My stay-at-home project

As a stay-at-home project during the corona curfew, I started to buid a new US prototype TT scale diorama. It's a fictitious small station somewhere in the Rust Belt. Next step will be ballasting.

grafik.png.cf01589aa16af5340f2fd3274832aeb0.png

• Like 13

So many modellers at this time are going to be happily progressing their layouts, whilst non-modellers go stir crazy once they have watched everything Netflix etc has to offer! Assume TT is 3mm/foot?

Stay safe and keep well.

Steve S

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Assume TT is 3mm/foot?

In the UK, TT is known as 3mm scale, which means 1/100. However, outside UK, TT is 1/120, which means 2.5 mm/foot. The 1/120 scale was invented in the US to simplify scale calculations in the non-metric system. By that scale, 1 inch on the model equals 10 foot in reality. Today, 1/120 TT scale is almost extinct in the US and only popular in metric countries where that advantage doesn't matter. The only exception might be New Zealand, where TT scale (there called NZ120) is quite popular because you can use N scale bogies and drives to make meter gauge TT scale eqipment.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With the end of the lockdown in Germany, I also finished my diorama. For convenient storage and transportation, the diorama was designed to fit into an office storage box of which the cover is used as a backdrop. 

1626298020_DioramaaufBalkonweissklein.JPG.abdf36836be4354a7e7dc1dc972d3bde.JPG

The diorama shows a fictitious scene with an old station depot located at a junction at the edge of an industrial area somewhere in the Rust Belt in the 1960s. The interlocking limits controlled by the tower near the depot are only partly shown. The map below shows the cutout to be seen on the diorama. The turnouts and interlocking signals are outside the modelled scene, only the train order signal is present there.

Map.jpg.d5962ba7c55d2c8fe3c41439bf9b5818.jpg

While the depot is a laser-cut kit, the tower is a resin model. For more pictures, visit my Flickr account or follow me on Instagram.

Edited by jpachl
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2