Ground signals, is this overkill?

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, RailWest said:

AFAIK in general the idea of a LoS board was to provide a 'signal' to terminate a wrong-direction movement in places where otherwise no working signal would have been required.

The use of LoS boards is a fascinating area as they weren't exactly widespread in relation to the number of locations (almost everywhere!) where a setting back move could be made into a block section and equally of course they weren't used on single lines where again setting back/shunting movements into a block section were commonplace.

I get the impression - albeit based on the Western's approach - that they tended to be found at busy places where a lot of shunt moves towards or into a block section took place.  And even then there might have been no LoS board for many years and then one appeared while other changes were being made.  For most modelled locations -  which are really no more than small stations, and with the possible exception of a busy - small - urban terminus the preseence of an LoD S board would be unusual.  But there were differences in approach between the Companies/BR Regions and there could be local considerations which sometimes might lead to one being provided.  

But for a modern colour light signalled layout they are far more common where shunts regularly take place.

Edited by The Stationmaster
Oh dear, thanks to Reorte my boob of a typo has been corrected

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

The use of LoS boards is a fascinating area .....they weren't used on single lines where again setting back/shunting movements into a block section were commonplace.

<pedantry on>

To be more precise, they were not used on the actual bi-directional single line itself, but some did exist on the actual loop line at passing-loops on single-line branches, as of course the loop was effectively double-track with uni-directional lines. There was an example at Budleigh Salterton, see https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/srq/S3490.htm . 

<pedantry off>

Edited by RailWest
  • Like 1

Thank you all :) this conversation is fascinating! 

it all sounds a bit like algebra to me for the first time -but I’m sure after tinkering and having fun, I’ll get a gist for it. 

I guess this is what many people spent many hard hours studying - in order to work it in real life. 

I’m just very eager to have a playful, colourful and vibrant layout as real as plausible - and all this is invaluable :)