without it staying light for the evening rush hour. My father was working in power station turbine halls with no windows around that time. He would drive to work in the dark, have no view outside all day, and go home in the dark. He only saw daylight at weekends, and that only in good weather!

Part of the trouble of course is that that experiment was over fifty years ago so the number of people who remember it is getting fewer. 

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

.... The reaction to the virus has proven that the majority of people cannot be bothered to think for themselves.:

Once these became mandatory directives, the same people complained their freedom was being abused. ....

Do we want people to think for themselves or to follow the guidelines and obey mandatory directives? It's been said by commentators that the first lockdown was successful with a high rate of compliance because the message was clear and simple. It seemed like we were all pulling together, then a high profile advisor decided to a/ make a spurious visit to the parental estate and b/ visit a local beauty spot to check his eyesight. This wouldn't have damaged public compliance if he'd been properly censured by his employers but unfortunately they all lined up to say it was perfectly ok and justifiable. Yesterday a member of parliament  was pictured on a train to Paddington without a mask; apparently having 'forgotten' to put it on. There does seem to be a wilfully libertarian sector of society who seem to have trouble prioritising the common good which risks scuppering the actions of the public spirited. 

• Agree 9
  • Round of applause 1

2 minutes ago, john new said:

Same is true of these new licensing hours. It is not that long since we had relaxed hours. Although some areas were 11pm closing many areas were 10:30 when I started going to the pub, therefore for many of us there is not that much change from what we were used to other than having to sit down to drink.

I can see the logic of go in with your mask on - sit down - mask off - stand to go for a pee so mask back on - back at table mask off -stand up to leave the pub so its's mask back on. In my regular local it is small so ordering will be no problem but how to do so in the much bigger ex-B Legion social club at the end of the street is anyone's guess as most of the tables will be out of line of site to the bar.

Part of the issue here is there are different kinds of pubs.

The weekend the pubs reopened, I went for a walk in the countryside. On the way back, I came across a semi-rural pub with two picnic tables outside. One old guy sat on each table with a beer in their hand, chatting to each other at an appropriate distance and watching people go by - as it should be.

On the other hand a few days later I passed the 'Spoons in town - one of the few town centre pubs that was open. Consequently pretty much everyone who wanted a Friday night drink went there. I don't know what it was like inside, but there was a very long (socially distanced) queue outside.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Not even that, I think.

Lets re-write it in our language then?

I think a group of six, suitably distanced, could go all-night trainspotting together, for instance, although nowadays that doesn’t sound like a ‘good reason’ to miss a nights sleep to me.

Stewart :jester:

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

Well  during all this spring /summer good weather I have done all my little (and large) jobs in and around the house. Locked up again this winter with lots to do on the layouts. Twins off to an unknown second year at uni , one away and one traveling daily by train - both not yet quite knowing what to expect. Wife is an essential worker and has plodded on regardless throughout the year without a day off, bless her.

Off to the local at the top of the road tomorrow tea time for a couple of pints - probably my last for quite a while. It will be absolute bedlam in Wigan pubs this Friday - no wonder Boris is considering bringing in the Army !!

Model railway exhibitions ? - What were they ?

Brit15 

• Friendly/supportive 1

We certainly need something to sort this. A neighbour six doors up has just died this morning. Four paramedic vehicles plus an ambulance. They're still bringing bags of stuff out in clinical waste bags and cleaning off their own equipment etc.. A few distraught people - it's so awful for them.

Edited by Giles
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

When it happens at home, it all does become public in a way that must be really harrowing for the family - someone near to us was lost during the first peak, and there was effectively a hazmat operation and decontamination, conducted in public by a team of four in full protective suits and head-coverings, in the courtyard outside their house.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Giles said:

We certainly need something to sort this. A neighbour six doors up has just died this morning. Four paramedic vehicles plus an ambulance. They're still bringing bags of stuff out in clinical waste bags and cleaning off their own equipment etc.. A few distraught people - it's so awful for them.

Events like this certainly puts things into perspective.

For me and mine it's just follow the rules, masks, washing hands, social distancing etc. What more can we do, apart from keeping fingers crossed  ? Somehow life has to go on within the rules and guidelines.

Long winter ahead, not looking forward to it. Christmas, though not cancelled will no doubt be different.

Brit15

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Giles said:

We certainly need something to sort this.

I think the emphasis there needs to be the 'we'; I'll do what I can and I'm certain sure you will too and so will many others but there's evidently not enough 'we' going on out there. If I say any more I'll have to ban myself for 24 hours.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 8

20 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Good - you are one of the sensible types best of luck in getting that particular message over -  a pity you are on first name terms with the PM.

2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I think the emphasis there needs to be the 'we'; I'll do what I can and I'm certain sure you will too and so will many others but there's evidently not enough 'we' going on out there. If I say any more I'll have to ban myself for 24 hours.

A self-ban would be very original. You could give the reins to Phil for a day. I am sure he won't mind at all :blink:

Many seem to not care very much about spread prevention, possibly because they do not know anyone who has suffered. Others just seemed to get bored with the lockdown. It seems we can rely on these people to prolong the situation.

The sooner they change their attitude, the sooner we can get back to some sort of normality.

On 19/09/2020 at 15:03, ardbealach said:

On holiday in a cottage last week near Glenfinnan we went down to photograph The Jacobite.  Thinking we would have the place to ourselves for a picture of it on the viaduct, this was the sight that met us.  Social distancing eh?  (AM) 

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

From a photographical point of view it all looks a little bit pointless  - at least they're out in the fresh air - mind you if Covid doesn't get them the midges will.