hello all,

Well with this darn virus running around the world, thought I’d spend some time with a little layout planning. 
Benn sort of dabbling with O-14, I’ve gotten a KB Scale loco, a few wagons and a few other bits and bobs. along with the track stencils from the KB Scale website.  
I've been playing with these stencils to come up with a layout on a sheet of foam core about 20x30 inches in size.

There are 5 sidings

One is the fiddle where clay comes from the pit

Two is the clay dump

Three finished brick from the kiln

Four brickyard for loading to either standard gauge railway or truck loading.

cant recall what the fifth one I planned to use it for. I did have a reason. 
Now if I can get the photo I took uploaded you will see.

AFBD643F-D133-4EB5-8E40-98EE3E6CAC79.png

Edited by SteveS
  • Like 9

Steve, I would strongly suggest you try laying some track - I found that the foam board is not strong enough to secure spikes. I could have been doing something wrong (it was a while ago) but I would see how it goes before you commit to a layout.

Regartds,

Craig

• 1 month later...

Hey Steve 

Nice job with the track plan . I use foam ore covered with the cork rolls they sell a Michaels /Hobby Lobby ,it’s easy to cut to shape and takes spikes well (thanks Colin Peake) 

Its great to have someone on this side of the pond

Been modeling for quite a while all in odd gauges Gn2,O9,O-14 all British prototypes.Used to have the first 100 NG&IRG but got rid of all but the first couple years

Moved several years ago from MT to FL ( winter got to me) but before that lived in the Chicagoland area

Bought my first kits from Roy I’ve been using S gauge PC ties (cut down) ,PC throw bars (also S gauge) mixed with KB ties and ME code 83 rail ,all from clover house

Any help I can give you just ask been getting care packages for over there for years

take care......

joe

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the kind words Joe.  Right now everything I want to do is sort of on hold. Have a huge house project that deals with replacing 2 foundation walls. I was reading the instructions in the Ruston loco kit and it talks about soft soldering. Still trying to understand it and just what materials I need. I guess I need mainly the solder and flux. 

What do you use as a base to hold the foam core. My guess might be 1x2 lumber. 

Is the foam core and cork glued together.

Did you follow Roy’s instructions when it comes to building and wiring the small turnouts.

Thanks for any help.

Steve