Ashtown TMD

Alcanman

Having built several small, freight oriented, shunting layouts of the past few years, I felt it was time to have a go at building a small TMD layout.

I came up with a simple track plan with a servicing shed and two fuelling roads. Two additional short sidings offer a little variety in operation with traction gas oil being deivered in TTA and TEA tankers.

Working in my usual space of 9ft x 15ins, I was able to fit in 3 large radius points in the scenic area, a luxury on such a small layout.

Track has been laid and glued in place.

tmd layout 11.3.20 012.JPG

TMD layout 2020.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Looks good - only question would be: how are locomotives going to get from the upper line(on the plan) to the lower line? Or is that being planned to take place by hand in the fiddle yard? That would require a bit of fiddling to get stock reset on the track. 

I might have put a point facing the opposite direction from the upper fuelling point line to the bottom line, replacing the single left hand point with a 3way point. But that's just me!

Cheers,

Will

• Agree 2

I'll look forward to seeing this Alcanman, I like your freight yards so I'm sure this will be the same. 

I think Will has a point about moving stock between the lines, one idea could be to build a sector plate for the fiddle yard. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks for your constructive comments.

When I first started planning the layout, I intended to include a couple of points to form a crossover.

However, this took up a lot of space and, did not add much operationally. Also, I couldn't fit the 5 sidings I wanted.

So, I decided that it wasn't really neccessary to be able to move locos all over the layout. Basically, some locos will only arrive for fuelling, they will be staged on the bottom 2 hidden sidings. Locos which require servicing and fuelling will be staged on the upper 2 sidings.

I won't be fiddling locos between tracks in the hidden sidings, they will simply arrive and depart, interspersed with a few wagon movements.

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Alcanman said:

Thanks for your constructive comments.

I won't be fiddling locos between tracks in the hidden sidings, they will simply arrive and depart, interspersed with a few wagon movements.

Sounds grand! As they(whoever they are) say, quite often less is more. Not having a crossover will give you some interesting operational choices.

Have fun!

Will

• Thanks 1

With plenty of time being spent at home at the moment, I've been able to make good progress.

Track now wired and tested and locos running nice and smoothly. I won't be cramming the layout with locos. They are all sound fitted and, to be honest, a maximum of 2 with sound on is more than enough for me. Less is definately more!

I've also managed to weather a couple of TTAs.

ATMD 023.JPG

ATMD 019.JPG

• Like 8

Weekend progress at Ashtown TMD. I managed to recycle the road overbridge, with a little modification, from my previous layout, Ashtown Aggregates.

Also a pic of the small fiddle yard.

atmd 29.3.20 004.JPG

atmd 29.3.20 005.JPG

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Today, I've been thinking about what to use to fill in background areas of the layout.

Originally, I planned a small line of trees between the road overbridge and the oil storage tanks.

However, I placed a couple of low relief warehouses and quite like the results, so I may go with this.

atmd 30.3.20 002.JPG

atmd 30.3.20 003.JPG

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Alcanman said:

After much deliberation, I decided to use the warehouse but add some overgrown bushes and security fencing to the space between the oil storage tanks and the road overbridge.

atmd 31.3.20 001.JPG

atmd 31.3.20 003.JPG

Starting to take shape now...

• Thanks 1

A couple of pics to show the current overall progress at Ashtown TMD.

1111618387_atmd5.3.20002.JPG.911846a5f1155ab3a002289f6c0b5e88.JPG1111618387_atmd5.3.20002.JPG.911846a5f1155ab3a002289f6c0b5e88.JPG

To add a little operating variety, wagons are occaisonally brought into the siding at the front of the layout. Today 47727 arrives will a couple of ZDAs loaded with ballast

atmd 5.3.20 001.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On ‎04‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 10:18, Alcanman said:

Started working on the concrete hard-standing at Ashtown TMD.

atmd 4.4.20 001.JPG

atmd 4.4.20 003.JPG

Depot looking realy good now!!

ive just added detail to my Colmore TMD..

• Thanks 1

The yard office and portakabin have been bedded in place and a few details added.

I don't think those workers on the left are observing current 'safe distance' rules!

The office is very similar to this structure at Tyne Yard.

atmd 8.4.20 001.JPG

TY_13.9.14_001.JPG

• Like 4

Have always enjoyed your layouts and this one is no different. I particularly enjoy the weathering of track and blast you create.. 

This has the 'Alcanman stamp' of quality running all the way through it! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1722 said:

Have always enjoyed your layouts and this one is no different. I particularly enjoy the weathering of track and blast you create.. 

This has the 'Alcanman stamp' of quality running all the way through it! 

Thanks. Your comments are much appreciated.