Bachmann class 46

1 minute ago, Jack Parkin said:

I have tried removing the Loco body after undoing the 4 small screws but I am frightened of cracking it as I lever the sides out. Any advice out there please? 

Are there two small screws under the front of each bogie???

Charlie

I tried looking at my Class 45 (45120) to see if there was any advice I could offer as I've certainly had the body off that. It was preowned though, so no instructions so I guess I would have gone with my normal approach.

Once you're sure all the screws are removed (swing the bogies from side to side to make sure there are none hidden), gently ease the bodyshell away from the chassis with your finger nails. The clips are normally near the ends (often under the drivers door or cab) but it is normally easier to start in the middle. As soon as you have a gap, slide in a piece of card - I normally use whatever happens to be in the recycling bin or lying around but the thickness of a business card seems to work. Once you've done that on one side, do it on the other, then work along the body using the gap to open a little further along adding more card until you get to where the clips are.

By this time, there should be sufficient play to remove the body. Don't be tempted to jam anything sharp or metal in there as that could well cause damage.

Once the body is off, a stiff drink may help calm the nerves.

And last of all - remember the words from the Bachmann instructions - "The model should be handled carefully as it has many finely detailed parts" - so why made the thing so complicated to dismantle?!!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Yeah I tried to get body off my 45 . As well as the 4 big screws  there are two very little screws right at the front above the coupling . These are an absolute b*gg*r to remove .  When I did it back up I really struggled to get them back , so I eventually left them off . What I found , however, is that the front lights , tail lights sometimes don’t work, so I suspect the tightening of that screw helps . Not the easiest of models to maintain it has to be said ! 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Jack Parkin said:

Roy it is 32700

If I recall correctly that us of an age where there are two sets of screws. One set hold the plastic underside to the metal chassis and the other set go right through into the body. 

I will try to get one out loft later and work out what does what. 

Roy

Hello,  

It should indeed be just the 2 screws.

i do find Bronsgrove Models DCC fitting guides excellent and really useful in showing how to get into most models

https://clarahost.clara.net/www.bromsgrovemodels.co.uk/bachmann44dccinstr.htm

Stephen

Hi I have checked the Bromsgrove models guide and the 2 screws it illustrates are not there but the holes are. The are 4 short screws at the front end of both sides of the bogies and these are the only visible fixings. Is this an adaptation of the fixing?

Edited by Jack Parkin
missing words

Hi I have checked the Bromsgrove models guide and the 2 screws it illustrates are not there but the holes are. The are 4 short screws at the front end of both bogies and these are the only visible fixings. Is this an adaptation of the fixing?

I have just put a torch to the holes and I can see screwheads - very small - at the bottom of these holes............ Unscrewed now and the body is off!! Thank you to all who have thought about this and offered help. I feel a fraud,. but thanks.

I've just found this, rather unhelpfully late I'm afraid!

The original "Peaks" only had  two side screws, offset from the centre. Later ones got the nose screws as well, as think this is because these have the light fittings that otherwise pull the chassis down in the nose area, so it needs to be fastened to the body directly here as well.

When you put it back together again, it's best to put all the screws back without fully tightening. Check the body sits level and then fully tighten. As with all Bachmann models, don't overtighten the screws or the threads will break, as the screws only go into plastic this is easily done.

John.

• Thanks 1