Jidenco LNWR/LMS Claughton

k22009

• RMweb Gold

This afternoon was brake day, Only the brake shoes provided, which are a bit skinny but will be ok. I've added a representation of the brake rigging underneath along with a brake cylinder and vacuum reservoir (both made from 8mm dia tube) mounted on brackets and retained with wire u bolts.

IMAG5035.jpg.443da958e1f9d86878083ecd5f45ba77.jpg

IMAG5037.jpg.17fb6d2d32b0524ea5d4da24f382af2f.jpg

Bogie hopefully tomorrow and maybe get the sandpipes and brackets in place. i'll add a spacer too for a piece of pcb for the pickups. I was hoping I might be able to have some wipers on the top of the wheels under the splashers but it's too tight so they'll have to be under the brake rigging.

Dave 

IMAG5035.jpg

IMAG5037.jpg

Edited by k22009
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

• RMweb Gold

High level gearbox and motor assembled this afternoon, but disaster struck shortly after. The heating element on my Antex died. Like everything you take for granted, it's surprising how much you use the darn thing. So I've ordered a new element, and while I wait i'll prepare the tender etched parts and the loco fittings.

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 4

9 hours ago, k22009 said:

High level gearbox and motor assembled this afternoon, but disaster struck shortly after. The heating element on my Antex died. Like everything you take for granted, it's surprising how much you use the darn thing. So I've ordered a new element, and while I wait i'll prepare the tender etched parts and the loco fittings.

Dave

I had that issue several years back, so I bought a second iron plus a new element for the one which broke. Handy having 2 as you can have 2 different size tips on them. Now they are backups for my digital soldering station, though I bought my wife a stained class starter set so one will be lost from the workshop soon

• RMweb Gold

On with the tender this afternoon.

The base of the tender is the correct width but it was a scale 1'-0 short as the front and rear ends are shaped.

IMAG5059.jpg.f1423e218d2c23bf5abc410ceb371cb0.jpg

So I spliced on a 4mm piece from the edge of the fret and cut out the required shapes, valences were discarded as they were too thin and I substituted some brass flat. I'm not sure if the holes that were in the base plate are OK so i'll wait to drill them out until I've got the chassis made up.

IMAG5060.jpg.2949b8bb5d6d79790ba13a7df2870ade.jpg

The inner chassis frames only had small 1mm dia holes predrilled in them for the axle bearings and they were a little out (about 0.75mm) so using the outer frames as a guide, which were spot on, I drilled them out to accept some small brass bearings rather than the humungus versions supplied in the kit. I used some 14mm nickel silver strip for the spacers which again will be drilled along with the base to suit later.

Frames soldered together I now turned my attention to adding a little missing detail. There is no water scoop or brake vacuum cylinder supplied so I had a ferret in my box and came up with a suitable scoop. I drilled one of the spacers and attached it to it. I also drilled the scoop lower arm and made up a small u shaped bracket which I added a wire to represent the lowering lever and pinned it to it, soldering the top of the lowering rod to the frame. Cylinder made up as for the loco from 8 dia brass tube with an actuating rod in the middle. I'll connect it all up to the brake assembly once I've got it primed and painted. The brake rods which fitted perfectly are outside the wheels so will be tricky to get the wheels on and off once soldered so again i'll attach these after painting.

I checked the base sitting on top of the chassis with the loco and it appears to be about 1-1.5mm to low so i'll need to add a small packer to the top of the frames to make it level.

IMAG5067.jpg.c6ed790b23c975626a3ef8dc412cdcda.jpg

On with the tender tank next.

Dave

IMAG5059.jpg

IMAG5060.jpg

IMAG5067.jpg

Edited by k22009
  • Like 11

Absolutely superb build so far. I know jidenco/falcon have a reputation but they do make really nice models. I've built a few & whilst they do offer a challenge the end result is worth the battle. 

What livery are you painting it once built?

It's a real shame that Dart castings have ended up with these kits. I've tried to purchase bits from them but you never end up with anything even though they say they will sell you etches. I cant see them getting this range back on the market.

Edited by Rhb Simon

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Rhb Simon said:

Absolutely superb build so far. I know jidenco/falcon have a reputation but they do make really nice models. I've built a few & whilst they do offer a challenge the end result is worth the battle. 

What livery are you painting it once built?

Cheers, I think the key to these kits is getting a good accurate drawing and plenty of reference material so that you can decide whether to stick with the etches as is or try to modify them if necessary. The instructions aren't great either so a fair bit of forward planning is needed to identify what goes where and when you need to use it. The tender being a prime example, lots of parts on the etches but it's a mystery where some go, and without a drawing it would be tricky to get right.

I'm hoping it'll be lined LMS Crimson Lake. There's still plenty of water to go under the bridge yet though.

Dave 

• Like 2

I must admit I fancy doing a crimson claughton at some point.

A elderly friend of mine told us a story once about a trip to manchester with his uncle who was a second hand car salesman. He used to buy cars from somewhere close to manchester victoria so my friend used to go so he could trainspot on victoria. He said it had gone quiet on victoria so wandered into exchange & there was the very last claughton in crimson with a 4 coach local. He did say it was a very free steaming engine & couldnt believe he had seen it. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The garden has taken priority for a few days but I've managed to get all of the detailing finished. As I mentioned previously there was not much in the way of items supplied so I've made quite a few bits and bobs including the tiny oil boxes which fit just above the splashers. They were a bit of a fiddle as they're only 3mm long but I've added 3 lubricator pipes to each (0.3mm wire).

IMAG5089.jpg.3baa289c166d131bc6bccdd7efe400f2.jpg

The rest of the items, handrails/ejector were also made up and everything got a good wash. All primed with Halfords etch primer and top coated with matt black or Halfords Rover Damask Red. 

IMAG5093.jpg.9088d990f94ace115a020bf607470c28.jpg

IMAG5094.jpg.240b4cb927198f8fb4844f93eb981a70.jpg

I'm waiting for some lining transfers before I progress further, I can't seem to find anyone that does a pale yellow or straw lining with plenty of curves and straight lengths. 

Dave

IMAG5089.jpg

IMAG5093.jpg

IMAG5094.jpg

Edited by k22009
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, k22009 said:

The garden has taken priority for a few days but I've managed to get all of the detailing finished. As I mentioned previously there was not much in the way of items supplied so I've made quite a few bits and bobs including the tiny oil boxes which fit just above the splashers. They were a bit of a fiddle as they're only 3mm long but I've added 3 lubricator pipes to each (0.3mm wire).

IMAG5089.jpg.0f6c1dfdb1429d4d933c1708e602ca97.jpg

The rest of the items, handrails/ejector were also made up and everything got a good wash. All primed with Halfords etch primer and top coated with matt black or Halfords Rover Damask Red. 

IMAG5093.jpg.8842507494b4132e780d2c87c9cd7825.jpg

IMAG5094.jpg.74e013c9363c5f7d66e8485e9e7bddbb.jpg

I'm waiting for some lining transfers before I progress further, I can't seem to find anyone that does a pale yellow or straw lining with plenty of curves and straight lengths. 

Dave

Have you tried Fox 'Off White', the finest is .35mm?

https://fox-transfers.co.uk/general-alphabets-linings/corners-in-off-33499

https://fox-transfers.co.uk/general-alphabets-linings/lining-in-off-33495

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

Thanks, I completely missed those when looking at the website.

1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

I've got one of these Jidenco kits in the pile of unbuilt stuff, looking at your excellent work with it makes me think it might be worth building after all. I don't really have a use for a Claughton but I do like them. 

Thanks Mike, at the start of this I was hoping the build would get a few of these kits unearthed out from the bottom of cupboards to see the light of day, there are faults with it but with good planning, decent photos and drawings it's not been too bad.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, k22009 said:

A lot of people will miss them as they're not in the railway section, there's only the specific loco class lining in there.

2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

I've got one of these Jidenco kits in the pile of unbuilt stuff, looking at your excellent work with it makes me think it might be worth building after all. I don't really have a use for a Claughton but I do like them. 

In the past I have built one of their loco kits and recently bought another part built to rebuild, I also have sold a couple of kits in the past simply as they are not the easiest kits to build. The one I now have to build has a pair of Alan Gibson mainframes, I will also tri and find some brass tube for the boiler. They did have a very wide range of exocit kits as well as the more common ones

46 minutes ago, k22009 said:

Thanks Mike, at the start of this I was hoping the build would get a few of these kits unearthed out from the bottom of cupboards to see the light of day, there are faults with it but with good planning, decent photos and drawings it's not been too bad.

The loco kits I think are easier to build that the wagon kits, I also think using a decent chassis and perhaps changing a few components may help with the build. Certainly for a little while this make has been getting more popular with buyers and like all second hand kits their price seems to be rising, and I think your post is an excellent advert for having a go at kit building

43 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

A lot of people will miss them as they're not in the railway section, there's only the specific loco class lining in there.

A simple search using key words usually finds them, if any do find their way into the wrong categories they can be bought quite cheaply 

You've made a really lovely job of that.  I've got the kit but I'm not anywhere near even contemplating a start, I'll save your notes and thoughts to assist when the time comes.  Interesting that you've chosen the 1936 lettering style, not seen very often.

Alan