Ruston & Hornsby Shunter at Melton in the 70’s

NS Peak

Hello,  I am trying to find out more about a Ruston & Hornsby DM shunted that was used at Melton in Suffolk in1972.  There is a really bad picture of it in the Middleton Press Ipswich to Saxmundham book which states that it was brought in to help with stone traffic in 72.  Does anyone know anything about it such as where did it come from how long did it stay or where did it go afterwards?  Or better still point me to a better picture.  

thanks

Stephen

• Like 1

The Melton one (at Anglian Limestone Ltd) was RH 237927 (blt 1946)  which came (in 1972) from Eastern Counties Farmers in Ipswich (who aquired it in 1969 from Wards in Sheffield). Was used there until 1976 when the depot shut & moved to Ipswich and then spent some time in Ipswich Lower Yard, albeit not being used very much. Scrapped there in 1984. Info from an IRS Handbook.

It's not the one in the photo above!

It's this one......

Stoneruston.JPG.0e14f52f54c61ada4e155889b8b9c8f4.JPG

I never bothered to take a photo of it, but It's one I have in my collection.

Edited by Johann Marsbar
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, DOCJACOB said:

Agree that is Melton Humberside and a Fowler also present. Images from yours truly on here on a different thread and I was given footplate jaunt on the same day.

I heard rumours they are still there , is that true?

12 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

The Melton one (at Anglian Limestone Ltd) was RH 237927 (blt 1946)  which came (in 1972) from Eastern Counties Farmers in Ipswich (who aquired it in 1969 from Wards in Sheffield). Was used there until 1976 when the depot shut & moved to Ipswich and then spent some time in Ipswich Lower Yard, albeit not being used very much. Scrapped there in 1984. Info from an IRS Handbook.

It's not the one in the photo above!

It's this one......

Stoneruston.JPG.0e14f52f54c61ada4e155889b8b9c8f4.JPG

I never bothered to take a photo of it, but It's one I have in my collection.

Thanks Johann,  That’s perfect. I am always amazed and impressed by the depth of knowledge in the community.  I thought the sone traffic was for Anglian Limestone but Drew a blank trying to get more information.  It looked like a Ruston 4 DM from the picture in the Middleton press book but it’s great to get conformation .    I did not realise that ECF even had a Ruston or that it hung around in Ipswich until 84. It did not ring any bells and I even though I born and lived there (even had a cub scout trip crawling around the yard in Ipswich around that time :) ) 

one follow up question was it all over Blue or did it ever revive wasp stripes or a yellow panel?

Also Russ thanks for your picture,  you had me scratching my head trying to work out where in Suffolk the picture was.  I did also say Suffolk as there are a lot of Melton’s out there :) 

5 minutes ago, NS Peak said:

one follow up question was it all over Blue or did it ever revive wasp stripes or a yellow panel?

The colours on the photo are not a good guide (scan of a print from a discoloured slide...) and it was actually a rather faded green!  May actually have been its original RH supplied paint shade.

I never saw it move and got the impression it was only used early on at that location (accessed from Chancery Road - an unadopted roadway) ie 1976/7, and then just sat at the end of a siding for the rest of its time there until being scrapped in situ.

You can see the west end of the Maltings facing onto Princes Street that has since been a nightclub/offices in the background of the photo.

Thanks Johann,  I see your point about the colour as I was able to find a few more pictures 

and 

https://www.railscot.co.uk/locations/I/Ipswich_Lower_Yard/slideshow.html

both show some good shots of a very faded and unloved 48ds 

thanks again,  although my bank balance might not be so happy as I feel an order for the Hornby open sided model coming up

Cheers 

stephen

• Like 1