Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Should we be using mail order right now?

Mail order model railway items or not during Covid-19?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Is it most socially responsible to continue to mail order model railway stuff during Covid-19, or to stop?

• On balance, it is better to stop, because that helps social-distancing, and frees-up capacity for more important things to be moved about
    • On balance, it is better to continue, because that helps people stay employed, keeps commerce flowing etc.
    • On balance, it is better to continue, because my mental health will crumble while I'm isolated if I can't get model railway stuff
    • This is a stupid question: you either shouldn't have asked it, or should have asked a different question altogether.
    • None of the above.

Sparked by a discussion in another thread about a particularly good and in-expensive model supplied from France ...........

What do member, especially postal and courier-service personnel who are members, think about mail-ordering right now, given the Covid situation?

I'm not thinking about the risk of bug transfer, against which precautions can be taken, but about whether ordering our toys by mail order is:

- a good use of resources right now;

- a way of keeping people employed who might otherwise be at risk of un-employment;

- placing a burden on systems that are likely to become overloaded as staff suffer illness or have to self-isolate, thereby getting in the way of more important, near-essential things in the system;

- causing ebay sellers to visit post-offices, increasing 'social contact' exposure just when it isn't needed;

- etc.

In short: what is the socially-responsible thing to do, cease mail ordering, or continue mail ordering?

I've added a poll, including the option to give the 'off-piste' answers that a small percentage of respondents always want to give in any poll ......... 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

I've added a poll, including the option to give the 'off-piste' answers that a small percentage of respondents always want to give in any poll ......... 

Its very hard to write watertight questions for something like this.

Phil's response re traders is absolutely right - with no shows or foot fall in shows how else are they to survive? Equally my mental health is supported by completion of modelling projects - which require bits and pieces.

But these views can only hold sway if the delivery system continues to function.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

If folk are going to self isolate, the need things to DO to keep them occupied and try and keep the temptation to go out and seek the physical company humans are genetically wired to want to experience.

As such, the ability to continue to have stuff delivered - even 'non essentials' is very important to the Governments strategy.

Providing both senders, receivers and those in the postal system keep washing their hands regularly then the risks of anyone catching anything will be minimised.

• Agree 4

I agree with Phil; use the traders if you can, they need your continued support at this time. And working on a layout is a good way to keep your sanity when in enforced isolation.

Most small traders use Royal Mail rather than courier services, so although deliveries may possibly take a bit longer in some cases it isn't going to put significant pressure on the delivery network.

As far as transmitting infection via the post is concerned, current evidence is that Covid-19 can survive on paper and cardboard for for up to 24 hours and on smooth surfaces (eg, plastic and metal) for up to three days. So it is wise to disinfect packages when received, or, possibly, just leave them untouched and unopened for a few days to be certain. See this BBC Future article for some background on that:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200317-covid-19-how-long-does-the-coronavirus-last-on-surfaces

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

As an ebay seller (private, not a business, and hardly any model railway items) I'd rather keep going to the post office, as selling my stuff augments my pension. I have to shop anyway so it's all one trip.  As for buying railway stuff, there's nothing I need (as opposed to "would like") ATM.

• RMweb Premium

Spooky coincidence, I've just clicked on my e-mail to find one from Royal Mail. They have posted guidance on mail and the Coronavirus risk here. If you're still a bit twitchy about the risks then I suggest you do as I have done and have a 'quarantine box' in the hall or other convenient space (not the kitchen I'd suggest) into which you can dump all stuff that you think needs to wait a while or be cleaned/disinfected.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Ian Morgan said:

International mail is likely to be delayed or curtailed as the number of flights reduces, and some countries close their borders.

Surely if more freight is around, the airlines will want to provide a service, to keep as many planes as possible in the air. Like everything, it depends on the sums.

• Like 1

Keep posting away unless they officially tell you not to.

I can assure you that urgent medical supplies won't be going through the normal post. They would be processed separately.

I worked for Royal Mail for nearly twenty years and many of us were trained for such scenarios including things like chemical attacks.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

An interesting one... I'd have hoped that priority postage would be marked, and prioritised clearly.  I'd hate to think that me getting a toy train means the box of facemasks for the local A&E is left at the depot, but I'd hope the system would be a bit more organised.

My biggest concern is financial; I'd absolutely love to order a few bits and pieces for model-making, but my wife works in a school as a technician, I'm a foster carer (as well as a freelance photographer).... neither of us have received any guarantee about wages, and so we're twitchy about spending any money in case our income just stops, because we damned well know the bills won't...  Right now my railway modelling is an excuse in using up what I've got, and sacrificing some stuff for the kids to build/use/play with.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Surely if more freight is around, the airlines will want to provide a service, to keep as many planes as possible in the air. Like everything, it depends on the sums.

I think this is very much the way forward, at least near term.  I work for an airline and in the absence of passengers there's a lot of talk of us using our aeroplanes as freighters throughout the current situation.  Lots of extra capacity sitting around right now and air freight has always been very lucrative.  In fact I think the future of the aviation industry post-COVID will probably be more oriented towards goods and not people.

On the subject of continuing to order stuff, I'd say absolutely - if it's something you were planning to buy anyway (and you are able to afford it, I'll certainly have to budget vey strictly this year)  then in a way we have a responsibility to keep the hobby and its suppliers alive.  Margins are often really tight in this business and I'd hate to think of a world without some of the small businesses and amazing products we often take for granted but whose products enable us to recreate what we love 76 or 150 times smaller.

• RMweb Gold

I'm still intending to buy some stuff I had on the wants list, and will also need modelling bits. I want to support traders having a hard time as I want them to be there after this is over.

Personally I am ending ebay listings for the time being as I don't want to be trailing down to the Post Office to do the sending out.

• Agree 1

I would like to support UK sellers but face unknown delays for delivery, with the almost complete shut down of international airlines, which, being selfish, means likely interminable delays.  So much as I would like to buy, I must also think of my own financial survival, and economic effects are so far quite scary.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I voted 2 on the basis that we'll be told when Mail is re-prioritised.....I think given the isolation HMG will  be very keen to keep postal services as comprehensive as possible for as long as possible.

10 hours ago, Ian Morgan said:

International mail is likely to be delayed or curtailed as the number of flights reduces, and some countries close their borders.

It will be just like when there was the option of Surface Mail or Air Mail.

Surface meant lets wait until the container is full or there is space on the aircraft!

• RMweb Premium

Unless or until there is evidence that the using t'internet  for my purchases is somehow slowing the operations of critical supplies, why on earth should I not continue to support the suppliers by buying on-line?  Supplies from the UK to me may be slowed down, but that has more to do with a reduced offering of service by the airline because there are no bums on seats.  I and thousands of others could make that worse by not ordering and reducing the freight income as well.

I see nothing at this stage that suggests that if I ask Bloggs models to send me a package of goods that it will in some hazard the recovery from C-19.  I can see that by so doing, I support Bloggs models, the postal services, the airlines and probably a host of others as well connected with that supply chain (airports, couriers, customs officials etc.) .

That could change, in which case I would revise my opinion.

• Agree 3

Hello,

I would say "Keep calm and carry on" is the best way.  The virus will continue to effect humanity whatever individuals do until we reach the stage of developing immunity to it. Death and chaos are an inevitable part of a pandemics especially now the world is a smaller place when relating to human actions and activity.

trustytrev.:(

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm not stopping using mail order. It helps social isolation. Helps keep the economy moving. It can also be done at a very reduced risk to the spread of CORVID19. 

• Agree 1

From the latest Kernow Model Rail Centre weekly newsletter:

--8<--

...Both our online mail order and shops are continuing to operate as normal. The opening hours for both of our shops and mail order remain the same. We will continue to monitor the situation but we will keep you updated on any changes made.

We are in regular contact with our suppliers and manufacturers but deliveries, including new stock, are still arriving daily. Royal Mail and DPD are both maintaining services as normal with parcels continuing to be despatched daily.

Both Royal mail and DPD have let us know that, in order to protect people as much as possible, they will not be handing over their hand-held devices to customers to capture signatures. Postmen and women will instead log the name of the person accepting the item. This will apply to all deliveries that require a signature.

Royal Mail have also stated that for all customers, including those who are self-isolating, where they need to deliver any parcel that won’t fit through a letterbox, they will place the item on the doorstep. Having knocked on the door, they will then step aside to a safe distance while customers retrieve the item. This will ensure all items are delivered securely rather than being left outside. If customers are unable to come to the door, they will issue a ‘Something for You’ card, advising of other ways you can arrange to get your item. For example, by getting a friend or family member to collect the parcel from their local Customer Service Point. In this situation, and to keep your mail as secure as possible, they will need to bring along the card we left, and a form of ID in the name of the person the item is addressed to.

We hope this information is helpful for you!

--8<--

They certainly seem to be continuing to provide a mail order service outwards, and are receiving goods inwards by mail delivery services.

• RMweb Premium

Having made an e-bay purchase from a seller in France on Tuesday 17th, I am aware that the package arrived at UPS's Stanford le Hope depot yesterday early p.m. - and is now in transit with the expectation of being delivered to me on Monday 23rd.

At no time has there been any suggestion that my reckless purchase is causing a delay to more important traffic!

Also, if there is a need to free up the capacity of the British Postal system hopefully the first things to be cut will be the delivery of "Unsolicited" flyers and snake oil sellers brochures which account for about 80+% of the items delivered here by the Postman each week.

I think Nearholmer is currently worrying too much on this subject.

Regards - Enjoy your trains

Chris H

• Agree 3

Guest Half-full

Today I received a package of items I ordered yesterday, sent 2nd class ordinary mail, from the other side of the country.  

The RM is operating as normal, although my postman did say that guaranteed next day deliveries cant be guaranteed, which is completely understandable.