Jidenco LNWR/LMS Claughton

k22009

1 hour ago, k22009 said:

Transfers duly arrived from Fox so I spent a good few hours with the radio soothing my nerves applying them all (they're not perfect but they'll have to do). Just coal to add to the tender now and a crew.

IMAG5120.jpg.1324f49c86d319712cdb6ef5e6099fe6.jpg

IMAG5121.jpg.c1acef05f089ad9973c38bc3f27aae9c.jpgIMAG5122.jpg.48a406c621ba713699e6cc27efc93ebf.jpgIMAG5123.jpg.babd37a8bde7ecaec57dd62aceb2a28b.jpgIMAG5124.jpg.1d735a60ab57501a80c047c596919434.jpg

Well after some misgivings about starting the kit I have been quite pleased with how it's all gone, yes there's been some modification work to do but on the whole it's been ok and to my eye it's turned into a nice model that doesn't get too much press considering they were the main stays of the West Coast mainline for the years before the Royal Scots took command.

Hopefully we'll see a few more make an appearance soon from the bottom of the to do list to the nearer the top.

Dave 

Good evening Dave,

lovely model. However, forgive my ignorance but isn't that the LMS post WW2 straw lining and sans serif lettering?

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Headstock said:

Good evening Dave,

lovely model. However, forgive my ignorance but isn't that the LMS post WW2 straw lining and sans serif lettering?

You're correct, the lettering was all I had left on my LMS loco transfer sheet, I may change it later. According to the Essery and Toms book many styles of lining and lettering were used on the Claughtons, 10", 12" and 14". Crewe used straw colour and a different style (LMS or Midland styles) for the 14" numerals, however some were with vermillion shading, some black shading, some imitation gold with black shading, some plain gold. The 1936 sans serif or block style apparently may have been reverted to and applied to Claughtons. Later Chrome yellow insignia/numerals with vermillion shading with chrome yellow lining became standard. No war time colours mentioned presumably as not many remained.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, k22009 said:

You're correct, the lettering was all I had left on my LMS loco transfer sheet, I may change it later. According to the Essery and Toms book many styles of lining and lettering were used on the Claughtons, 10", 12" and 14". Crewe used straw colour and a different style (LMS or Midland styles) for the 14" numerals, however some were with vermillion shading, some black shading, some imitation gold with black shading, some plain gold. The 1936 sans serif or block style apparently may have been reverted to and applied to Claughtons. Later Chrome yellow insignia/numerals with vermillion shading with chrome yellow lining became standard. No war time colours mentioned presumably as not many remained.

Thanks Dave,

What a confusing amount of information, I can't say I'm any the wiser with regard to your particular engine. Correct lining, wrong lettering and digits? I have a soft spot for the pre Stannier LMS and its constituents, your Claughton fits the bill rather well, a nice model of an interesting prototype.

• RMweb Gold

It is very confusing during this period it seems the LMS didn't really have anything set in stone, I'm not 100% certain but in 1936/7 when most of the Claughtons were withdrawn it may have been the correct lettering/numerals too. When I get a new Straw lettering sheet I may change it though.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, DLT said:

Sorry if I've missed it, but what is the source of your straw lining please?

Thanks, Dave.

Hi Dave i got them from Fox they're in the general lining section, they call the colour "off white". I must admit i missed them at first look but it was Worsdell Forever that nudged me in the right direction. 

Dave 

• Thanks 1