"Despatch operation shutdown"?

spikey

• RMweb Premium

The much anticipated lockdown I would imagine.

Boris Johnson is due to address the nation @7pm UK time tonight.

I'm in Spain and we are due to be on lockdown for at least 4 weeks at the moment - just starting our 2nd week.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators

I would say it's more of a pre-emptive position in case of enforced closure of non-essential retail rather than restrictions on distribution - I have not heard of instances of the latter in other countries.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

I can't really see the advantage in a total lockdown. There must be some businesses that could continue albeit at a reduced rate rather than close down completely.

The guy who was doing some building work for me today has had three jobs cancelled (or postponed indefinitely). Likewise, my neighbour who has a flooring business.

21 minutes ago, Nickey Line said:

As far as Hatton's is concerned, I think that's a unilateral decision on their part, and very unlikely to be widely implemented... I hope. :negative:

Rails are still showing business as usual, as are KMRC for mail.

Hopefully Bozza doesn't do a ... um ... Bozza! ;)

• RMweb Premium

This is the latest announcement from Hattons suggesting they are trying to coordinate a hobby wide shut down of mail order services?!?

Questionable legality....

FB_IMG_1585065143173.jpg

• Informative/Useful 2

There is no reason that I can see for this and as said it sounds anti competitive. Would thought that manufacturers such as Hornby will not be happy either.

Edited by 6412
Spelling
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

The government has already suspended competition laws in some industries. No doubt they would like more people to stay at home rather than travelling to pack parcels. 

Another factor will be if lots of postal workers and delivery drivers go sick next week I can see the government wanting to take control of whatever courier capacity is available for essential deliveries.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

I don't think this sits well, especially when smaller / family run model shops which have shut may be relying on any orders they can muster online or via phone to live. Carnforth for example are posting any orders once a week. If Hattons want to close then that's cool, but they can't expect others to follow suit.

• Like 1
  • Agree 12

18 hours ago, richarddavies said:

Hi

I'm Managing Director of Hatton's

We are very much operational. Todays communications have been the start of sending a signal that we are bracing ourselves to temporarily close the doors - if it comes to that point.

Tonight's speech by the PM does still leave the door open to a "total" lockdown i.e. being told we have to totally shutdown operations at Montague Road

I am aware that some have got the impression we are definitely temporarily closing the doors - will try and remedy this tomorrow. Apologies to those who got that impression

Regards

Richard Davies

Hatton's 

Hello Richard,

Will you be despatching the items that you have charged to customers credit cards before you possibly shutdown? Ive had 3 x Class 66's charged for in the last 24 - 48hrs. Sorry got to ask.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

This is the latest announcement from Hattons suggesting they are trying to coordinate a hobby wide shut down of mail order services?!?

Questionable legality....

FB_IMG_1585065143173.jpg

Please see my comments here -

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

FB_IMG_1585065143173.jpg

I'm quite sure that, if the Government felt that the continuance of mail-order business would contribute to the spread of Covid-19, or divert resources needed elsewhere, we would by now have had an official statement banning such operations.

Until that time, Hattons can make their own decisions - but seeking to influence their competitors strikes me as being very revealing as to where their true motives lie.

For me, and I suspect for many other fellow modellers, this announcement will backfire and significantly influence my purchasing habits in future.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 14

• RMweb Gold

50 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

No, do not get into any panic buying or stirring any panic here. Please do not assume a likelihood of this universally happening.

Andy - thank you, that is reassuring, but in the absence of your commentary, I would find it hard to interpret the update from Hattons in any way other than an attempt by them to shut down all model railway mail order business 'for the duration', for reasons not stated.

4 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I'm quite sure that, if the Government felt that the continuance of mail-order business would contribute to the spread of Covid-19, or divert resources needed elsewhere, we would by now have had an official statement banning such operations.

No doubt any organisation, including the postal service and the 'delivery industry' has it's tipping point, but I've seen no indication anywhere that the use of said couriers and postal staff for non-food or non-medical items is harming the delivery of important and essential supplies for the nation.

If that 'tipping point' should be reached in future, of course, then the suspension of the distribution and delivery of 'non-essential items' is a no-brainer but until then, it occurs to me that there could be a great many folk self-isolating or quarantining themselves out there, maybe living on their own, for whom their hobby has assumed a greater level of importance in terms of maintaining good mental health.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

Just a question.

When you go out - and I don't mean the 20,000 on Brighton beach approach either - are you VERY aware of others around you, if walking down the road, or indeed when in a Supermarket?

The answer is probably YES.

When you receive a package, no matter what - letter, parcel, etc - are you taking similar precautions?

I have been for at least 2 weeks, wiping down with alcohol wipes.

I'm fairly certain not many others do this.

This COULD be a way of 'unfortunate and avoidable transmission of virus', so whilst the manner and wording may appear to have been a bit primadonna-like in 'I think therefore we all should do', the initiative I believe is VERY sound.

Just seeing those photos of people in tube trains, on the beach, on the common in SUCH LARGE NUMBERS was irresponsible - let's move on from that and eradicate this virus.

Hopefully, we will all get through this.

I sincerely hope so, but I also believe waiting another 2 months to ensure we're all safe is MUCH more important than the 'I must have that part now' mentality some still appear to have.

WELL DONE HATTONS AND THANK YOU.

Alan.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

Hi

We hope to encourage the industry to "rise above" short term opportunities to capitalise on the situation

The Government will support PAYE workers and self-employed too.

We will help any model railway retailer who has short-term cash flow challenges, whilst the government rebate is pending

Giving couriers parcels, means you are expecting them to employ people across their network, and therefore spreading it unnecessarily

I understand that there are lots of viewpoints on this.

I agree it's a risk to raise our head above the parapet - we have always been that kind of company to be honest

Richard

Hatton's MD 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

This COULD be a way of 'unfortunate and avoidable transmission of virus'

As could the delivery of cooked meals in packaging, medical supplies and indeed any other form of solid object passing from one person to another.  We are asked to understand that there is next to no risk with mail.  By all means take precautions as you see fit - not least because everyone's situation differs and some will be isolating for very good medical reasons - but I see this in much the same light as Andy Y and would not expect a widespread shut-down dancing to Hattons' tune because they wish it to be so.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

2 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

.... it occurs to me that there could be a great many folk self-isolating or quarantining themselves out there, maybe living on their own, for whom their hobby has assumed a greater level of importance in terms of maintaining good mental health.

My sentiments entirely! Up until today, I have been trying to keep Cambridge Custom Transfers going for that precise reason.

However, pressure from my offspring, concerned that incoming mail and my visits to the post office could put my wife and I at increased risk, has persuaded me, very reluctantly, to close CCT for the duration.

I regret the inconvenience to my many customers, but I dare not risk the consequences of contracting Covid-19; especially for my wife who has COPD and sarcoidosis.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, richarddavies said:

Hi

We hope to encourage the industry to "rise above" short term opportunities to capitalise on the situation

The Government will support PAYE workers and self-employed too.

We will help any model railway retailer who has short-term cash flow challenges, whilst the government rebate is pending

Giving couriers parcels, means you are expecting them to employ people across their network, and therefore spreading it unnecessarily

I understand that there are lots of viewpoints on this.

I agree it's a risk to raise our head above the parapet - we have always been that kind of company to be honest

Richard

Hatton's MD 

All credit to you for taking that risk for what you think is right in what is totally unprecedented times.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1