Photo Request- GWR 1466 (or other) pre- preservation BR black

Hi folks,

Sorry to ask such a "lazy" question, but as there are so many preservation era photos in internetland it's quite tricky to find working day (or very early preservation) ones. 

Basically I'm looking to model a 14xx that lasted into the early 60s and was withdrawn still wearing early crest plain black. It could also do with being one that had a top feed at this time. I've got a few options- 1462 appears to fit the bill, as does 1455 (which grew a top feed very late on). 1466 also fits the bill however- and I suspect there might be a few people out there with photos of this one, given her important role in Great Western preservation. Photos of any 14xx meeting this oddly specific request would be welcomed though. 

There's bonus points on offer (I'm afraid this won't take the form of loo roll, sausages, or pasta though) if it's on a freight or mixed train... 

Cheers!

Matt

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, brianthesnail96 said:

1466 also fits the bill however- and I suspect there might be a few people out there with photos of this one, given her important role in Great Western preservation.

There are plenty of photographs of 1466 in BR Days' try searching EBAY.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Quick squiz through Google images throws up 1453 at Sharpness, 5/64, no top feed, 1458 Oswestry 23/12/62, no top feed, 1451 Exeter St Davids 29/7/63 top feed, all in unlined black with unicycling lion.  The Oswestry example may have been withdrawn.  1453 must have been in service for at least 8 years without a repaint.

Hope this is some use.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Thanks 1

Thanks folks- I had tried eBay, there's a lot of older preservation ones on there and a handful of "at work" ones but a lot taken from almost directly in front for some reason, or with the engine in shadow- less useful as a reference for modelling. There are a couple of good ones that I'd missed before though, including a cracking colour slide of 1462. 

I'd love to do 1453 as that was a regular locally and distinctive with the home made front numberplate it carried for years- but the donor unsuspecting target has a top feed and since it's 5" gauge and coal fired lopping it off is a bit more involved than a sharp craft knife and a bit of milliput! One of the other long standing Gloucester engines was actually in unlined green, although I can't remember what crest it had (or which one it was).

Two brilliant reference photos there Miss Prism- exactly what I was hoping for. 1405 was a bit of an early withdrawal but 1435 fits perfectly for what I wanted. 

To try and explain the rather specific request- apart from being my favourite colour scheme for them, the loco is a commercially available one that was available in G W R green, BR early crest lined black and BR late crest lined green; mine is a GWR one (as are the majority) but a lot of the GL5 (scale modelling on 5" gauge) group rolling stock is BR era so I want to paint the loco to match. And being somewhat vain, it would be nice to have a livery that wasn't available ready to run.  

49 minutes ago, Mike_Walker said:

How's this? 

1453 appears lined green with old crest in my collection.

That is absolutely perfect- exactly the condition I was hoping to try and replicate. Thank you. 

You are quite right, now I've looked at my saved photos on Flickr I can see 1453 was an early repaint into lined green, with the early crest. In most photos she's so grimy that you can't tell but the lining is clearly visible in a picture on Flickr at Sharpness apparently in '64. I may have got my wires crossed and instead of their being a Gloucester engine in unlined green I may well have been referring to 1453- I remembered there was one that was an oddity and I suspect that was it. 

Edited by brianthesnail96