Best value for money models ever made

Jinty7109fan

• RMweb Premium

The title doesn't mention Hornby nor limit it to OO Gauge. 

So I'm going to nominate anything from Dapol in O Gauge. Especially The new Sentinel Y1/3 from GBP149, or 120 NQP at shows. 

Many people moving up to 7mm scale for this reason, they see OO as overpriced.

Dava

• Like 3

3 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

I think rather than re running the bargain hunters thread the OP was thinking of models which were/are good value at 'normal' rather than fire sale pricing. In which case I'd also nominate the Hornby Hall.

Indeed, best value at a normal retail for Hornby is the way I read the OP.

Much as I enjoy a bargain, and there are heaps of very cheap new Hornby models at shops like Kernow, and presumably Rails and others, I presume the intent was to judge value for money for new 'normal' pricing?

To be honest I think all the new 2020 models, W1, A2/2 and A2/3, and others at announced prices of around £180 are astonishingly good value given the complexity and high standards offered today in such as the new Princess. Every time I look at a Britannia or similar I think we are lucky, as I have said elsewhere, the two-page spread in the 2019 catalogue showing a Britannia and how many parts go into such a model, and someone has to design and produce these parts then paint and assemble them, then put up with the complaints from here!  :)

Another vote from me for the RR Hall at around £60, and the first run of weathered Crosti 9Fs was about £90 IIRC...   but with the latter you can buy a s/h Bachmann 9F on Ebay for about that....  so maybe not.

I personally like the R3168 RR Duke of Gloucester and R3171 P2 Cock o the North  but forget what these cost, around £80  and these are no longer available new?  I think some versions of the RR 4472 Flying Scotsman have cab window glass and are available at around £80 too.

So ignoring the various special offers around, the Hall comes in at best. Pity I don't find the prototype overly exciting! 

I don't think Hornby have produced anything truly value for money since the dropped the Dublo from the company name.  0-6-2T about 75p for 60 years of reliable service.   And Free NHS specs, the ones with rose tinted lenses.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

I think rather than re running the bargain hunters thread the OP was thinking of models which were/are good value at 'normal' rather than fire sale pricing. In which case I'd also nominate the Hornby Hall.

It's not very good though is it? I was merely pointing out that a far better model is available for a similar price if you look.

So we are discounting Bargain Bin purchases? How are you getting Hornby Halls then as it's not available apart from in Bargain Bins....

Jason

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, DavidCBroad said:

I don't think Hornby have produced anything truly value for money since the dropped the Dublo from the company name.  0-6-2T about 75p for 60 years of reliable service.   And Free NHS specs, the ones with rose tinted lenses.

I’ll see your HD 0-6-2T and raise you the original R52 Jinty; arguably closer to scale, better finished, 2-rail, and half the price of the die-cast HD effort.  Mine could be controlled down to a scale walking pace, slower if you didn’t mind cogging, and pull a house down.

A friend over the lane had 3-rail HD, and while his 0-6-2T could start and stop smoothly enough, and pull the house back up again, it could not be steadily controlled below about a scale 20 mph; HD were still thinking in terms of clockwork performance.  

There were dreadful toys from both camps, and no doubt in my mind that HD were better built dreadful toys, but never value for money until decently scale stuff like the Castles, D80xx, 8F etc came along.  The 8F’s rivets fascinated me and still do...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

It's not very good though is it?

No, I didn't think the Hall would be anything much to write home about either (Railroad branding plus Design Clever - was this Hall design clever? - doesn't lead you to expect very much, does it?).  However, picking it up and giving it the once over I was pleasantly surprised.  Very surprised.  When I put the Hornby and Bachmann Halls side by side, the Hornby one really didn't show itself in a bad light at all. 

Sure, it could of course be improved with a few bits of home-added detailing (which frankly would be lost on its young grandson owner and probably lost by him, too) but for the RRP - let alone some of the spectacular discounts, one of which I took advantage of to get one for the grandson - it was brilliant value for money.  Trouble is, I agree with robmcg: from my point of view it's a shame the prototype's not more exciting!  

Pete T.

• Like 1

Without wishing to denigrate it, all this thread really does is highlight that 'value for money' is impossible to calculate, unless one defines what 'value' is in an unambiguous manner, and since each of us values different qualities, to different degrees, even an unambiguous definition would be unique to the valuer.

Possible dimensions of value:

-  basic functional longevity (among UK producers Hornby Dublo in 00, and Bassett Lowke in 0 would probably beat all comers handsomely);

- dimensional fidelity to prototype (can anything 00 ever score more than 80%?);

- smooth operational performance across prototypical speed range;

- lights, bells and whistles (DCC fitted things are going to score highly here);

- scarcity;

- snob appeal;

- etc. etc.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Without wishing to denigrate it, all this thread really does is highlight that 'value for money' is impossible to calculate, unless one defines what 'value' is in an unambiguous manner, and since each of us values different qualities, to different degrees, even an unambiguous definition would be unique to the valuer.

Yes, you're dead right.  However, it's still fun suggesting models, or features or aspects of those models, that have pleased us to the extent that we felt we got exceptional value for money.  Even if we can't actually debate comparisons of those models' virtues because they're good value for money for several incomparable reasons.

And I suspect you mght agree with me that as a bit of very light and inconsequential entertainment it sure as hell beats watching the news at the moment.

Pete T.

• Agree 3

What about the Rivarossi GE U25C? Generally reckoned to be a very good model apart from the handrails , with the best shaped GE U series cab of the various manufacturers models. Never seemed to sell well and was possible to get very cheap 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Tri-ang Jinty for 39/6d. First British outline 00 loco I ever had. Still got it.......

Yes, still got mine, too.  Mine arrived on my 6th or 7th birthday and apart from having to glue buffers back on in the first few accident-strewn years of its life it's never needed any repairs since.  If the wheel flanges weren't too coarse for modern track it would still be doing service now on one or other of the layouts in the family.

The number '47606' will never mean anything other than Tri-ang Jinty to me, wherever I see it written! 

I've also still got Tri-ang's Brush Type 2 'D5572', my second loco all those years ago.  It still works (on code 100 track, at least) and doesn't need DCC sound; it has a very distinctive growl all of its own which I swear has got louder and louder over the years.

Pete T.

On 16/03/2020 at 21:14, Jinty7109fan said:

286838166_IMG_1401(2).JPG.381ba9e04b65ad9e14a1cca0db4a3013.JPGSo what is the best bargain model that Hornby made in your view?

I'll add my nominee, the Railroad Hall class.

3 or 4 years ago Hornby released the re-tooled Hall, Helmingham Hall, ( exGW Hall not B17), I thought the £57 Hattons were asking was a good deal, so much I had a second one.

• Agree 1

Hornby c1928; goodness knows how many careful owners; still going strong on nothing but minor maintenance.

One of the things I value in a loco like this is the very fact that is has history, the idea that multiple people have enjoyed playing with it.

For those concerned about prototype fidelity: there is no prototype. It is fitted with sound: a satisfying ratchety-Click as you wind it up, and a wonderful whir as it unwinds.

7B40ABE2-9E9E-4E0F-AAB6-FA92D2F82F9A.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 6

I would think things like the Triang Jinty, or their 0-4-0 tanks fall into this bracket, how many of these items still survive after being thrown around by children and still working even  with missing bits of bodywork, The Hornby Dublo R1 must also fit this category. I doubt if many modern items are as robust 

• Agree 1

The black R1 no 2206 was excellent value at £1. 16s. It came out in 1959 after I had been waiting for four years for Hornby Dublo to produce a Southern region locomotive. Not so keen on the malachite green no 2207. It had finer wheel standards than the Tri-ang Jinty and was more refined and looked great with the SD6 goods wagons. 

I first saw an illustration of it in the 1959 Hornby Dublo Book of Trains. It was Simon Kohler's first model locomotive and set him on his way to greater things.

Wills made a G6 white metal kit for the R1 chassis. I bought the kit 50 years ago but never got round to making it.