WiFi for NCE

I see WifiTrax have just released their WFD-30 NCE CAB Bus Wi-Fi Interface which can be used with all NCE Command Stations. This should mean that a layout using a NCE command station can now be controlled by phone (iphone or Android), iPad or the new TCS UWT-100 throttle (which can control any DCC system by wifi). 

For more information see http://www.wifitrax.com/products/product-WFD-30-detail.html

Manuals and other documents can also be downloaded from this page.

John R

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, JimFin said:

Would be good if it were CE marked and certified for European use.

Hi,

Well the WiFi/microcontroller module (with the metal enclosure) is CE marked and looks like the guts of the ESP32-D based modules I've bought from China and work with UK WiFi.

The last time I looked that ESP32-D module was a few pounds but of course there is the software to write.

The whole unit may not be certified for European use but I think in the case of the newer Raspberry Pi computers the radio part may have been designed so that incorporation of that Raspberry Pi into a larger module did not require recertification of the radio side of things. So that might apply here to the ESP32-D module.

I'm guessing it doesn't use NCE route Macros, NCE clock, Service mode programming, but I don't know enough about Hoffmann's WiThrottle.

Regards

Nick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimFin said:

Would be good if it were CE marked and certified for European use.

I actually emailed the company earier today with that exact question because, although the documentation mentions settings for use in Europe, there is no mention of CE certification within the printed material.

1 hour ago, NIK said:

I'm guessing it doesn't use NCE route Macros, NCE clock, Service mode programming, but I don't know enough about Hoffmann's WiThrottle.

From a quick scan of the manual limitation of use depends on the range of options available on the selected app.

• Informative/Useful 2

I received a response from Wifitrax overnight which states that The module is indeed CE certified to comply with Article 3 of Directive 2014/53/EU.

I hope they update their documentation soon to reflect this statement.

Edited by BromsMods
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 23/03/2020 at 19:11, BromsMods said:

WiThrottle has a fast clock option. The programming of locos and accessories I would have expected users to have done directly via the NCE command station and throttle in use.  I think the WFD-30 interface is just a way of controlling trains and accessories via wifi. However, this does leave the question of macros currently unresolved but I know this issue is still being investigated by the manufacturer.

I don't think there is anything for programming locos in the WiThrottle protocol, because when it was written the protocol was for a throttle, and assumed one would use the PC for loco programming. 

I also don't think there is a simple means to access an NCE system-stored route (macro) from the WiThrottle protocol (or for that matter the JMRI code which WiThrottle would normally connect to).      Usually with a computer running JMRI its simpler to create routes within JMRI, and they can be triggered from actions in the WiThrottle client (such as operating a specific turnout triggering the route).   But this is a situation without that computer running JMRI.

It would appear to me, that the device manufacturer will have to (a) extend the WiThrottle protocol (and risk it diverging from the majority of users of the protocol) and, (b - more difficult) persuade the other makers of Apps and Hardware to change their code to adopt the new extensions.  

Hi,

I think (from looking over someones shoulder) devices using Engine Driver software (which I think uses WiThrottle protocol) can interact with JMRI to operate JMRI routes. However even then JMRI routes can't directly operate NCE macros (might be able to do with tables, NCE Macros and scripts).

Take care.

Nick

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Marcyg said:

Its now available from CoastalDCC. I'll be purchasing one very soon. Could do a review if anyone is interested?

I would be interested in your review if you do one, thanks.

Right, I dont have any pictures so far, but I'll write a description of how I got on. First impressions are, its small, a lot smaller than I expected due to it being about to put out its own WiFi signal. On the face of the board, are 3 switches. These switches in various combinations give the adaptor its cab address. I plugged in both my hand held throttles during set up so I could read their addresses and not double up. The instruction manual has a table in it, showing which switches, in which postion, give each cab address. Its very, very easy to set up. You'll need an RJ12 cable, which is not supplied, then plug it into either the cab bus, which in my case is a spare port on an SB5, or into the back of one of you existing PCP panels. It needs no external power supply. I use WiThrottle on an iPhone, so go into settings, WiFi connections, and to be honest, its really obvious which network you need to connect to, although the instructions do tell you which one. After that, open WiThrottle, go to settings and connect to the WiFi network. Its that simple, in fact, WiThrottle had connected itself to the network without me doing it. Me typing this out took longer than getting the device set up! My old laptop set up with JMRI used to randomly throw out throttles when it felt like it and took 6 hours for the valves in the laptop to warm up. This adaptor has so far performed faultlessly. A very nice bit of kit.

• Informative/Useful 1