JSModels - Laser-Cut Kits - Now in N Gauge too!!!

JSModels

• RMweb Premium

Following the very successful launch yesterday, this kit sold out very quickly. I've now produced some more and have added them to the website.

The 20% discount code is still valid for this new stock, too.

Regards,

Jonathan

JSModels

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 14/03/2021 at 12:37, jrb said:

Following the very successful launch yesterday, this kit sold out very quickly. I've now produced some more and have added them to the website.

The 20% discount code is still valid for this new stock, too.

Regards,

Jonathan

JSModels

Jonathan

Canal lock kit should arrive shortly. Can't wait to get started. I noticed a couple of your photos of the prototype. Is it possible for you to post a few which will greatly help with painting / weathering and setting the scene.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

Jonathan

Canal lock kit should arrive shortly. Can't wait to get started. I noticed a couple of your photos of the prototype. Is it possible for you to post a few which will greatly help with painting / weathering and setting the scene.

David

David,

Certainly. In fact, here's the album with them all. Enjoy!

Regards,

Jonathan

JSModels

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

This is very nice indeed.

Although, not knowing much about canals, im confused by the apparent step in the water level inside the lock. What is ghis? Apologis if its been mentioned, i have to admit ive only looked at the last few posts.

No apology necessary. That 'step' is the cill, which is the change in the level of the bottom of the canal. If you look at the pictures of the prototype I just linked to, you'll see a white line painted on either side of the lock in line with that, called the 'cill marker'. That's so people know where it is & can make sure the boat is clear of that point. Otherwise, this happens :(

Jonathan

JSModels

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, jrb said:

David,

Certainly. In fact, here's the album with them all. Enjoy!

Regards,

Jonathan

JSModels

Jonathan

What can I say? Wow! Thanks so much for posting these. I will let you know how the finishing goes based on these photos and the techniques used if successful.

Cheers, David

PS Enjoying those photos if what can go wrong, albeit not so funny for the canal boat owners.

• Like 1

I seem to recall a tragic incident a few years ago now when this happened with a party of children in wheelchairs on board a narrow boat, and one or more of them drowning in the accident despite the best efforts of their carers to get them clear.

The other common mistake is to have the bows too close to the upper gates when filling a lock. I saw it happen - but with less tragic results - on the Leeds Liverpool Canal at Gargrave (near Skipton) back in the 1970s; the first locks were encountered just before the village, and so anyone hiring a boat would be accompanied and guided through how to use the locks by the hirers, before being left to their own devices afterwards. On this occasion, it was a first "solo" lock for the crew and we were watching the teenagers in the family open the gates, the boat move into the lock, then close the gates and begin opening the paddles on the upper gates. Being enthusiastic teenagers, they opened the paddles as wide as possible and were oblivious to the water cascading into the boat's front cockpit as they had their backs to the lock, and couldn't hear their father shouting from the rear of the boat! Within seconds the bows were going under, and my dad actually grabbed a mooring line to help pull the boat back whilst they frantically closed the paddles again! Lots of red faces, compounded when the hire company representative turned up a short time later and tore a strip off them - the boat was floating but had what looked like a foot of water inside the living quarters! It was certainly a lot lower in the water than boats usually looked!

Of course, a small crowd had gathered and watched whilst another boat towed it out of the lower gate and it was tied up at the side of the canal, whilst the family sheepishly removed their (mostly wet) belongings! I don't think they were allowed to continue their canal boat holiday, and the boat was there the next day with a small team making it 'water-worthy' again.

On future holidays, me and my sister used to offer to help boats through those locks by taking mooring lines and looping them through cleats to ensure the bows weren't too far forward. Sometimes we were rewarded with 50p each from the grateful novices (who always seemed glad of help for their first solo lock!) and on one occasion had a ride up to the next lock (as my parents were taking the dog for a walk alongside).

Happy days ... 

Steve S

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

54 minutes ago, jrb said:

No apology necessary. That 'step' is the cill, which is the change in the level of the bottom of the canal. If you look at the pictures of the prototype I just linked to, you'll see a white line painted on either side of the lock in line with that, called the 'cill marker'. That's so people know where it is & can make sure the boat is clear of that point. Otherwise, this happens :(

Jonathan

JSModels

That explains it, thanks! Being a land lubber, (having a bath is as nautical as it gets) id assumed the doors went all the way to the bottom, i had no idea there was a cill.  Thank goodness ive never been in control of a narrow boat!

• RMweb Premium

Brian from Braeside Models @brylonscamel has just sent these pictures through of one of my kits he's painted for me - absolutely stunning!

JSM12B_BM_01.jpg.ad49ec65ac69333e970a7fbfa9cb603d.jpg

JSM12B_BM_02.jpg.7e23b4124bb8b58e4efce7b280bcca85.jpg

JSM12B_BM_03.jpg.6d1d0260343abfd840acab17b52d2b7e.jpg

JSM12B_BM_04.jpg.92d61fd42ba8521bf68474ad68410231.jpg

Can't wait to get the finished model back here so I can appreciate it in person. Thanks Brian!

Jonathan

JSModels

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

On 16/03/2021 at 15:45, jrb said:

Can't wait to get the finished model back here so I can appreciate it in person. Thanks Brian!

Thanks for the comment, really pleased you like the images of the finished kit. It went together so easily and it's well thought out with clear instructions.

The model should be back with you, let's hope you're as happy with the real thing!

Cheers, 

Brian

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've made some changes in the background of the website to the way shipping is calculated - UK orders now have a choice of 1st or 2nd class delivery, and now (finally!) orders can be placed for delivery worldwide, not just to the UK.

It *should* all work automatically, but if anyone has any issues with it, please get in touch & I'll be happy to try to resolve them for you.

Additionally, local pick-up has been added too - so if you are in the area you can collect from me rather than paying for postage (by pre-arrangement & with social distancing, etc).

Regards,

Jonathan

JSModels

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

This Sunday is our 1st birthday - a whole year since www.jsmodels.co.uk went live. So to celebrate, how about a nice bit of discount?

Use promo code 'BIRTHDAY10' at checkout to get 10% off ALL products!!!

Or, spend over £50 to double it up to 20%, with promo code 'BIRTHDAY20'!!!

Discount codes are valid until midnight Monday.

Jonathan

JSModels

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Wow, I can't believe it's been over 3 months since I last posted on here! Time certainly flies....

Anyway, I've got my first ever show tomorrow - well technically it's a club open day rather than a 'proper' show, but hopefully it still counts :lol:

PXL_20210731_145224565.jpg.ac10c024318a6b853b0b2f5a6ceeef2f.jpg

I'll be at the Aire Valley Railway Modellers Club open day from 10am to 4pm tomorrow, so of you're around please call in and say hello.

FB_IMG_1627500648129.jpg.e7c963da056122547264e8e4c25e6534.jpg

Regards,

Jonathan

JSModels

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm having a little sale, with 10% off all items for the rest of August. Simply use discount code 'AUGUSTBH' at checkout to get your discount. Code is valid until midnight on 31/08/21.

I'm away for a little break, meaning any orders placed won't be posted until Saturday (4th September). I will still be checking/answering emails though, so if you have a query about anything please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Regards,

Jonathan

JSModels

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's been far too long, but I finally have a couple of updates.

Firstly, I'll be attending Leeds MRS on 23rd & 24th October:

2013656951_LeedsMRSFlyer.jpg.54a81074db6081bc5df1da89851e40f3.jpg

I'll have a stand there with stock of all my kits, so please say hi if you come along. Feel free to purchase something too :D:lol:

Secondly, some of you may recall (but maybe not, it was a LONG time ago!!!) I was doing a commission to build Didcot Provender Store in OO gauge/4mm scale. Well, it's finally finished (as far as I'm finishing it, anyway - all the windows, trims, buttresses, roof slates etc. are being being supplied loose, for the client to fit). It's a bit of a beast; 760mm long, 300mm wide, and 310mm tall (even without the water tanks on the tops of the towers!)

Here's what the prototype looked like, now long gone, unfortunately:

1146585_711322322227992_1846940134_n.jpg.454398123ae518108f3990fe2fb06470.jpg

And here's the model. It's not an exact replica (there are no detailed drawings of it anyway) just a general 'impression of':

DPS_Final01.jpg.63349caf24bb93b3f9850f05800612f7.jpg

DPS_Final02.jpg.c4af7ef361ef7d869d4a3fb2e09df404.jpg

DPS_Final04.jpg.318575e78d72eb710a2dd07197457ac1.jpg

DPS_Final05.jpg.6a719cc302e817b32798d130b103dee9.jpg

The rear wall & shorter tower are a separate, removable section. This is to allow access for the client to install the windows, but also because he's planning to model the interior!

DPS_Final10.jpg.79c0fb11a21383f80fc1d382b2895f07.jpg

It's going to be fun crating this up to ship it 'down south', but that should be done in the next week or so...

Regards,

Jonathan

JSModels

Edited by JSModels
sticky fingers!
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 2

27 minutes ago, JSModels said:

Secondly, some of you may recall (but maybe not, it was a LONG time ago!!!) I was doing a commission to build Didcot Provender Store in OO gauge/4mm scale. Well, it's finally finished (as far as I'm finishing it, anyway - all the windows, trims, buttresses, roof slates etc. are being being supplied loose, for the client to fit). It's a bit of a beast; 760mm long, 300mm wide, and 310mm tall (even without the water tanks on the tops of the towers!)

That's brilliant work Jonathan and glad to hear you're getting out-and-about with an exhibition. I've just returned from a weekend in Milton Keynes with Dan at 'GETS' - and it was great to be back amongst the model-makers.

PS I know a bit of the background to the 'Provender Store' commission and am pleased you got the job to build it. There was much discussion online about the best way to reproduce it and I was keen to promote the idea that a proper scratch-build was the way forward - at least a laser-cut carcass. It's great to see you went the whole way with it and got to engrave the brickwork.

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, brylonscamel said:

That's brilliant work Jonathan and glad to hear you're getting out-and-about with an exhibition. I've just returned from a weekend in Milton Keynes with Dan at 'GETS' - and it was great to be back amongst the model-makers.

Thanks Brian, that means a lot especially coming from you!

I was really hoping to get to GETS to meet you and Dan, but I just couldn't make it work unfortunately. Looks and sounds like you had a really great weekend, so sorry I missed it. Maybe next time!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JSModels said:

Thanks Brian, that means a lot especially coming from you!

I was really hoping to get to GETS to meet you and Dan, but I just couldn't make it work unfortunately. Looks and sounds like you had a really great weekend, so sorry I missed it. Maybe next time!

I would have loved to see you at the weekend - it was a grand outing for Dan and I. His layout is a joy to run and went down supremely well at the show.

I'm sure we'll get a chance to meet at some point. PS Had you spotted a bit of conversation about my latest Todmorden commission? Tim and I are going to head up to the Calder Valley at some point and I'll let you know, in case there's an opportunity to meet.