Model retailers under lockdown - those still operational

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

OK, but are you praising Dapol for getting the item despatched quickly, or the currently heavily overworked courier (e.g. Royal Mail, DHL, DPD, Hermes, et alia)?

Too many 'deliveries' are currently being returned to sender because it doesn't look like the recipient is in (driver not even bothering to get out of the van!)

Never forget that there are two parts to this process; supplier of goods to despatch company, despatch company to purchaser! The supplier can all too often be let down by the courier!

Praise for both, Dapol for sending the items quickly and the Royal Mail for fast delivery.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well ive never shopped in so many places, lots of places ive not deal with before but certainly will again. 

In the last few weeks ive had deliveries from

Rails of Sheffiled

Hattons

Dapol

Derails

Hereford Model Centre

2k Technoligies

Kernow

AGR Models

All were delivered in good time :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

OK, but are you praising Dapol for getting the item despatched quickly, or the currently heavily overworked courier (e.g. Royal Mail, DHL, DPD, Hermes, et alia)?

Too many 'deliveries' are currently being returned to sender because it doesn't look like the recipient is in (driver not even bothering to get out of the van!)

Never forget that there are two parts to this process; supplier of goods to despatch company, despatch company to purchaser! The supplier can all too often be let down by the courier!

May I suggest a parallel thread:

• Informative/Useful 1

I find it fascinating reading this thread back.  It's almost as good as the infamous DJM thread.   You see the initial reaction, the closures and gradually more and more of the 'we're still going'.

Hindsight is such a powerful tool.  How were we to know that the lockdown would actually create a boomtime for model retailers.   It was predicted that we would turn into a nation of netflix couch potatoes.  Instead, we're planting potatoes, baking bread, laying track and building airfix.   And while all that makes me smile and think 'Good for you, Britain' there is also a part of me that feels sad for some of the high street model shops who couldn't take advantage of internet/Tele sales, completely missing the boom.  I hope that perhaps eBay or some other outlet helped them lessen the damage.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

We have added ourselves to those shops that are operational. You won't find us on one official manufacturers list as we are unable to accept deliveries.

We have explored all the suggested methods of posting on another thread. Post Office in fairness trying to help but they are swamped and only operating on very limited opening hours and service. We took parcels on Thursday at around 1130am and we were told that we had missed the collection and it would leave on Monday morning. So expect delays if you ask us to post anything.

Instead having waited for an official reply from our local MP and having been told we were acting in accordance with the restrictions. We could and  have started our own delivery service. We wanted to make sure that by doing so we weren't breaking any Lockdown restrictions.

We are trying to stick to a 20 mile radius from the shop and we have been offering a same day delivery service. All for the price of a First Class signed for parcel.

It also keeps us in touch with our customers as they get to see  us when we deliver their parcel.

Anyone fairly local to this area can call us on 0151 424 1196. 10am until 5pm. Even if we are not in the shop the call is diverted to us and we will call you back if unable to speak at that time.

• Like 6

On 02/05/2020 at 11:06, meatloaf said:

Well ive never shopped in so many places, lots of places ive not deal with before but certainly will again. 

In the last few weeks ive had deliveries from

Rails of Sheffiled

Hattons

Dapol

Derails

Hereford Model Centre

2k Technoligies

Kernow

AGR Models

All were delivered in good time :)

Thank you for your custom :)

Does anyone know a retailer who still has boxes of PECO SL-100F code 75 flexi track in stock? I’ve had a good trawl round the net today and can’t find any.

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, but thought it would catch the attention of a retailer who is still operating.

Thanks.

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Clagsniffer said:

Does anyone know a retailer who still has boxes of PECO SL-100F code 75 flexi track in stock? I’ve had a good trawl round the net today and can’t find any.

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, but thought it would catch the attention of a retailer who is still operating.

Thanks.

Arcadia have 2 boxes, phone to order not web

01706 882 900

• Thanks 1

Well done to Kernow Models for their excellent mail order service.  I have ordered a number of things over the last few weeks and they have all arrived in 1-3 days, despite not paying the premium service.

Many thanks to them and all the postmen / delivery drivers who are helping to make this lockdown tolerable - (while gradually lowering my bank balance.)

Stay safe everyone - and keep those trains running.

Edited by fezza
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Clagsniffer said:

Thanks.

We have a few boxes in stock

best to call us.

• RMweb Gold

Another shop & website, not often mentioned, is 'Topslots 'n' Trains' in  Fleetwood, Lancashire  (website www.topslotsntrains.com )

Ordered a Piko G scale coach yesterday morning and it's just turned up. Excellent service by them and DHL

• Agree 1

On 07/04/2020 at 23:25, sidmouth said:

Speaking tonight with Tony's Trains of Rugby it seems Peco stuff is getting hard to get . Shops can't replenish as Peco are suspended for the duration . Not sure whether Peco has separate despatch but with good social distancing there is business out there for them 

He's my local model shop. Once it's over I'm going to get some boards together and start doing something. I can't right away as I'm currently furloughed and money's tight. Plus my stuff is still either in storage or in my mum's garage near Brighton. It's all sealed though so not urgent. I managed to find the shop, although not without initially going the wrong side of the building and having to reverse out. That was pretty hairy I have to say.

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Top marks to Track shack and Royal Mail. Less than 24 hours after ordering a new loco was in my hands. Sent 1st class, so no special delivery service for extra speed. 

The only down side was that one of my sons intercepted the postman and took the package up to my wife... Whoops. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 03/05/2020 at 09:51, Widnes Model Centre said:

Instead having waited for an official reply from our local MP and having been told we were acting in accordance with the restrictions. We could and  have started our own delivery service. We wanted to make sure that by doing so we weren't breaking any Lockdown restrictions.

The above is interesting as when I took legal advice on the matter, I was told under no circumstances could I suddenly start a delivery service as I was primarily a model shop, not a delivery or transport company and therefore I did not have key worker status. In starting a delivery service I would be deliberately trying to circumvent the lockdown, would be making un-necessary journeys delivering non essential goods and therefore risking spread of the virus.

I was advised the test would be - is there a reasonable alternative? The answer being yes, you can use Royal Mail, DHL, FedEx etc, all of which have key worker status as dictated by govt. guidelines. The cost of these services is another matter...……...

The only possible exception to above would be for example , a butcher starting to deliver fresh meat, obviously it would not be possible to send via a normal carrier so the butcher could then perform a delivery service as there would be no real alternative plus food is an essential item.  

By the same virtue, we could not start a click and collect service ( putting lockers outside shop for customer to pick up from ) as we are a non essential shop. We would therefore be encouraging customers to make un-necessary journeys to collect what were deemed to be non essential items and again, there is an alternative to get the goods to the customer. 

As we already know, the debate about if shops could or could not sell non essential items if they were permitted to open has been a source of confusion and conflict across the country.      

Anyway, hopefully the indications are that we may see an easing of restrictions soon, life becomes a little easier and that we can re-open albeit with strict practices in place. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

An interesting conundrum!

On the one hand:

42 minutes ago, Baz's said:

By the same virtue, we could not start a click and collect service ( putting lockers outside shop for customer to pick up from ) as we are a non essential shop. We would therefore be encouraging customers to make un-necessary journeys to collect what were deemed to be non essential items and again, there is an alternative to get the goods to the customer. 

As we already know, the debate about if shops could or could not sell non essential items if they were permitted to open has been a source of confusion and conflict across the country.      

Anyway, hopefully the indications are that we may see an easing of restrictions soon, life becomes a little easier and that we can re-open albeit with strict practices in place. 

Whilst, on the other:

On 24/03/2020 at 09:54, Widnes Model Centre said:

UK cabinet minister Michael Gove has been asked to provide more clarity on the government guidelines announced on Monday night.

Speaking on Radio 4's Today programme, he said:

Chancellor Rishi Sunak will outline more help for self-employed workers later

Deliveries of "non-essential" goods such as toys and clothes can continue

He says people should work from home "wherever possible" but there will be exceptions. For example, he says plumbers may be called out to emergencies but Sports Direct stores "should not be open"

Ministers want to "reduce the rate of infection" and will follow scientific advice on whether or not to change the measures after three weeks

Children under the age of 18 can travel between the homes of separated parents - a point he reiterated on Twitter:

There is, perhaps, an argument which suggests that, in general, the support of any leisure activity be regarded as indirectly essential so as to maintain the sanity / health / wellbeing of those in enforced lockdown!

Whilst key, or front line, workers are justly being hailed and applauded, I see an analogy (without offence to any party!) to the duck swimming across the pond; serene above the water, frantic activity below!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baz's said:

The above is interesting as when I took legal advice on the matter, I was told under no circumstances could I suddenly start a delivery service as I was primarily a model shop, not a delivery or transport company and therefore I did not have key worker status. In starting a delivery service I would be deliberately trying to circumvent the lockdown, would be making un-necessary journeys delivering non essential goods and therefore risking spread of the virus.

I was advised the test would be - is there a reasonable alternative? The answer being yes, you can use Royal Mail, DHL, FedEx etc, all of which have key worker status as dictated by govt. guidelines. The cost of these services is another matter...……...

The only possible exception to above would be for example , a butcher starting to deliver fresh meat, obviously it would not be possible to send via a normal carrier so the butcher could then perform a delivery service as there would be no real alternative plus food is an essential item.  

Having checked with the Law Makers and waited some considerable time to get an answer, if I was you l would check the advice given by someone interpreting the law.. I was given the example of Interflora who deliver all over the country using the florist’s own delivery vehicle.

The butcher is allowed to be open so does he need to operate a delivery service? You are allowed to go food shopping so can visit the butcher.

Does travelling to the Post Office with non-essentail goods constitute necessary travel?

Edited by Widnes Model Centre
  • Like 1

Today I placed an order with Durham trains of Stanley. 45 minute later and conforming to all current social distancing rules the order was on my front doorstep.

"Bl**dy He11", I said to myself.

P

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

Having checked with the Law Makers and waited some considerable time to get an answer, if I was you l would check the advice given by someone interpreting the law.. I was given the example of Interflora who deliver all over the country using the florist’s own delivery vehicle.

The butcher is allowed to be open so does he need to operate a delivery service? You are allowed to go food shopping so can visit the butcher.

Does travelling to the Post Office with non-essentail goods constitute necessary travel?

Advice came from my solicitor who I understand sought clarification.  He also  used flowers as an example ( one of many items that  get delivered daily ) and that flowers can be classified as fresh produce with a short shelf life , therefore like a butcher, a florist can provide a delivery service. Model trains , equipment etc do not tend to be perishable or have a short shelf life and therefore a recognized haulier / courier must be used .

Also stated that if you think about it, if every shop in country who could not open started delivering goods in their own vehicles it would completely negate the object of lockdown.     

Butcher might operate delivery service for vulnerable who are unable to get to shop and with regard to the post office, I agree with you but as the govt. have decreed they can open, then you can use them. Again, if you think about it, the govt. cannot advocate companies to continue supplying by mail order but then say you cannot go to the post office to do so.     

3 hours ago, Baz's said:

Advice came from my solicitor who I understand sought clarification.  He also  used flowers as an example ( one of many items that  get delivered daily ) and that flowers can be classified as fresh produce with a short shelf life , therefore like a butcher, a florist can provide a delivery service. Model trains , equipment etc do not tend to be perishable or have a short shelf life and therefore a recognized haulier / courier must be used .

Also stated that if you think about it, if every shop in country who could not open started delivering goods in their own vehicles it would completely negate the object of lockdown.     

Butcher might operate delivery service for vulnerable who are unable to get to shop and with regard to the post office, I agree with you but as the govt. have decreed they can open, then you can use them. Again, if you think about it, the govt. cannot advocate companies to continue supplying by mail order but then say you cannot go to the post office to do so.     

I am not quite sure why you seemed to have joined this forum and immediately posted that what we are doing is against the Law as you were advised you couldn’t do it. 

If only as you say recognised hauliers/ couriers are allowed to carry non essential goods how come the likes of Curries, Argos, Ikea, ao.com, Amazon etc can do so? They all have their own delivery service. 

We closed our doors a week before Lockdown and only within the last week or so started up again. Only after we were given the information that what we asked was confirmed, we could deliver. We then had to upgrade at considerable cost our vehicles insurance to cover delivery.

This has been a very fluid situation and things have changed since the PM’s initial announcement. The media published their interpretation and continue to do so. Many people were led to believe that unless they were key workers they couldn’t go to work. That was identified as being misinformation. Were we live skips are being delivered on a regular basis as people occupy themselves with home/garden. Is the skip driver a key worker? Local authorities have reopened Recycling Centres. The local Police are giving regular updates as to waiting times as these locations. Have you seen any Government ministers saying you can leave your home to visit the local tip?

Can l just ask if you are operating any form of business as you are not identifying if you are indeed a model shop? Did you not consider contacting us to raise these issues before posting in a public forum? We will be in the shop at 10am today if you feel the need to discuss this further. 0151 424 1196. Or perhaps you could check with your solicitor that the advice he gave you was correct.

Edited by Widnes Model Centre
Couldn’t sleep after reading this last night!
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

6 hours ago, Baz's said:

I thought that most shops that cannot open have set up home delivery services. You might have a wait to get on line and you will probably have a longer wait than usual for delivery, but most things are available as they have always been. The biggest problem is that in many cases supplies cannot be obtained to replace stock that has sold out.

The local window cleaner is working, subject to restrictions, the local builder ditto, a skip lorry has just arrived over the road and they have had several deliveries of building material. One major contractor and one DIY outfit seem to be working very efficiently. Ironically the two residents are working from home and help to load and unload the lorries. They all seem to have received legal advice that is considerably different from that received by you. How does it affect the lockdown and the spread of the virus? All concerned seem to be happy with the situation. I see other people who are doing far more risky things.

One for the legal experts. What is the situation re buying and collecting a young puppy? There is a new dog in the road that has obviously been a work in progress for several months. It arrived safely from outside the UK at the weekend. Quite a complicated undertaking, but essential for the welfare of the dog and the breeder and the new owner.

As I said in another thread, those that can adapt will survive, those that cannot could well close. Good luck to all those people in the model trade, who are finding ways to continue and are providing an essential service in these difficult times.

Bernard

• Like 4

Hi,

Does any know if Tim Horn is continuing to work through the Lockdown?

I ordered some baseboards from him a couple of weeks before the lockdown started, and I'm sort of expecting them next week, but haven't had any word off Tim (or request for payment).

I don't want to email him and ask purely because he was extremely busy when I ordered them, and I can imagine he is getting lots of emails asking about orders!

Simon

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 25/04/2020 at 21:21, spamcan61 said:

No idea who these folk are, but they claim to have some in stock:-

https://www.modelmaniacs.co.uk/product/peco-pl-80-power-feed-joiners-code-100-and-code-124-rail/

They are local to me and are more an RC plane place than railways.

Worth a mention because if you are local they deliver to your house for free :)

I won’t be counting much though 

I've done myself a mischief during my hour of exercise on Tuesday 

I have an appointment with a surgeon this afternoon to discuss how he is going to piece my right collarbone back together (it’s currently in 4 bits)

Edited by Trains4U
  • Friendly/supportive 18