The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Self isolation support group

Neil

Message added by AY Mod

Please keep this thread free of Coronavirus information or discussion, there are two other threads to go into details if one wishes to visit.

• RMweb Premium

I was just going to throw a wobbly and then I read to the end. That is quite startling. As my SWMBO just said, normally we have no idea how many people pass away in the Country other than relatives, friends, colleagues, neighbours or those mentioned in news items. A large amount of stress has just been released here when this statement shows that 'imagined probability' is reduced significantly. This makes the situation a lot more manageable in my head; thank-you.

Bless you all as Easter finishes by the way.

Phil

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 minute ago, Mallard60022 said:

I was just going to throw a wobbly and then I read to the end. That is quite startling. As my SWMBO just said, normally we have no idea how many people pass away in the Country other than relatives, friends, colleagues, neighbours or those mentioned in news items. A large amount of stress has just been released here when this statement shows that 'imagined probability' is reduced significantly. This makes the situation a lot more manageable in my head; thank-you.

Bless you all as Easter finishes by the way.

Phil

Yes. I was quite surprised too; as I assumed there would at least have been a 'spike' in the figures over the past 3 or 4 weeks. 

However, if you look at the 2020 graphs on that web page you will see that in January there were 12000 and 14000 deaths over weeks 1 and 2 this year. This means that currently the deaths are over 3000 per week less than they were at the beginning of the year. 

I realise that the figures are provisional. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Gentle reminder:

Screenshot_20200413-185037_Chrome.jpg.fffa0b33047a0070b55baa08cb45f43b.jpg

Normally I would agree with your comment Colin, however this is probably one of the most comforting items of 'positive' stats that I have seen or heard. I know it sounds weird but I am glad I have seen this here. There is now one other thread locked as Jonny said. Sorry.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Agree 3

Temp was +10 and my medical problem is healing so I was able to get out to do a round of Tai Chi today for the 1st time in a week.  Felt good.  Defiantly helps with the mental stress because for about 25 minutes you have to put everything else out of mind. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Normally I would agree with your comment Colin, however this is probably one of the most comforting items of 'positive' stats that I have seen or heard. I know it sounds weird but I am glad I have seen this here. There is now one other thread locked as Jonny said. Sorry.

Phil

Not wishing to put a downer on the subject but the report has now been updated for w/e 27 March and it doesn't make such good reading. Sorry.

Finding it difficult to isolate from my wife!

Edited by Killybegs
correction

• RMweb Premium

Chaps, while the intentions have been good, as Colin pointed out a little while ago this space has a different focus. There are other CV threads available for discussion. I would have thought that the recent stuff would have been a natural for the 'silver linings' one.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Bloody minded Ulsterman versus back fence weeds. I'm claiming a moral victory and the fence is now cleared and ready for painting. That can wait until tomorrow because my wonky knees are done for the day.

IMG_20200414_141731.jpg

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Fence now painted, inside and out. £30 eBay sprayer turned out to be a good job. My wife had already done the panel fences between us and the neighbours and both sheds with a brush, so that's the whole lot done. Next job is black masonry paint on the windowsills.

IMG_20200415_143819.jpg.d3ee914bb7b2bc61760d05c08fc53b05.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Here is a nice little link from an on-line Course I am doing.

https://www.bemindfulonline.com

here is an exercise that I did for the first time today. It is excellent for just grounding your self.

I hope it opens for you?

3-Step-Breathing-Space.pdf

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Had just about the perfect day today: slept in 'till 10:00 (first really good night's sleep in a while), had a 1 hour call with eldest daughter (nothing, but nothing seems to get her down, a total ray of sunshine and boundless positivity) finished the guttering and installed the glazing in the shed I've been building since October, had a play with the chainsaw (bags of noise, petrol fumes, exhaust and the potential for life-changing injuries - now that's my kind of gardening implement! ;^) ) and felled another sick willow (3 down, 4 to go)  then had massive bonfire with remains and sat watching the embers as the sun went down with a cool beer (or two) in hand....

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

here is an exercise that I did for the first time today. It is excellent for just grounding your self.

I hope it opens for you?

3-Step-Breathing-Space.pdf 277.18 kB · 2 downloads

£30 for the course?  That’s a half decent bottle of Malt........:D

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

£30 for the course?  That’s a half decent bottle of Malt........:D

If you are unfortunate enough to have Mental Health issues then Malt may not be that appropriate mate.

Just sayin'.

Phil

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I'm a Malt man myself. But there are some allegedly good "mindfulness" resources on the 'net available for free.

Yes there is but a good friend of mine recommended this and for the price of a more expensive Van/Wagon I have a professional NHS recommended Course that is there and the strategies remain for ever. I don't drink Whisky anyway, I much prefer Brandy.

There seems to be a bit of a take over of what was a great thread by slightly 'smirking' participants ,so I'm out of here.

Go well and be safe and thanks for the ride.

Phil

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

I hope it opens for you?

3-Step-Breathing-Space.pdf 277.18 kB · 3 downloads

Very similar to one of mine.  In for a count of 8, out for a count of 8 eyes closed focusing on where your nose tip should be.  It is interesting because when I get there I get what feels like a slight body temp drop and I start to see waves of colours.  Very peaceful.

Edited by Theakerr
spelling
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Yes there is but a good friend of mine recommended this and for the price of a more expensive Van/Wagon I have a professional NHS recommended Course that is there and the strategies remain for ever. I don't drink Whisky anyway, I much prefer Brandy.

There seems to be a bit of a take over of what was a great thread by slightly 'smirking' participants ,so I'm out of here.

Go well and be safe and thanks for the ride.

Phil

Phil, Ignore them and stay around.  Jim

• Agree 4