Phone photography - an update

jpachl

In 2015, I posted an entry in this forum on my first attempts to use a mobile phone camera for model railway photography. While the results were already quite promising, they could not yet compete with real cameras at the time. Now, five years later, the situation has changed completely. In January 2020, I bought a Huawei P30 cell phone. I could hardly wait for the first opportunity to take some model rail pictures. The results were impressive.

49647742998_791dddd7a7_z.jpgAt the loading dock by Jörn Pachl, auf Flickr

The optical zoom lens delivers an incredible depth of field even at high zoom levels. On some scenes, the cell phone camera definitely beats my MFT camera I normally use for model rail photography. In the picture below, the depth of field ranges from the small cabin in the foreground until the background picture.

49597259197_8034b95e22_z.jpgSwitching scene by Jörn Pachl, auf Flickr

While I will not yet retire my MFT camera, I will also keep using my cell phone camera for model railroad photography. If you would like to get notified on new model rail pictures I took, you may follow my instagram account.

216724754_instagramscreenshot2.jpg.3c8d642da521831b09a5d851583aefe7.jpg

Full resolution versions of my pictures, you find in the relevant folders of my Flickr and Deviantart accounts.

• Like 4