Ramsay's British Model Trains Catalogue

beancounter

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

According to my copy of the 9th edition the previous editions were published as follows:-

1st - 1998

2nd - 2000

3rd - 2002

4th - 2004

5th - 2006

6th - 2008

7th - 2011

8th - 2013

9th - 2015

Since 2015 it has gone very quiet about a new edition and I fear that the time and effort may not be worth it for the number of sales. As @Phil Parker is the editor he may be able to tell us if another edition is planned.

Edited by Chris116

• RMweb Premium

They have always tried to include items that had been announced and were supposed to be available by the time the edition was published. This always means it is possible that an item is due for delivery a month before publication and then does not appear. That is why I always keep two or three editions on my book shelf and would love to see a 10th edition in the next 12 months.

The 94xx is shown as being due 2016 in the 9th edition which was published in 2015 which seems reasonable to me even if it has since been delayed and is now not due until November 2020. If I were publishing today I would show it as due Nov 2020 and just have to hope it arrived as my crystal ball broke a longtime ago.

Edited by Chris116

• Administrators
19 hours ago, Chris116 said:

Since 2015 it has gone very quiet about a new edition and I fear that the time and effort may not be worth it for the number of sales. As @Phil Parker is the editor he may be able to tell us if another edition is planned.

No plans at the moment. The problem is the guide is incredibly time consuming to put together, costs a lot to print and distribute and yet the market for it isn't very large.

Personally, some sort of on-line database would seem to be more sensible, but I doubt you'd persuade enough people to pay for access and you can't do this sort of thing for free. Simply creating the website would be a massive job.

19 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

The 9th edition is not particularly reliable source as it indicates a number of unreleased models as being released albeit usually with prices stated  as TBA (Bachmann 94xx - 2016 apparently for example)

They were all due imminently when the guide was put together. We'd expected them to be out by the time, or at least very shortly after, the guide was printed.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Personally, some sort of on-line database would seem to be more sensible, but I doubt you'd persuade enough people to pay for access and you can't do this sort of thing for free. Simply creating the website would be a massive job.

If you do get it as an on-line database you can put me down for a subscription! 

The massive job of creating the website could be split into smaller parts by starting with those manufacturers who are still producing new models and then add the rest at a suitable pace to keep people interested. Maybe split the current manufacturers by doing 4mm, then 2mm, then 7mm and then the other scales.