Model retailers under lockdown - those still operational

AY Mod

16 hours ago, meatloaf said:

Thank goodness for that. I was looking for some PL-10 fishplates and couldn't find any. Looking on ebay reveals some model shops trying to charge well over a tenner a pack. One of which I used to use on a regular basis for ebay purchases. Not anymore. Same goes for the shops who tried ripping people off with a single bog roll for a quid or hand gel for a tenner a bottle.

Hello, I just wanted to give you another option if you are desperate for rail joiners, we do a pack of 36 code 100 rail joiners by Bachmann for £6.58 (https://www.themodelcentre.com/44499-Bachmann-oo-ho-scale-code-100-rail-joiners-fish-plates-x36)

Also perhaps don't be too harsh on the company you quoted as selling joiners for over £10.00 as they are offering free postage, eBay is a strange place to do business and they take up to 15% in fees from the seller! 

All the best,

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Wicor-Models said:

We have decided the time has come to "rebel" against this lockdown and re-open the website for mail order only.  We will be picking and packing on Tuesdays and the packages will be despatched on a Wednesday.  Apolgies for the very limited service we can provide but until we are allowed to travel on a regular basis again this probably the best we can do.

Not sure what your specific circumstances are, but anyone is allowed to travel to and from their place of work if they cannot work from home unless there's been a new edict I'm unaware of.

• Agree 2

43 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Not sure what your specific circumstances are, but anyone is allowed to travel to and from their place of work if they cannot work from home unless there's been a new edict I'm unaware of.

There has been no new edict and no specific circumstances but as a non essential shop we have to close which means we have no work to travel to.  We have to drive to the shop with all the risks that involves and we would have to fill the car at some point and petrol pumps can be a coronavirus hotspot.  Also the government has instructed all people over the age of 70 to stay at home, even for food shopping and work, which is what we have done but we have decided with no end in sight we will see if there is still anyone out there that needs us.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Plenty of modelling time for many folk at the moment, so plenty of demand for modelling bits.  I suspect that some shops are starting to run out of some items.

I ordered yet another box of goodies from Arcadia on Friday and they arrived Saturday, excellent services.  I also recieved a big box of paints from Airbrushes.com to keep me modelling.

Thanks due to all the traders that are keeping us supplies with modelling essentials.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Parcel arrived from Buffers in Axminster today providing a couple of hard to find Parkside accessories. 

Got another one coming from TrackShack on the Isle of Man this week hopefully. It does seem that kits are running short in a number of places. 

Mike at C&M Models in Carlisle very kindly replied to a request I put on the card modelling forum so there should also be a Metalfe kit on its way from them soon. 

If only the gardening wasn’t taking up so much potential modelling time!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, MrTea said:

If only the gardening wasn’t taking up so much potential modelling time!

I'll second that! Still, need to get gardening chores out of the way before my hay fever kicks off.

• Friendly/supportive 1

17 hours ago, tmc said:

Also perhaps don't be too harsh on the company you quoted as selling joiners for over £10.00 as they are offering free postage, eBay is a strange place to do business and they take up to 15% in fees from the seller! 

All the best,

The shop selling said rail joiners doesn't actually have them in stock. If you read the description they are taking orders for when they are available again. Given Peco said to retailers not to do that as they couldn't guarantee how much stock they would get it really gets interesting especially when ebay states you should only sell what you physically have in stock even as a business seller. Also in terms of the costs the fees on that would be around £1.90 including listing fees, add in the price of a 6x4 envelope and a stamp means its works out about £3.00 costs not including the VAT and initial purchase cost of course.

For those wanting them at a lower price and that actually have them in stock Railroom Electronics have all the joiners in stock at £3.00 and have pretty much next day service along with Sherwood models who also had them in stock (i actually ordered some of the retaining walls but enquired about joiners). Both of these shops Ive ordered from in the last week and have sent items very efficiently otherwise i have no connection to either. The stuff is out there, you just need to look.

• RMweb Gold

Petersspares. The update.

Humble pie time.

My original order, which triggered the tongue in cheek sluggish comment, despite going through the order process, creating an account and entering my card details, evidently disappeared into the internet ether, and I didn't check my emails to notice that nothing was happening.

I re ordered on the 24th April, and the package arrived this morning, excellent service in any situation, let alone the current one!

Mike.

Currently wearing sackcloth and ashes.

• Like 3

I've been very productive over this lockdown and have ordered quite a lot from:

Rails of Sheffield

Bure Valley Models

TMC

Kernow

Howes

Triangman

Dapol

Model Scenery Supplies

I've found them all very good and efficient to be honest. Delivery times have been great. The only things that have taken longer have been items that were customised, but that is to be expected.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have also been spreading orders about, the latest package to arrive being some sought after track courtesy of Widnes Model Centre.

I keep thinking about buying other bits and pieces I was originally holding off until later in the year now so will probably be browsing around at the weekend once more.

• Thanks 1

Can anyone tell me if Digitrains are still operating during the lockdown?

I placed an order last weekend and have had no confirmation of order and needless to say, nothing has arrived.

I've called a number of times this afternoon with no reply.

Bob

42 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

Can anyone tell me if Digitrains are still operating during the lockdown?

I placed an order last weekend and have had no confirmation of order and needless to say, nothing has arrived.

Bob

They were certainly operating a couple of weeks ago.  I placed an on-line order, and received it within two days  . Brilliant service.  Hopefully they are still in business. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

Only taking calls between 10:00 &15:00 according to their home page Burb, but I'll guess you knew that already.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gopher said:

They were certainly operating a couple of weeks ago.  I placed an on-line order, and received it within two days  . Brilliant service.  Hopefully they are still in business. 

I placed an online order on Friday which I received on Monday - Excellent service.

18 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Only taking calls between 10:00 &15:00 according to their home page Burb, but I'll guess you knew that already.

Digitrains providing full mail order operation. I put the failure down to pilot error. When I've gone bck through the order process, I think I forgot to press the "PLACE ORDER" button.

7 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Sniggers at the back.

Would you like to come to the front and tell us all what is so funny, Mr. Mane?

Have a look on the "APCM Limited Box Van" thread. The PVV kit has broken cover. 

54 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

The PVV kit has broken cover. 

I can let my breath out then...   but I've still got my pal bricks to order.  Shuffles off to try and fix e mail problem.

P

4 hours ago, cessna152towser said:

Dapol ordered last weekend, delivered today, excellent service.

OK, but are you praising Dapol for getting the item despatched quickly, or the currently heavily overworked courier (e.g. Royal Mail, DHL, DPD, Hermes, et alia)?

Too many 'deliveries' are currently being returned to sender because it doesn't look like the recipient is in (driver not even bothering to get out of the van!)

Never forget that there are two parts to this process; supplier of goods to despatch company, despatch company to purchaser! The supplier can all too often be let down by the courier!

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1