April 2020 BRM

Howard Smith

• Moderators

We're living in strange times folks. As I write this, our office is eerily quiet - only a white noise background hum from the server fans adjacent for company. It's only a matter of time before we'll be out of the other side of this. Whilst many will be at home wondering what to do with their newly-discovered spare time, we've a hobby and a passion that we can look forward to and treasure. It's a hobby that can be done from home too. Celebrating all that's great about our hobby and providing escapism from the crazy outside world is our April issue of BRM, on-sale tomorrow from www.pocketmags.com/brm

Inside this 164-page issue are five layouts, with enough practical articles to entertain and satisfy your monthly cravings for modelling ideas. There's plenty of ideas to enhance what you already have, or ideas for adding new elements to your layout. Here's what's inside:

Includes 30+ min episode of BRM TV featuring 'Bodmin', model building upgrades and how to enhance road signs and paved surfaces:

1405881052_BRM_DVD_Jacket_Aprilnew.jpg.89bf8dc3d7fba43d3f9815ee8b277b26.jpg

In this issue of BRM, we explore a 40-year-old P4 layout that has survived decay and a flash flood, yet still pleases fans of the GWR: 'Bodmin'.

cover.jpg.b0ee165351601ee80e5a11309dd1ae81.jpg

Plus, Oldmarket (OO), Upper Oreful Street (OO), Arun Quay (O) and Aviemore (N) raise the number of layouts this issue to five.

1625856587_ArunQuay08.jpg.4d4ad0540086409b18c9281348e9346c.jpg

Practical BRM this month brings you ideas to:

Recreate a bustling high street - working miniature train set in shop window included!

642613985_shopfronts.jpg.dba35b391df2219c38baccd9091bff20.jpg

Automate Dapol's semaphore signals

2057443239_automatelayoutsignals.jpg.26e868f161ec67e2e7c1ebe74fae279f.jpg

Wire a double-slip

1360173286_Wireadoubleslip.jpg.3b526e8ad4b6e61f4f92261cdd91ebfe.jpg

Add lights and sound to a Ruston 48DS

ruston.jpg.7d72d6a500fd276765f671aef9da001d.jpg

Create paved surfaces

1481160161_runcornsaltroads.jpg.1ca04093ba3ea50b0e5cab5dd3a7e28f.jpg

Design a control panel

1276701937_controlpanel.jpg.13e37151f310211e73ac50183fa18ca3.jpg

Plus, reviews include:

Bachmann's OO gauge Class 121

121.jpg.927c69f496024753ab5af2a5c8ca051b.jpg

Graham Farish's N gauge Class 70/8

70.jpg.a9e8972a02c1b28fe9d6914843e0d44e.jpg

and Dapol's OO gauge GWR railcar and Class 29

railcar.jpg.e523bf001ba5c672667f20be092f149b.jpg

29.jpg.687d9de5da2f12543cbf16eff05b9e72.jpg

We'd urge you to stay safe during these unprecedented (during our lifetime) times - downloading the digital edition from the comfort of your own home is the safest way if you fall into one of the 'at risk' categories.

Stay safe and happy modelling,

Howard

• Like 6

Looks like a great issue, Howard. I usually buy BRM on my occasional sojourns to the Sceptred Isle but won't be back until May. Perhaps there'll be remaining stock in WHS still! ;)

• Moderators
1 hour ago, truffy said:

Looks like a great issue, Howard. I usually buy BRM on my occasional sojourns to the Sceptred Isle but won't be back until May. Perhaps there'll be remaining stock in WHS still! ;)

Thanks, but it's a team effort as always. If you struggle getting hold of a copy, you can always get one digitally, or subscribe and get it to your door...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm not a great fan of digital, much preferring the physical article to read, but in the current circumstances to avoid a visit to shops , always assuming its not shut, I might go digital this month just to see .  Can you download just one issue ie no need for subscription?

• Agree 1

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, Legend said:

Can you download just one issue ie no need for subscription?

You can certainly buy as an when through Pocketmags and you get the print and DVD content plus additional layout images.

https://pocketmags.com/british-railway-modelling-magazine?utm_source=wor&utm_medium=website&utm_campaign=warnersgroup#5243f79396678

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy . Have really enjoyed the last few issues of the actual magazine . I suppose nows the time to dip my toe in digitally! Good option to have in the circumstances

Edited by Legend

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Dan Randall said:

I assume availability from yesterday via Pocketmags applies to the digital version?  If so, when will the printed version be available in the shops please?

Thursday. Subs copies will be in the post before that.

• Like 3

• Administrators

Hi all,

Due to the current restrictions on leaving your house and with WHSmiths temporarily closing 60% of its stores, it's not easy getting hold of BRM (and our other titles). 

But, you can buy it direct from our website with free UK postage: https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/Store/Back-Issues/british-railway-modelling

We also have many subscriptions offers which are being regularly sent via email. If you're not getting these emails and want to consider a subscription (both print and digital) please message me direct.

Stay safe everyone,

Steve 

• RMweb Premium

Another fine issue but can I ask why when it was not available in shops until 26th March and I got my subscription copy on 24th March you had adverts and write ups for an exhibition that was due to be on 21st and 22nd March?

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Another fine issue but can I ask why when it was not available in shops until 26th March and I got my subscription copy on 24th March you had adverts and write ups for an exhibition that was due to be on 21st and 22nd March?

Hi Chris, had Ally Pally gone ahead the magazine would have been on sale at the show. The mag contents were completed a couple of weeks before the event when the world looked very, very different. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Hi Chris, had Ally Pally gone ahead the magazine would have been on sale at the show. The mag contents were completed a couple of weeks before the event when the world looked very, very different. 

I fully understand that the current situation was not in anyone's plans but even with the magazine being on sale at the show I still don't understand why when it was not due on the shop shelves or to subscribers until nearly a week later you would preach to those at the show. I am not saying you got it wrong, just I do not understand the logic. As I said in my original post, another good issue and once I have watched all the country concerts that are streaming I must get around to watching the BRM DVD. Best wishes to all at BRM, it must be even harder producing the magazine in the current situation. 

Edited by Chris116
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
On 27/03/2020 at 23:49, Chris116 said:

I fully understand that the current situation was not in anyone's plans but even with the magazine being on sale at the show I still don't understand why when it was not due on the shop shelves or to subscribers until nearly a week later you would preach to those at the show. I am not saying you got it wrong, just I do not understand the logic. As I said in my original post, another good issue and once I have watched all the country concerts that are streaming I must get around to watching the BRM DVD. Best wishes to all at BRM, it must be even harder producing the magazine in the current situation. 

Hi Chris,

It was aimed mostly at digital subscribers who get their copies earlier than the printed copies (but we were aware we were cutting it fine...) Yes, it's odd, though thankfully, we have the tech to enable us to communicate and put out a magazine. Imagine if this had happened 20 (or even 15) years ago!

H

• Administrators
45 minutes ago, pharrc20 said:

Looking on https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/Store/Back-Issues/british-railway-modelling there does not appear to be an option at present to buy a paper copy of the April 2020 but there is for the previous Spring 2020 edition, which I already have. Any ideas?

Thanks Paul

Hi Paul,

Let me check why that is. I'll come back to you.

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pharrc20 said:

Looking on https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/Store/Back-Issues/british-railway-modelling there does not appear to be an option at present to buy a paper copy of the April 2020 but there is for the previous Spring 2020 edition, which I already have. Any ideas?

Thanks Paul

Here's a link. I found it last night.

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/store/back-issues/british-railway-modelling/british-railway-modelling-april-2020-issue-189

Jason

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, pharrc20 said:

Thanks Paul

Sorted, you can now buy online. Sorry for the mix up. We thought we had sold out of the April such is recent demand but we've actually got about 300 kicking about due to the Ally Pally Show being postponed!

Did you know that for an extra 25p you could subscribe and get the next two issues as well? After this the subscription goes to a Direct Debit but there is no minimum term. Of course, we hope you love the magazine and continue wanting it, but if you don't you can cancel with ease. Click here to see the offer.

• Like 1

On 31/03/2020 at 14:49, SteveCole said:

Sorted, you can now buy online. Sorry for the mix up. We thought we had sold out of the April such is recent demand but we've actually got about 300 kicking about due to the Ally Pally Show being postponed!

Did you know that for an extra 25p you could subscribe and get the next two issues as well? After this the subscription goes to a Direct Debit but there is no minimum term. Of course, we hope you love the magazine and continue wanting it, but if you don't you can cancel with ease. Click here to see the offer.

Thanks Steve for the info

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 10/04/2020 at 23:39, Tony_S said:

Hi.

Are some subscriber copies still perhaps delayed? I am happy to wait if there are known distribution problems or should I assume it has gone missing by now.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Has anything turned up, yet? If not, please let me find out and get back to you.

Howard

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/04/2020 at 11:28, Howard Smith said:

Hi Tony,

Has anything turned up, yet? If not, please let me find out and get back to you.

Howard

It hasn’t turned up yet and as there was something I particularly wanted to read I thought I would try a download edition (successfully purchased)  as I am currently confined to the house! Thank you for the offer of help, much appreciated.

Very best wishes

Tony

Edited by Tony_S