Docks away!, or, making a virtue out of a necessity . . .

Booking Hall

8 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Strangely enough, I did just that earlier today but they didn’t have anything suitable!!

Hi Steve, I should really have added the comment that I didn't get mine from B&Q after all, as the corrugations on the ones they had were too far apart and coarse. I eventually tracked a suitable one down at my local Ironmongers. Sorry for sending you on a wild goose chase!

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi @Booking Hall. I have read right through your topic over the last few days and have enjoyed it very much. Your use of materials and the creation on the wall lights put me in mind of the Westerham layout by @westerhamstation.

I am also a child of the Blue Peter era (John Noakes, Valerie Singleton & Peter Purvis) :D.

I will look forward to reading more updates on your layout.

Best regards

John 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Booking Hall said:

Sorry for sending you on a wild goose chase

I was there already on a wild goose chase of another sort! (Why, in the name of sanity, have they made selecting the correct lightbulb so bl@@dy difficult?!!)

Steve S

• Funny 1

Not much done this weekend, just a manual lifting barrier to restrict access to the oil depot area. Made from a piece of welding rod with a piece of brass turned to fit as the counterweight, plastic 'I' section for the uprights and a bit of wire soldered on as the pivot arm.

337.JPG

338.JPG

Edited by Booking Hall
reinstate photos
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

5 hours ago, Booking Hall said:

Made from a piece of welding rod with a piece of brass turned to fit as the counterweight, plastic 'I' section for the uprights and a bit of wire soldered on as the pivot arm.

Note for anyone also making one this way, make sure you have sufficient length between the pivot and counterweight, or else make that part of the arm cranked upwards, otherwise it won't  go adequately vertical before the weight hits the support uprights - like mine!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 1 month later...

Nice to see your layout popping up on FaceBook groups! Every time I see your refined Triang Dock Shunter, it reminds me I have both an unfinished yellow "low bonnet" version and a fresh untouched version to complete/renovate... someone mentioned Airfix class 31 wheels as being suitable replacements for the steam roller wheels of the original - best get my eBay search on!

Steve S

• Like 1

On 06/08/2021 at 02:28, SteveyDee68 said:

Nice to see your layout popping up on FaceBook groups! Every time I see your refined Triang Dock Shunter, it reminds me I have both an unfinished yellow "low bonnet" version and a fresh untouched version to complete/renovate... someone mentioned Airfix class 31 wheels as being suitable replacements for the steam roller wheels of the original - best get my eBay search on!

Steve S

Thanks Steve. I hadn't heard of the dodge of using Cl. 31 wheels. You'll have to let me know how you get on, although I do have an Airfix class 31 so I could just see if they fit. Anyway, your comment made me get back into my model railway room and 'do a bit', so thanks!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

It's been a while since I did anything to the layout, but the fine warm weather we had tempted me elsewhere, however it's raining again now so time to resume building! 

The next stage is to complete the oil terminal so the tank had to be detailed before it can be fixed down, then the oil pipelines and hoses can be added. The tank itself has been made for some time (from a baked bean tin covered with the silver foil I stripped from the insulation which formed the baseboard for the layout, scribed to simulate the panels forming the tank). What was missing was handrails, delivery and discharge pipe and valve, a manhole, vent and access ladder. I'm not that well versed in the bits and bobs associated with these type of tank, but those seemed to me to be a minimum requirement and frankly, there isn't really room for much more!

The ladder and handrails are Scale Model Scenery laser cut items. The pipework is brazing rod and the manhole is a bit of tube with a circle of card for the top. The bolts are tiny squares of 0.030x0.030 plasticard microstrip, all are painted with a mix of aluminium paint and terracotta. Hopefully weathering will reduce the shine a little to match the rest of the tank.

350.JPG

351.JPG

355.JPG

358.JPG

Edited by Booking Hall
reinstate photos
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul, thanks for asking after me. All fine here. I hope that you're now fully recovered after your brush with COVID. I'm afraid I've been slacking as far as railway modelling is concerned, so not much to show, but I did more or less complete the Oil Depot. It still needs a few more details and then I can move on to another area to finish. I may be asked to exhibit it at a local show in November (if it goes ahead) so if the call comes through that might provide the impetus to actually finish it!

359.JPG

360.JPG

361.JPG

Edited by Booking Hall
reinstate photos
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 4 weeks later...

A little bit more landscaping has been done around the oil siding and loco siding. This is mostly sieved Chinchilla dust splodged with a runny mix of brown and black acrylic paint. The ash piles are just that - real coal fire ash! Some short fibre static grass is patchily scattered around to blend out the junction between the ballast/ash/bare earth and the concrete.

362.JPG

363.JPG

364.JPG

Edited by Booking Hall
reinstate photos
  • Like 14

• 2 months later...
28 minutes ago, CameronL said:

It's a bit of fun, but congratulations. You're the first recipient of an RMWeb Blue Peter Award.

Best wishes

Cam

Seconded!!

Can multiple badges be awarded? If so, then @Booking Hall deserves them, as there are so many examples of “Blue Peter” ingenuity throughout the thread!

Steve S

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Seconded!!

Can multiple badges be awarded? If so, then @Booking Hall deserves them, as there are so many examples of “Blue Peter” ingenuity throughout the thread!

Steve S

Maybe we need a gold badge as well. If you can think of any more deserving members keep 'em coming.

Cam

Edited by CameronL

• 9 months later...

Well, it's been nearly a year since I last posted anything about Broad Haven, simply because there's been no progress with it at all. But I thought it was time to blow the dust off and finish it, and the possibility of a last minute request to show it at our annual exhibition in November had everything to do with it!!

So, I took a long, hard look at what needed to be done, made a mental list, and started by weathering the edges of each concrete panel in the hardstanding. So far I've done about 50%. After that's done, I'll get the airbrush out and weather around and between the railway tracks with an oily/ashy/rusty sort of colour.

001.JPG

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely wonderful to see you posting again Paul and to see that the layout is to be continued. You know how inspiring I find your work from my (continuing) poor imitation of Brierley Canal Road so I’m looking forward to see what you get up to over the next few weeks. 
Cheers, Andrew. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Today the mooring bollards and anchor have been added and weathered, the prints made for the Scalescenes fishing boat and a start made on cutting out the parts. I think I explained this earlier on in this thread, but the bollards are home-made from brass bar turned to shape on my lathe and glued to a square of thick card. Tiny sections of plastic rod represent the holding down bolts.

005.JPG

004.JPG

002.JPG

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

A couple of days working on the fishing boat have resulted in a basic hull, but I didn't realise that it was almost the same size as the puffer, and I'm beginning to think it might be too large and will overcrowd the limited space available. 

I've sketched out the plan of the Scalescenes small fishing boat, which might be a better visual balance in the dock area. Any thoughts please?

002.JPG

001.JPG

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
On 08/10/2022 at 20:51, Booking Hall said:

….I think I explained this earlier on in this thread, but the bollards are home-made from brass bar turned to shape on my lathe and glued to a square of thick card. Tiny sections of plastic rod represent the holding down bolts.….

this is going to sound very wrong but your bollards are very impressive

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1