Model retailers under lockdown - those still operational

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, John Harris said:

I would suggest it's a good time to take out a subscription.  Over the counter sales will decline if people are not going out and as shops close 'for the duration'.

jh

Better still join RMweb Gold so the electronic version of BRM, and back numbers. will then be at your finger tips with no need to rely on the Postie/. And you'll get a free show ticket - er some time or other.  Overall it won't cost you much different when you factor in the cost of the show ticket .  And you'll be supporting RMweb as well and that would be really good because AY is being extremely helpful with info - like this thread - in these awkward times.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, John Harris said:

I would suggest it's a good time to take out a subscription.  Over the counter sales will decline if people are not going out and as shops close 'for the duration'.

jh

The question mark will be whether paper copies can actually be printed, as printing machines require people to be present to run them and it is not likely that they will be considered essential workers. On-line subscription may be the best way to ensure you receive your magazine. (CJL)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Narrow Planet intends to continue mail order operations where practical, with weekly despatches. Unfortunately (but understandably) our etching supplier has paused production so we will experience extended lead times on all custom etch orders until this resumes.

More details on our website: https://shop.narrowplanet.co.uk/pages/coronavirus-information

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Just been looking at the Oxford Diecast website and it says:

Quote:

In view of recent updates with coronavirus, we are suspending online orders, we trust you understand and look forward to your future support.
Eloise

01792 643 500
sales@oxforddiecast.co.uk

end quote

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Reference to a post about the shutdown of post at Hattons , I would like to add my experience today in work , I work in a warehouse supplying suitcases , our courier came today to pick up a collection in a 7.5 ton lorry that was packed to the hilt with medical supplies , my point is that if you do not need to make a purchase of a large item then don't , these couriers need space for urgent supplies in the weeks ahead of us , when I see people ordering suitcases in the UK , France , Spain , Germany where do they think they will be going. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING THAT IS NOT URGENT and allow our delivery drivers and road haulers to carry items that we only really need .

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, richscylla said:

Does the "1-out, all out" mean that they want other shops to close if they do?

Discussed elsewhere - please keep this topic to its original intent.

5 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Can they send glues through the post? Forgot to get some last week in Hereford.

There is no simple answer on that, it depends on the composition of the glue. We spent a lot of effort to categorise all goods on our website so the shipping options comply with RM restrictions. Not all Glues are classed as dangerous. The Royal Mail definitions are not really helpful on this. We had a visit from a member of the RM support team last week and they did not know, Just suggested that we ask their tech team about each product. With thousands of products that is not going to happen.

What is not so well known is that RM now require that all Blades are sent on an Age Verified service. Again the definition of "Blade" is somewhat vague. Scalpels are obvious, but are Razor Saws, Piercing saw blades etc. We are now fully compliant as we understand it, but I suspect we are in the minority.

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

A further manufacturer update: it sounds like Hornby are winding down for a pause in their despatch operations. I've been told that no new picking lists are being raised, they're just working through the backlog before they take a break.

Edited by Derails Models
  • Informative/Useful 6

Digitrains confirmed that although the shop has been closed to customers visiting in person since last weekend, normal mail order business will continue for as long as supplies are available, customers are still wishing to buy and the Government continues to allow it.

Best regards,

Paul

• Informative/Useful 5

• Administrators

As a family business Golden Valley Hobbies are still open and taking orders via our website.

Obviously our showroom is closed. We’re still shipping to Retailers too, if they need scenics or kits they can call me.

All items are being posted with the help of my daughter who’s returned from Uni – so we’re all from a single household! My other staff are working from home.

Email Address: info@goldenvalleyhobbies.com 

Web: GoldenValleyHobbies.com

Telephone No: 01981 241237   (answerphone when closed)

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Placed my first order with Green Scene yesterday evening, had shipment notification this morning.

Desperate times when I'm actually seriously considering trying out some ballasting methods...

Or it'll make since topping for the Car Mats 

• Funny 1

TTC Diecast are still doing mail order - announcement on their facebook page: 

Today, Me and Nicola have made one of the hardest decisions of our life.

We are putting peoples lives in front of our own and we have decided to shut our shop until further notice.

12 years we have worked to build this business into 'Model Shop of the Year!' with this year looking like one of our best yet, the reality of shows cancelled and now the shop closing, our business has already seen the signs of whats to come....

We are sole traders our income pays our mortgage and puts food on our table, but we have a responsibility to help save lives.... and we feel it is the right thing to do.

We will still be sending out mail order, and we ask that please, if you can, use this service as much as you can in this difficult period to give us every chance of getting through to the other side of this.

We hope to see ALL our loyal customers in the near future and ask that everyone is responsible, and lets keep these unnecessary deaths to a minimum.

Lots of Love, Chris & Nic

• Friendly/supportive 8

• Administrators

From Train-Tech:

During this very difficult time in the world we would like to reassure our customers that we design and make Train-Tech products ourselves here in Norfolk, and even now the UK is on 'lockdown', the family will continue to safely provide technical support and mail order, despatching parcels daily for as long as Royal Mail continue to operate. We will also continue to run a free help and sales line by phone every weekday between 1-4pm on 01953 457800. 

Even in such critical times we believe that hobbies like Model Railways are really important for mental and physical wellbeing, so we are also happy to try and help with anything layout related, not just about our products.

We wish you and your family well, take care.

David & Tammy

• Like 5

Marks Models in Ireland only doing Mail order now.

Called in yesterday to Cork shop and stocked up on Static grass, Superglues, Plastic glue and an Airfix Phantom!

"Please note all our shops will close this evening until further notice, however our web shop will remain open for deliveries . We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause, but in light of the current health crisis this is the only thing to do."

Please check out the website via this link  www.marksmodels.com

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

18 hours ago, dibber25 said:

The question mark will be whether paper copies can actually be printed, as printing machines require people to be present to run them and it is not likely that they will be considered essential workers. On-line subscription may be the best way to ensure you receive your magazine. (CJL)

Good point.  Well browsed copies on a newsagent's shelf might be best avoided too.

jh

• Agree 2

Models railways are not my only interest, I got this from eModels just now,

"Hello Scale model enthusiasts.

We have received guidance from our Government and they are encouraging mail order firms to stay open! So we will be staying open for mail order!"

I note the word encouraging, I assume Boris wants to carry on building his model buses?

jh

• Like 4
  • Funny 3

• Administrators

From Gaugemaster:

In order to keep each other healthy, we are now operating heavily reduced staff levels in order to maintain a safe environment. This may mean that your orders take slightly longer to arrive as there are far fewer people than usual to process them. There are fewer people to process them because anyone who can be working from home IS now working from home.

Therefore, we can no longer guarantee the next day delivery service we offer. If you select this option at check out, you will of course, go to the top of the queue (so, a premium service of sorts) but depending on how many similar orders there are already in this category, you might find that we can’t meet that delivery expectation.

We are working hard (while staying safe) to get your items to you as quickly as possible.

Thanks from all the Team at Gaugemaster

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 6