Penicuik Co-Operative 4 Plank POW colour scheme

I would be grateful for any assistance regarding the colour scheme for the  Penicuik Co-Operative Association Ltd private owner stock.

I have purchased a photograph from HMRS (link https://hmrs.org.uk/photographs/penicuik-co-op-10t-4-plank-no-3-op-r3l-registered-nbr-1901-no-12757-photo-no-s-461.html ) and would like to model this wagon.

I am no good at working out colours from shades of grey and wondered if anyone knew what colours they were painted in.

HMRS records say it is a Hurst-Nelson  4 plank No. 3 [OP] R3L Registered NBR 1901 No.12757.

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

I'm sure there was a description of this (or similar) for this owner in the archive files from The Antiquarian Society.

These used to be kept by Midlothian Libraries in the local history section, but could not find them the last time I searched.

I will try again, but not sure when due to the current virus situation.

Possibly they have gone to National Libraries of Scotland in the last 3 years along with a lot of other local history stuff.

Thanks

Phil H

Hi, thanks. I guess if data isn't online or hasn't already  been researched quite a lot of projects will be slowing down at the moment.

I should have gone for the Peebles Loop and the Innerleithen Society. They purchased their wagons from R.Y. Pickerings and there are a number of posts about on the Pickering order book. I have found less about Hurst-Nelson  private owner wagons other than those which have already been published by folk like Powsides.

Regards

Paul

I don't know if this will be any help, but I understand that many traders (but by no means all) painted their wagons in a similar colour to those of the company which registered the wagon. If this was registered with the NBR, then I would guess that grey would be the most likely.

Don't let's get into which shade of grey!  :nono:   That would depend on the mix that was made up that day!

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

A few bits of info I already am aware of.

Penicuik Cooperative Association archive.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/c/F182811

Wagon builders archives...

Hurst Nelson archive is now with a museum in Glasgow but not currently available.

Extract from it though. is available online.

https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/search/archives/b299abfc-598d-3be8-92df-c6fc8ff0dc9e

The nearest Hurt Nelson 4 plank that I found is shown here:

https://colonelstephenssociety.co.uk/light railway modelling/light railway modelling rvr.html

I've used the Cambrian Hurst Nelson 5 plank kit as a basis for the 2 models of this wagon that I built.

This was as a result of the research I did which indicated that it was the most common wagon type sold to private owners including several Co-op's.

I chose to make it a grey wagon with white lettering and black iron work. No one queried whether or not I had the right wagon!

Thanks

Phil H

• Like 1

Hi, Thanks.  The Innerleithen Co-op wagons were also NBR registered but ordered in Brown Bauxite so I will probably hold fire on this project if there is more definitive data out there, albeit currently out of reach. One other interesting thing about the Innerleithen wagons is the when empty plates which were return to Leven Colliery Fife. I am not sure what was special about the coal from the Kingdom which got them to haul it through most of the Midlothian coal field. The pits at Rosewell would have been visible from the train.

Regards 

Paul

• Like 1