The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Self isolation support group

Neil

Message added by AY Mod

Please keep this thread free of Coronavirus information or discussion, there are two other threads to go into details if one wishes to visit.

• RMweb Gold
On 20/03/2020 at 19:21, gordon s said:

Turn off social media and the TV, get out in the garden, go for a walk or focus on anything else. It won't change anything, but you'll feel a whole lot better.

That worked for me today.

The back garden got its first cut of 2020.  Weather permitting I'll get the front grass done soon.

20200322_155654.jpg

Edited by Colin_McLeod
To add picture.
  • Like 5

I was about to make a start on my Airfix Ford 3-litre GT kit but my good lady has purloined the dining room table for her jigsaw session.... :lol:.

Edit : I've just found another Airfix kit I'd forgotten about, the 'quckbuild' Bugatti Veyron she bought me last Christmas....!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Neil said:

I don't know what the provision is like in Wandsworth but have you tried alternatives to the supermarkets which might be a bit quieter? I'm thinking along the lines of wholefood or scoop shops. Again I don't know the state of play but how about arranging for deliveries either from the supermarkets or other suppliers. My very elderly mum gets ready meals delivered from a firm who mostly supply the elderly who have difficulty getting out to do their shopping.

Wiltshire Farm Foods are OK, have been going for ages and do a wide range of stuff. I tried them a few years back when I was struggling and SWMBO was still working her life away in the NHS. Good to have stuff you can freeze as a strategic reserve. There are other companies but I have no experience of them. There could be local stuff now as many pubs and cafes are doing a delivery service. Locally we even have a 'Butler' who is a lone caterer and he is advertising home cooked and delivered meals on the local FB page, but sadly he can't guarantee GF food due to his limited preparation area that he can't guarantee as not being 'contaminated'. Several other small producers are offering delivered, home cooked stuff for this period, as otherwise they will just go out of business as their café, pub and shop clients have dried up.

I would also recommend smaller stores as, although they are often a bit more expensive, they have good stuff. The little Coop I've mentioned is more expensive, but I get my Divvy and discount vouchers and I like the Coop ethos. 

So my final positive for today is the efforts of locals to offer home delivery; we even have Ice Cream Vans doing simple goods and old/less mobile/vulnerable in isolation folk know they are local when they hear the chimes; how's that for innovation?

Phil

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Thanks for the tip about the GF Yorkshires; SWMBO is great at helping sort out GF flours made up from various recipes, but we have never tried that for YP's. 

P

Jen cooked some GF Yorkshires using soda water and they rose better than the ones made with tap water.

• Informative/Useful 1

"Thanks for registering

Priority for our existing customers

We're very sorry but due to the exceptionally high level of demand we are temporarily prioritising deliveries for our existing customers. As a result, we are unable to offer you a delivery slot at the moment. Unfortunately, new customer bookings will not be processed.

We apologise for any disappointment. We are working hard to increase our delivery capacity and we will contact you as soon as the situation changes. Thank you for considering Ocado."

ok, giving up looking for now...I still have 2 large boxes of bran flakes left so plenty to keep me happy. :)

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

‘You fool, now she knows where you hide them........this social isolation must be affecting you more then you realise :lol:

Indeed, keep safe :good_mini:

I also found 3 untouched Slaters three axle Midland coaches, now how long were they in there. The bottom of my cupboard must be the setting for 'Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes', what else from the 80s is hiding there. If I dig any deeper I might find my 70s brown corduroy jacket that swmbo hated.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

I have cut the grass again and my next day off, weather permitting, will be to spray green paint on the shed, fence and the neighbours if they come too close!

I have also planted a load of seeds - carrots, spuds, onions, peas, spring onions, and beans.

If they all grow better (then my usual attempts) then we might get a couple of meals and a stew or tow out of them. (That reminds me, where are my rat traps!)

Kev.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Bulletin from Fortress 5050, Sunday 22 March.  Went for walk round estate, tidied up railway room (I can now see the floor!), recycled lots of odd magazines, sorted out boxes of odd bits of styrene, card etc. (never throw anything away that could come in useful), (literally) brushed off the HO american layout and did some running for the first time in many months.  It worked first time although one electric point needed a few throws to get the frog switching contacts cleaned up.  Decided to try and finish the Western Maryland chop-nose GP7 I started a l o n g time ago.  Watched some reruns of Marple etc. and discovered some flowers on the doorstep from our daughters for Mothers Day.  The delivery man had dropped them and run!  Oh, and we've got Skype up and running so between that and Messenger we'll be keeping in contact with daughters and grandkids (although they are grandadults these days!).

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

3 hours ago, Baby Deltic said:

noose.jpg

Can Mrs 5050 have the pattern please?  She's got miles of wool and is a really good knitter. 

I do believe she will also take on commissions if required.  Her rates are quite competitive.................

Edited by 5050
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, 5050 said:

Can Mrs 505 have the pattern please?  She's got miles of wool and is a really good knitter. 

I do believe she will also take on commissions if required.  Her rates are quite competitive.................

Be very careful making such offers. She may make you one!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Baby Deltic said:

Hang on... Where does that tube go?

Cockfosters...?

;)

Edit : as well as the Airfix Bugatti kit I've also unearthed the Lego Yellow Submarine that her indoors bought for me two Christmases ago...!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Have just seen (reputable) reports with photos of how a not insignificant number of people are treating this as a public bank holiday.

Frightening and depressing in equal measure.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, BoD said:

Have just seen (reputable) reports with photos of how a not insignificant number of people are treating this as a public bank holiday.

Sorry bod, this post is suspect?:D

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, BoD said:

Lots of corroborative evidence. Sadly, the good news that young people are at rather less risk has lessened their interest in hunkering down as recommended. This is not good for any of us. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Neil said:

If you enjoyed that you'll also like Orwell's, Down and Out in Paris and London, and Homage to Catalonia.

One of Orwells' books was serialised on R4 mornings a few weeks ago (or was it before Christmas?)

I'm also reading some books by  Stuart Maconie having read Long Road from Jarrow, just after Christmas.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, BoD said:

20 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Sorry bod, this post is suspect?:D

I don't think it is. All of us here will have worries or fears about the current situation and part of support has to be giving a space where we can express these concerns. If the thread ended up being bogged down in discussing the idiots continuing to mass then I'd agree. I'm sure that we'll encounter other difficult situations where what would be ideal for one compromises the other. There's no easy answer apart from recognising that we live in a far from perfect world, we can only do the best we can do and that none of us will be setting out to cause harm to a fellow. I'm cheered to see that we have already moved on to other topics.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1