Replacing HO locomotive motor and cogs

Hi All, I wonder if anyone can help me please. Is it possible to replace the motor and cogs in the bogie shown below? I think it is a Jouef or Lima Class 40 - I only have part of the chassis as I cut that down to make my Sn42 Loco and the bit I cut out was probably the part with the makers name. The motor does not run well at all, when I can even get it to run. I am going to look at stripping it and cleaning then putting on some graphite dust which may help? I would be nicer though if i could get a new motor or cogs. Thanks Wayne

49666441738_9aa799d9dd_k.jpgIMG_20200316_190859 by Wayne, on Flickr

49666984211_e0da0b5cef_k.jpgIMG_20200316_190904 by Wayne, on Flickr

This motor is form a Mainline or Replica class 45. Sometimes on these models, the gears split and you will hear a clicking or banging sound. These motors are not the smoothest of runners even when in good order. The later generations of these models made by Bachmann have a motor centrally mounted in the body driving the wheels through drive shafts to each end. These are much smoother but you could only use the mechanism from one of them if you have room in the body for the motor. There have also been have been two distinct generations of these centrally driven models that are both different.

• Agree 1

Thanks mossdp, the cogs are OK but I think I may have found the problem, the armature is quite corroded as below - I will see if I can get a look at a Bachmann model, as you say I will either have to shorten the drive shafts or just power one bogie as I have cut about 40mm out of the chassis.

Wayne

49666494303_62804b6b19_k.jpgIMG_20200316_192757 by Wayne, on Flickr

5 hours ago, mossdp said:

I have seen that green on armatures before. I did wonder if it was some sort of glue put on when manufactured to keep the outer parts of the coils in place. It had not effect on performance where I have seen it.

Indeed, having stripped and cleaned the cogs, etc it is running fine with the green stuff on it. Not too smooth and struggles in slow speed but useable for now - Thanks