Jump to content

OO Works announce LSWR '0330' Class Saddletank


Recommended Posts

OO Works have announced their latest model

 

LSWR '0330' Class Saddletank.

 

LSWR Holly Green Nº316

SR Black Lined Nº0334

K&ESR Apple Green Nº4

EKR Apple Green Nº7

 

Due for release mid 2020. 

£279.00 + P&P

NowTaking Orders.

Edited by PrestburyJack
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cute loco. Unfortunately, they were all scrapped from SR use before my period of interest, and £279 is just too much to blow on simply 'cute'. :(

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 0330 survived to British Railways, K&ESR No.4 it was in poor condition and probably never steamed it was not allocated a BR number and was broken up at Ashford in 1948. 

A second one was derelict at Eastleigh, and was broken up some time in the 1940's, my thinking is that it was held for a source of spares for K&ESR No.4.

The cost doesn't worry me as a kit built one recently went for £270, now to put my order in for a couple.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robin Verth said:

1 0330 survived to British Railways, K&ESR No.4 it was in poor condition and probably never steamed it was not allocated a BR number and was broken up at Ashford in 1948. 

A second one was derelict at Eastleigh, and was broken up some time in the 1940's, my thinking is that it was held for a source of spares for K&ESR No.4.

 

Unusually, I could find nothing on SEMG, so fell back to this on Wackypeedya:

 

Quote

All passed to the Southern Railway at the grouping in 1923. Withdrawals started the following year, and by the end of 1930, only five remained. Numbers 0128 and 0423 went in 1931, 0335 was sold to Kent and East Sussex Railway in 1932, and the last two, 0332 and 0334 being withdrawn by the Southern Railway in 1933, after 57 years of service. All were scrapped, K&ESR No.4 (ex 0335) lasting until 1948.

 

It appears that there were none on SR after 1933 (if Wackypeedya is to be trusted), which is unfortunate.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On the ooworks  site a history of the class one lasted until 1959 at Rothwell colliery, another was loaned to the K&ESR for a time, this was in grey it's number was stencilled on the underframe, there is a picture of it in the book Rails To Tenterden.

 

  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

From the OO Works website (but I don't know where they got the information from):

 

LSWR/SR ‘0330’ Class (Saddletanks)

 

These where built by Beyer Peacock and Co from 1867 for the Swedish, Australian, Belgian,  London and South Western Railway and several other railways including British Collieries.

A total of 20 been supplied to the LS&WR between 1876 to 1882 for shunting duties at Nine Elms Dorchester, Exeter Guilford, Basingstoke, Northam, Salisbury, Portsmouth, Strawberry Hill, Fratton, Eastleigh, Bournemouth and were also seen on engineer’s train including the construction of the Lyme Regis branch.

All entered Southern Railway stock at the grouping and by now some were being re-boilered and only nine received Southern Railway Livery with the last two 0332 and 0334 being withdrawn from Southern in 1933 but ended up remaining derelict at Eastleigh and not being broken up until 1949.

In 1925 Colonel Stephens bought Nº127 which left Eastleigh Works painted light green lettered EKR Nº7 and worked until 1945.

In 1932 0335 went to the K&ESR and was re-numbered No4 until being laid aside in 1946 and was broken up at Ashford in 1948 having spent 72 years in service.

In 1879 an 0-6-0ST was purchased & put to work on the Stratford Upon Avon to Broom Line, it was sold in 1890 to Rothervale Collieries Co in South Yorkshire, (Later NCB.) I believe this was the last example in Britain which was not scrapped until 1959 bearing the number 0.

 

 

Edited by PrestburyJack
Spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites

It would seem that the locomotives sent to LSWR/SR, and from there to EKR/KESR, were not the same as those sent to collieries.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A direct web-link would be useful, as I suspect I'm not the only one who has no idea what an LSWR '0330' Class Saddletank looks like - here it is:

 

https://ooworks.co.uk/

 

Can anyone point us to photographs of the full size locomotive?  I've tried a quick Google which, unusually, hasn't come with anything.

 

John Storey

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, it's-er said:

Can anyone point us to photographs of the full size locomotive?  I've tried a quick Google which, unusually, hasn't come with anything.

 I did a quick Google search, selected 'Images', and the first few were of the 0330, including on the KESR

Link to post
Share on other sites

Doing a Google search brings up this image from Flickr (link https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/29445343228 )

What Where and When?

 

While the image doesn't show the 0330 very well, it is (per the Flickr description) the Kent & East Sussex Railway sometime after May 1932.

 

Now while those coaches are likely problematic, the Hattons Genesis coaches could be more than acceptable substitutes for a small layout.

 

But, further Google searching reveals that there is still a Kent & East Sussex Railway, though this time a preserved railway on part of the former Kent & East Sussex.  Among the locos on the current heritage railway are Terriers.

 

So by be careful of what details to include on the layout (or making the details easily swappable), one layout could serve two distinct eras offering justifiable rolling stock differences to provide variety even on a very small layout.

  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mdvle said:

those coaches are likely problematic

 

Those precise coaches might be problematic, but the KESR purchased passenger rolling stock from a number of different sources:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_and_East_Sussex_Railway#Passenger_stock

 

IMO, the bigger problem would be determining the livery. Unchanged from original ownership or line-specific?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 24/03/2020 at 21:22, PrestburyJack said:

From the OO Works website (but I don't know where they got the information from):

 

LSWR/SR ‘0330’ Class (Saddletanks)

 

These where built by Beyer Peacock and Co from 1867 for the Swedish, Australian, Belgian,  London and South Western Railway and several other railways including British Collieries.

A total of 20 been supplied to the LS&WR between 1876 to 1882 for shunting duties at Nine Elms Dorchester, Exeter Guilford, Basingstoke, Northam, Salisbury, Portsmouth, Strawberry Hill, Fratton, Eastleigh, Bournemouth and were also seen on engineer’s train including the construction of the Lyme Regis branch.

 

In 1925 Colonel Stephens bought Nº127 which left Eastleigh Works painted light green lettered EKR Nº7 and worked until 1945.

 

 

 

 

Unfortunately the description for EKR number 7 is not quite correct. Taken from Oakwood Library of Railway History no 127B (The East Kent Railway Volume 2). We have (with at least 4 photos):

She was sold to the EKR in August 1925 for £380. But she left Eastleigh works on 9th January 1926. She then spent several days on the KESR before finally arriving at Shepherdswell on the 15th January 1926.

 

As received, she was painted Black with E K R on the cab side sheets and a matching 7 on the bunker sides (supported by a photo in the book). The markings were applied in yellow shaded red. The buffer beam carried a "No. 7" to the right of the coupling hook.

By 1928 a new buffer beam had been fitted, this had a larger "No" to the left of the coupling hook with a larger "7" to the right.

 

In 1935 and 1936, the loco underwent a lot of minor changes. First the chimney was patched up with a brass wrapper. Then a new Smokebox was designed and built (bigger than the old one) and this was fabricated at Ashford (SR) works and fitted at Shepherdswell. She then got a GW chimney, most probably taken from EKR No.1. So form here onwards, the new smokebox made her no longer look like the front of a LSWR 0330. The Chimney only added to the dramatic change. (again photos show it).

It was after these modifications that she was repainted in SR passenger green (as the EKR called it), fully lined out. Black edge bands with inside white lining were applied to the cab front, top and bottom side sheets, bunker sides and end, splashers and saddle tank. A Black band lined white on both inside and out was applied to the sandboxes. The dome was painted and the GWR copper cap of the chimney was left black. The E K R lettering was now on the sides of the saddletank below the handrail with 7 painted on the cab side sheets. These were yellow and most probably unshaded (photos hint they were not, and an eyewitness suggests they were...). In 1946, the 7 had black shading below and to the right. Wheels were green with the hubs having a black band lined white inside and out. The buffer shanks, buffer beam, gaurd irons and coupling rods were all Vermilion. The Buffer beams again carried No to the left and 7 to the right of the coupling hook yellow shaded black to the left and below. These seem to have disappeared by 1946.

 

The OO works model would accurate for when she was on the EKR in early days painted black. She would look prettier in later days though the front face would be wrong.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 08/04/2020 at 08:49, JSpencer said:


Unfortunately the description for EKR number 7 is not quite correct. Taken from Oakwood Library of Railway History no 127B (The East Kent Railway Volume 2).............

 

The OO works model would accurate for when she was on the EKR in early days painted black. She would look prettier in later days though the front face would be wrong.

 

I've forwarded your post to Roderick Bruce of OO Works.

Edited by PrestburyJack
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PrestburyJack said:

 

I've forwarded your post to Roderick Bruce of OO Works.

Thanks. I can send him more details from the book if he is interested.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/03/2020 at 09:22, mdvle said:

Doing a Google search brings up this image from Flickr (link https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/29445343228 )

What Where and When?

 

While the image doesn't show the 0330 very well, it is (per the Flickr description) the Kent & East Sussex Railway sometime after May 1932.

 

Now while those coaches are likely problematic, the Hattons Genesis coaches could be more than acceptable substitutes for a small layout.

 

But, further Google searching reveals that there is still a Kent & East Sussex Railway, though this time a preserved railway on part of the former Kent & East Sussex.  Among the locos on the current heritage railway are Terriers.

 

So by be careful of what details to include on the layout (or making the details easily swappable), one layout could serve two distinct eras offering justifiable rolling stock differences to provide variety even on a very small layout.

 

Great picture, and a great coincidence as I'm currently building a model of the brake coach; ex-GER 21'8" 2-compartment brake third.

 

Thank you for posting.

 

2017899254_GERBrakeThird-Copy(2).jpg.008c0fdaf5fae4ca7dc5bb5c562c722f.jpg

 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...

.

 

I have just received my OO Works LSWR '0330' Class Saddle tank, the LSWR Holly Green Nº 316 version.

 

Lovely little tank well finished and very pretty  -  I can't wait for some more LSWR wagons and the "generic" 4 and 6-wheel coaches in LSWR liveries.

 

Excellent.

 

.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/07/2020 at 06:15, phil gollin said:

.

 

I have just received my OO Works LSWR '0330' Class Saddle tank, the LSWR Holly Green Nº 316 version.

 

Lovely little tank well finished and very pretty  -  I can't wait for some more LSWR wagons and the "generic" 4 and 6-wheel coaches in LSWR liveries.

 

Excellent.

 

.

Hi Phil,

Any chance of posting a photo here of this loco please?

Cheers,

Chris

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 12:15, phil gollin said:

.

 

I have just received my OO Works LSWR '0330' Class Saddle tank, the LSWR Holly Green Nº 316 version.

 

Lovely little tank well finished and very pretty  -  I can't wait for some more LSWR wagons and the "generic" 4 and 6-wheel coaches in LSWR liveries.

 

Excellent.

 

.

Be careful, of the twenty locos only 6 of them were fitted with vacuum ejectors for carriage shutning at Clapham Junction and running the Kensington (Addison Road) Service.  No. 316 was not one of these.    Note that 316 only carried this number from December 1899 (renumbered from 0227) until june 1912 when it was placed on the duplicate list as 0316 (indicated by a line underneath the number).  at this time it seems to have been based at Northam (southampton); later at Nine Elms.

 

All data from Bradley

  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.