Ashtown TMD

Alcanman

• 2 weeks later...

17 hours ago, RPNaylor0301 said:

I’ve got to ask (but I fear to..!) what happens to the last layout when you start the next? Your work is phenomenal, really inspirational small space modelling. Agree that sometimes less is more in terms of track and movements 

Thanks for your kind comments.

I suspect you've guessed what happens to my old layouts. Yes, they end up on the council tip!

Last week someone offered to buy the layout. I had to inform them that it wasn't portable.

However, my rather unusual method of building baseboards makes disposing of, and , building new layouts easy.

The baseboard mdf tops are screwed to a 3ins x 1ins timber frame. I simply unscrew the mdf tops leaving the timber frame re-usable for the next layout. The timber frame was built over 20 years ago and has been host to countless layouts.

To be honest, I'm more interested in researching,  planning and building layouts than operating them. As soon as a layout is finished, I start thinking abut the next one.

• Like 2

You’re very welcome mate. I’m guessing you manage to re-use most of the buildings etc?

Between this and your take on Tees Yard I’ve found a fair bit of inspiration to start something, but I don’t think I’ll be breaking it up afterward..!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Alcanman said:

Thanks for your kind comments.

I suspect you've guessed what happens to my old layouts. Yes, they end up on the council tip!

Last week someone offered to buy the layout. I had to inform them that it wasn't portable.

However, my rather unusual method of building baseboards makes disposing of, and , building new layouts easy.

The baseboard mdf tops are screwed to a 3ins x 1ins timber frame. I simply unscrew the mdf tops leaving the timber frame re-usable for the next layout. The timber frame was built over 20 years ago and has been host to countless layouts.

To be honest, I'm more interested in researching,  planning and building layouts than operating them. As soon as a layout is finished, I start thinking abut the next one.

....thought that was just my problem - but i've surprisingly somehow managed to settle on the present  Jock attempt (Caerbannog)  - for now.

I have also eventually found that there should always be room for expansion - it gives you scope and something to be thinking about and improving without binning the whole project.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Alcanman said:

Ashtown TMD is being replaced by a new small shunting layout. Watch out for 'Enterprise Yard' coming soon......

Sounds good Alanman looking forward to the new project build

• Like 1