Virtual Exhibitions

Axlebox

So, the whole country is fast heading towards a total lock down that may last for weeks or even months...

It'll be months before we get to another show and the retailer/supplier side of our hobby is really going to suffer...

So why not set up a virtual exhibition!

It just needs someone with the IT skills to set up an interactive floor plan...just click on the layout and it takes you to a 5 minute video of that layout...or click on the retailer and it'll take you to their web page...Also, someone would need to co-ordinate the whole show...

Just a thought

A/box

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Tim V said:

Easier to get around, none of the usual 'problems' with your average show.

Yes, go for it - what's stopping you?

Hi Tim

I just come up with the ideas...sadly I'm useless with computery things!

... or... ask a family member to smack you in the face using a rucksack full of books.

Seriously... I think this is a good idea but perhaps it should have an element of liveness rather than being pre-recorded? - give the layout operators a deadline to work to and some pressure to get the operation right... plus the ability for punters and exhibitors to interact.

Just thinking aloud.

• Funny 2

NAAA you need the smell. Don't take a bath or shower a week before you "log" on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good idea though - add a few retailers as well - they need the support.

Brit15

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Lots of good stuff on YouTube including coverage of the recent Model Rail Scotland as an example . But lots more, some by contributors on here .  I take my hat of to them 

• RMweb Premium

Well, it's a good idea. I have no idea how to set up such a thing, particularly if it involved streaming live feeds.

With regard to live footage it would need some preparation. I think that good video streaming needs proper cameras and lighting with someone to do that side of things while others actually operate the layout, not something I know a lot about but I'm sure some folk on here could advise on specifics. 

I have seen something similar done on another forum, and it worked very well.  A special 'Zone' was created in the forum, just for the show. Everyone who was 'Exhibiting' would start a thread with the exhibit name as the thread title.  Videos, pictures etc were uploaded to the thread, and everyone could browse and add posts, a bit like how you might chat to the operator.  New content was often added throughout the day to keep the thread fresh.

Some people had pre recorded before uploading on the day.  However I believe it is possible to do live streams on Youtube now, so presumably you would just need a link in the thread to the live feed,

Edited by Titan
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

There’s a link to #TwitterModelTrainShow here for anyone that’s interested in joining in:

I’m planning to show a few updates on progress on my N gauge Swiss RhB layout ‘Muot’. 

good idea, something I have been thinking about for a few days, and I do have an IT background.

It might seem nice to have an 'all bells and whistles' system, but realistically better to start with something simpler, but more than a forum/facebook/twitter approach. I tend to look for simple plans, which if they work can be expanded. Some might find my approach a bit clunky but from experience I find it is better than spending too long planning something far too complex that eventually does not work properly.

• Agree 1

I'm a little sketchy on this. I've posted videos on YouTube and Facebook in the past but not Twitter.

As far as I can see the limit is just over 2 mins. Is that correct?

And maybe there is an option to put the video on YouTube and then publish a link via Twitter... or maybe there used to be an option to do this but now it has changed... depends what you read.

Has anybody actually done this and know what works and what doesn't?

Cheers.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, D869 said:

I'm a little sketchy on this. I've posted videos on YouTube and Facebook in the past but not Twitter.

As far as I can see the limit is just over 2 mins. Is that correct?

And maybe there is an option to put the video on YouTube and then publish a link via Twitter... or maybe there used to be an option to do this but now it has changed... depends what you read.

Has anybody actually done this and know what works and what doesn't?

Cheers.

From my experience you get better results posting video clips via the Twitter app than the Browser version. 

You could post a longer clip on YouTube and then link to it from a Tweet?

I would imagine there will be all sorts of approaches - rather similar to the world of railway modelling. 

My plan is to pre-record and edit some content and then potentially use Tweetdeck to schedule posting it. 

The most important thing will be to use the hashtag #TwitterModelTrainShow because that way your posts will be found and shared by the community. 

Hope this helps!

• Thanks 1

On 18/03/2020 at 13:57, Axlebox said:

So, the whole country is fast heading towards a total lock down that may last for weeks or even months...

It'll be months before we get to another show and the retailer/supplier side of our hobby is really going to suffer...

So why not set up a virtual exhibition!

It just needs someone with the IT skills to set up an interactive floor plan...just click on the layout and it takes you to a 5 minute video of that layout...or click on the retailer and it'll take you to their web page...Also, someone would need to co-ordinate the whole show...

Just a thought

A/box

Hang on there. This may catch on and make proper exhibitions redundant before they come back. Be careful about getting what you wish for! Having said that, we’ve set up a Facebook virtual club (Rochdale) so that we can keep in touch with each other’s musings and model-making. But The virtual pint in the pub is nowhere near as good.

15 hours ago, Nile said:

There are still traders with no web presence, they are a good reason to actually go to a show.

They are the ones I worry about. We can forego seeing layouts, etc but this is their living, sometimes their social life as well. I hope the old status quo returns.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1