Atlas F9 Diesel loco Wheel replacements

paulbb

I bought this item from Victors on Pentonville Road back in the early 1980's. I also bought a job lot of Lima track and points (2' radius!) from a swapmeet when you could buy cheap second hand stuff.

The loco runs quite sweetly on this coarse scale track. Having now built a layout using Peco bullhead track the loco is fine on straight/curved track but the flanges are a little too wide for Peco points. Does anyone know - or better still have- any replacement wheelsets for the loco so I can run a US style Inglenook operation on it??

Guest Isambarduk
12 hours ago, paulbb said:

replacement wheelsets for the loco

Now that's going to be a real challenge, Paul, because I doubt that there has ever been much demand for these so I suspect that there has been no offering.

My solution was to turn down the wheels to Finescale profile.  I actually gave the body away as I only needed the bogies and part of the framing.  The result was a mobile motor test-bed for many years, and then a propulsion unit for a rail-mounted first generation video camera; finally it became a free-lance steam turbine electric locomotive.

Ante_Ducem.jpg

Steam Turbine Electric Locomotive

I'm sorry that I was unable to offer you a solution.

David

I originally took a bit off the back of each flange in my lathe.

Now the mech uses replacement wheels from NWSL designed for it. This also addresses the gears on the axles that will eventually split with better quality ones provided.

I suspect I moved them out to 29mm BTB in the process.

cheers

Bob

P1030055 s.JPG

11 hours ago, Isambarduk said:

Now that's going to be a real challenge, Paul, because I doubt that there has ever been much demand for these so I suspect that there has been no offering

From a UK perspective, maybe. :rolleyes: In the USA, there has been demand enough.

The direct drop-in replacement wheelsets you need were made by Northwest Short Line; part # NWSL 2525-6.

Edit: available from:

Northwest Short Line directly, made to order.

https://nwsl.com/collections/geared-wheelsets/products/geared-wheelset-o-40-115-1-8-x-1-425-shouldered-axle-roco-atlas-f9-red-caboose-gp9-upgrade-geared-wheelsets-4

Or from P&D Hobby, Michigan.

https://www.pdhobbyshop.com/Store/product_info.php?cPath=23_26_37_199&products_id=5382

Of course you might baulk at the price, in which case they sometimes turn up on US Ebay.com.  or consider alternatives like using a lathe, as suggested before.

Edited by F-UnitMad
Found supplier links.

Many thanks for the links F-UnitMad, and your thoughts David. I will probably bite the bullet and get the NWSL sets if I can , as its an old and personal favourite. Failing that I will try an engineering service somewhere and get the wheels turned down.

Its a favourite as well, possibly  it reminds me of a time when I was younger,slimmer and had lots of hair!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

The wheels only need regauging slightly with a little bit of flange area taken off the back.  From memory, they are n-s plated whitemetal, so easing the wheel off the insulated end of the axle to do the 'turning' (electric drill) should be fine.  If you're going to try NWSL, it won't hurt if you try and fix the Atlas wheels first!!

Jason